Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Thursday altered its iTunes Terms and Conditions to permit children under the age of 13 to operate individual iTunes accounts created at the request of an "approved educational institution," reports Macworld.

Previously, Apple restricted iTunes accounts to children aged 13 or older, but the company announced it would be changing its policy with the release of iOS 7.
These App and Book Services are only available for individuals aged 13 years or older, unless you are under 13 years old and your Apple ID was provided to you as a result of a request by an approved educational institution. If you are 13 or older but under the age of 18, you should review this Agreement with your parent or guardian to make sure that you and your parent or guardian understand it.
With Apple's new educational policies, schools will have a program to facilitate Apple obtaining "verifiable parental consent for personal Apple IDs for students under age 13." In addition, Apple also plans to introduce better tools for teachers.

ios7education.jpg
iOS 7, which is expected to be released to the public in the fall, offers new Mobile Device Management options allowing teachers to set up managed apps, configure accessibility options, and restrict changes to accounts. Teachers will be able to lock student iPads to a particular app as well, to ensure that students are "on the same activity at the same time."

The new operating system will also bring an App Store Volume Purchase Program designed to allow educational institutions to assign apps to users while maintaining ownership and control over app licenses.

Apple's policy shift comes as the company continues its push for iPads in educational institutions. Apple has been involved in several large deals in recent months and won a $30 million contract from the L.A. Unified School District in June that will see the district purchasing iPads for every student in its 47 schools. Apple also met with the Turkish President earlier this year about a potential $4.5 billion deal that would provide Turkish schoolchildren with as many as 15 million tablets.

Article Link: Apple Revises iTunes Terms and Conditions to Allow Educational iTunes Accounts for Children Under 13

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
$4.5B is a drop in the bucket for our national budget, why not buy ipads for 15M Ameican school children? Spread out over three years of use that's only $1.5B a year.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is basically like 'Kids Mode' on the Nexus 7..

I have to laugh that apple is *only* now finally impleteung this into their products...

All i have to say is.... "What took ya ??"

A welcome, never the less... Not only popular for kids either :)

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012

I have to laugh that apple is *only* now finally impleteung this into their products...

You are very wrong.

This has nothing to do with parental restriction or similar options - which have been available on iOS for years, before stuff like that had been implemented in Android - this is legal stuff necessary for kids to have their own Apple ID.

This way, a school doesn't need to create Apple IDs A1 to Z99 for their students, but instead the students can create their own Apple IDs and keep stuff they have bought on the school-supplied iPad.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Was just talking with an administrator the other day and the "assignable" licenses was #1 roadblock he saw to greater adoption, without this they have no easy ( and legal ) way to deal with assignment of apps to users. This will be a start but there are still a lot of problems with the iPad's and other iOS devices in education that need to be worked out before they are more viable.

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I can see it now. Children will be exploited because apple mishandled their personal data...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

This way, a school doesn't need to create Apple IDs A1 to Z99 for their students, but instead the students can create their own Apple IDs and keep stuff they have bought on the school-supplied iPad.

What about the kids that aren't at schools that are using iOS devices.

I think I like my cousins version of this idea better. Make it a sub account of the parents, who can set account level controls etc

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012

I have to laugh at you who seem so eager to cheer for Android. May be better luck next time.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013

Please do explain why this is "basically like Kids Mode on the Nexus 7".

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
What about the kids that aren't at schools that are using iOS devices.

I think I like my cousins version of this idea better. Make it a sub account of the parents, who can set account level controls etc

i think this whole "You must be over thirteen years old"-stuff is less of a problem when looking at personal iTunes accounts.

Was there ever a mom or dad who stopped shopping for an iPod Touch for their ten year old kid, when they heard that they can't legally create an iTunes account for them?

There are probably millions of ten year olds on Facebook.

This is much more important for schools, because they want to give pupils iPads for school, but young kids can't create their own iTunes accounts schools can't just tell them to lie when entering the date of birth and generic iTunes accounts created by schools are not the optimal solution.

That's why this verifiable parental consent stuff is so important for educational purposes and less important for personal accounts.

Parents can always enter a wrong birthdate, making their child older - but schools can't.

Please do explain why this is "basically like Kids Mode on the Nexus 7".

He never actually read the article or only the subject line with the word "children" in it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of parental controls or a kids mode.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Not even close to the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire's way of doing it. Read before you post.

I can see it now. Children will be exploited because apple mishandled their personal data...

It's going to be restricted. Only apps/books that the school approves will be downloadable.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is what it's all about. Getting those kiddies acquainted with the iTunes/App Store ecosystem. It's a great idea.

It's also what those low cost iPhones are all about. Making more money off that 30% cut Apple get from App Devs and then their music/money services.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This is what it's all about. Getting those kiddies acquainted with the iTunes/App Store ecosystem. It's a great idea.

It's also what those low cost iPhones are all about. Making more money off that 30% cut Apple get from App Devs and then their music/money services.

Yeah, those kids could grow up thinking it's actually ok to pay for software. Pretty disgusting, Apple!

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
The new operating system will also bring an App Store Volume Purchase Program that is designed to allow educational institutions to assign apps to users while maintaining ownership and control over app licenses.​
So a school can buy 50 copies/licences of an App and sign them to 50 students' AppleIDs then at the end of the year revoke the licences and sign them to a different 50 AppleIDs?
So the AppleIDs stays with the student, but the apps are owned by the school? This seem like a great solution app don't need to be re-bought every year.

Will iOS7 allow multiple AppleIDs to be used on one iPad, in schools that do not have a 1:1 iPad program this would be great. Currently every iPad has to use the one school AppleID

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012

Kinda reminds me of Goolgles find my iPhone clone they just barely released into or at least briefed. What is that, 3 years and they 'finally' caught on?

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001

You can laugh, but it was Apple that got the contract to get tablets in the hands of LAUSD's 600,000+ students, not Google. Who's laughing now?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i think this whole "You must be over thirteen years old"-stuff is less of a problem when looking at personal iTunes accounts.

Was there ever a mom or dad who stopped shopping for an iPod Touch for their ten year old kid, when they heard that they can't legally create an iTunes account for them?

No they just lie. If only to create an account for things like iCloud where they want to be able to track a lost whatever. But not have the kids getting their contacts, or worse, deleting them

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Cheap iPhone=color options=children under 13
Yep, them leaks are all tarting to all add up.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011

And so what if it is like it? Apple is "impleteuing" what again? I'm not an Apple apologist by any means, however, you're so eager to promote Android and put Apple down is trollish.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
I want just like Windows 8 multi user. So that my girlfriend can use the same tablet with her account when we are on a holiday and don't want to carry more than one tablet.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I want just like Windows 8 multi user. So that my girlfriend can use the same tablet with her account when we are on a holiday and don't want to carry more than one tablet.

This news has nothing to do with that.

This is NOT a software feature, it is a solution to a legal problem when you want to create iTunes accounts for users under 13 years of age.

(There might be also software involved if fermat-au is correct in guessing that content could be used by a pupil's Apple ID but is still owned by the school - but we don't know that for sure and it's also not the core point of this article.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.