Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Was just thinking with the introduction of a cheaper iPhone couldn't apple take that design make it out of aluminum. The S models have always been an upgrade from the model that came before it the intro of a cheaper model would negate the need for a S model.

Apple could've used the 5 as a bridge device and make a whole new iPhone. it could feature a bigger screen more powerful while offering the cheaper version with last years specs and a plastic shell. In one fell swoop cut production cost of producing the 5 while increasing their margins at the same time with the new model.

This 2 models system works on every other line Apple currently has. If you look at the iPad mini imagine if Apple took that design and came with an iPhone with a slightly larger screen and better specs for people who want that and still have a cheaper smaller alternative which is still more powerful than anything the competition offers. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I've learned with Apple to always expect the "worst" rumor available, so that I'm either happily surprised or I'm not terribly disappointed.

We've now had 4 years of data (3, 3Gs, 4, 4s) letting us know that Apple likes its "tick / tock" design cycle. My money's on that they stick with the 5s (with the same 5 design).

Just my opinion though :)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Sometimes when we do not have a lot to do we allow our minds to wander.

If you want big change, you will need to wait till the 6. :cool:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The "all aluminum" design is problematic with current radio tech. That is to say, your signal would be horrible or nonexistent because it won't penetrate well at all. At least that is my understanding of it, anyway.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
In recent years it's impossible to keep new devices away from leaks and photos. I've done to realize most rumors from credible sources are normally correct. And, there has been no reliable rumor of a newly designed iPhone.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
new iPhone

That would be cool but two innovative for the new Apple without Steve. They will introduce the same old mediocre model as last year. So ho hum.

Was just thinking with the introduction of a cheaper iPhone couldn't apple take that design make it out of aluminum. The S models have always been an upgrade from the model that came before it the intro of a cheaper model would negate the need for a S model.

Apple could've used the 5 as a bridge device and make a whole new iPhone. it could feature a bigger screen more powerful while offering the cheaper version with last years specs and a plastic shell. In one fell swoop cut production cost of producing the 5 while increasing their margins at the same time with the new model.

This 2 models system works on every other line Apple currently has. If you look at the iPad mini imagine if Apple took that design and came with an iPhone with a slightly larger screen and better specs for people who want that and still have a cheaper smaller alternative which is still more powerful than anything the competition offers. Just a thought

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
The "all aluminum" design is problematic with current radio tech. That is to say, your signal would be horrible or nonexistent because it won't penetrate well at all. At least that is my understanding of it, anyway.

The iPad Mini is all aluminum and has no problems picking up a signal it has a strip on the back for signals to pass through

----------

In recent years it's impossible to keep new devices away from leaks and photos. I've done to realize most rumors from credible sources are normally correct. And, there has been no reliable rumor of a newly designed iPhone.

Not if they're developing it under the guise that we think we know what's coming use the 5s body to make sure everything fits while the whole time preparing to release a whole new model. Nobody saw the Mac Pro Coming no one

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I think the budget iPhone will be the 5S and the premium phone will be the 6 (regardless of big design change or not). This way Apple can stop iPhone 4S and 5 sales and have better margins with the budget 5S and the premium 6. This would result in an S and regular model every year which would make them easy to differentiate.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

I'm not sure how the plastic iPhone negates the "need" for an S-model iPhone. First off, I don't necessarily accept that there is a "need" for an S-model phone at all; it's simply part of an established refresh cycle for the iPhone. The S-cycle allows Apple to continue to use the manufacturing established for the shell of the iPhone while refreshing the internal components; it's a cost-savings measure to present a new phone without having to completely reinvent the wheel. The S-cycle is not specifically designed to reinvent the older model iPhones as cheaper alternatives anymore than the 4 or 5 models were; it's just a natural consequence of introducing a new model phone.

The plastic iPhone is being designed to meet a specific market that the iPhone doesn't currently reach. Even the "cheaper" older models are more expensive than a lot of the plastic Android alternatives that are crushing that market. Apple is taking a gamble that they can, with a new manufacturing process, meet Android on an even playing field with their new phone. I don't seen any reason why that would or should impact the "premium" iPhone line, so I fully expect that the 5S is going to stick to that refresh cycle.

This is 100% speculation based on nothing other than what you want to happen. There's no reason to suspect that what you're guessing at is true; it's much more logical to assume that nothing is changing in regard to the S-cycle. Not only this year will they be cutting production costs of the 5 by moving to a plastic shell, they can continue to manufacture the premium 5 casing while refreshing the internals and really increasing their margins. From a cost-perspective it makes a lot more sense to keep the current 5 housing for the 5S as opposed to investing in the manufacturing process for it and then abandoning it in a year just to surprise fanboys.

I'm not saying that you're wrong; you absolutely could be right. But at this point there's no reason to suspect that what you're saying is true; it's wishful thinking at best. I have a hard time believing at this point that if a new iPhone 6 model had been developed and were being manufactured that, like the plastic iPhone casing, we wouldn't have seen anything by now. Your comparison to the MacBook Pro doesn't really compute; Macs aren't nearly as popular as iPhones and the attention paid to them by the general public is miniscule compared to the iPhone. Also, slipping a MacBook screen or unibody casing off the manufacturing line is a whole different logistical problem than just slipping an iPhone casing into your pocket.

Finally, there has been no rumbling at all from analysts, insiders, or others that an iPhone 6 is on the horizon. That's just not realistic. If there was even a hint of an iPhone 6 coming instead of a 5S, insiders would be climbing all over each other to get that scoop. I think that evidence clearly points to an S-cycle release, which we should all be expecting at this point. Hoping for anything else is really just going to leave you disappointed.

----------

I think the budget iPhone will be the 5S and the premium phone will be the 6 (regardless of big design change or not). This way Apple can stop iPhone 4S and 5 sales and have better margins with the budget 5S and the premium 6. This would result in an S and regular model every year which would make them easy to differentiate.

Regardless of what they call it, it will be an S-cycle "type" of release at best. I don't believe that Apple is going to reinvent the body style of the iPhone every year.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The iPad Mini is all aluminum and has no problems picking up a signal it has a strip on the back for signals to pass through

That would make it not an all aluminum design by definition, at least not in the same way that we are seeing the all plastic design on this "budget iPhone". Sort of the same way the original iPhone was also not quite ALL aluminum. That is my point, nothing more.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
My opinion: There will be an iPhone 5S and "cheaper" iPhone.

I see no reason why they would do away with their tick-tock update cycle. And if they do, it would be a big surprise.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

----------

Not if they're developing it under the guise that we think we know what's coming use the 5s body to make sure everything fits while the whole time preparing to release a whole new model. Nobody saw the Mac Pro Coming no one

No one saw the Mac Pro coming as it wasn't in production, made in the US and not abroad, not a high-volume product, not immediately available to buy and Apple admitted it was only a 'sneak peak'.

The iPhone is going to be going into production soon in China where leaks seem to be much more common. They'll also be producing millions of them.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
No one saw the Mac Pro coming as it wasn't in production, made in the US and not abroad, not a high-volume product, not immediately available to buy and Apple admitted it was only a 'sneak peak'.

The iPhone is going to be going into production soon in China where leaks seem to be much more common. They'll also be producing millions of them.

Exactly all I'm saying is if they could hide that easily they could take the exact steps to hide a new model iphone. It's all speculation in the end it's macrumors

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Exactly all I'm saying is if they could hide that easily they could take the exact steps to hide a new model iphone. It's all speculation in the end it's macrumors

What I'm trying to say though is that it's much, much easier to conceal a Mac Pro than an iPhone, due to reasons above.
As much as I hope I'm wrong, pretty sure we'll be seeing a 5S this year.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
What I'm trying to say though is that it's much, much easier to conceal a Mac Pro than an iPhone, due to reasons above.
As much as I hope I'm wrong, pretty sure we'll be seeing a 5S this year.

I have a feeling your right but it would be nice if thy threw a haymaker out there like here you go take this

applelover1016

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I feel like if there was something completely new coming, there would've been some leak of it. Even though I believe this year we'll be getting a 5s with an internal spec boost, I pray i'm wrong lol would love for apple to shake things up:rolleyes:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

This is exactly what I've been thinking and had posted in another thread, I believe Apple will break tradition and offer the iP6 this year.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

What about the HTC One....isn't it aluminum?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The S models have always been an upgrade from the model that came before it the intro of a cheaper model would negate the need for a S model.
The cheaper model does not negate the need for the S. The S's are the latest and greatest at the time of their release.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What about the HTC One....isn't it aluminum?

There are bands sepparating aluminum pieces from eachother. I haven't looked it up, but I imagine they act the same way the out aluminum tri on the iPhone 4 and 4S do.

That said, poor LTE reception is a common complaint with that phone, at least on xda.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012

I don't think they will introduce another screen size this soon after they went to 4 inch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.