Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I've got a 2010 Ford Focus SES and a couple times lately (very random, very rare) while braking, I hear a noise coming from the front end that is sort of deep and like 'wuh wuh wuh wuh.' I thought of metal on metal, but nothing feels like it's grinding.

The car itself is a Certified Pre-Owned, now up to 47,800 miles.

Tires are fairly new with just over 5,000 miles on them.

I just had the car checked out last week too and nothing negative was marked with the brakes. The fronts were listed at "70% 7MM" on my last check up.

Is it something to be concerned about? Is it a brake issue or possibly something else?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Brake pads have these metal things that poke out once they start to become thin, so they make a noise alerting you to change them out. maybe its that

2010-11-18_145828_brake_pad.jpg

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I agree with John. Ive had this issue before with my car, and the bearing was the issue. The sound was present mostly when breaking, but over time I did begin to hear it accelerating or maintaining speed. Try to listen when you break if the wuh wuh sounds decrease in frequency while your rpm drops and speed up to see if you can hear the sound at all/if it is increasing in frequency.

I dont think it's the breaks, they would make a long screech type noise instead of a repetitive wuh wuh sound.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Check the brake pads and see if they are worn out. If they are still thick then it is likely the wheel bearing. You can try jacking it up and push and pull on the top of the wheel to see if it flexes in and out which is a sign of a bad bearing.

Anyways pick up the Haynes manual for your car a your local auto parts store and replace away. From experience don't buy the cheapest replacement part they have get whatever the best is they carry. For the most part higher priced and quality parts last much longer. You don't necessarily need the most expensive at least go middle of the road.

malman89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Michigan
sounds like a wheel bearing, better get that checked asap. and get an oil change, your overdue.:D Good luck.

Oil change was part of the maintenance, so I'm all set there.

I agree with John. Ive had this issue before with my car, and the bearing was the issue. The sound was present mostly when breaking, but over time I did begin to hear it accelerating or maintaining speed. Try to listen when you break if the wuh wuh sounds decrease in frequency while your rpm drops and speed up to see if you can hear the sound at all/if it is increasing in frequency.

I dont think it's the breaks, they would make a long screech type noise instead of a repetitive wuh wuh sound.

The noise does decrease in frequency with speed. I've never heard it while accelerating. I've heard it probably 2 times total in a little over a week. I've got some free time this weekend, so I'll take a look.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
sounds like a wheel bearing, better get that checked asap. and get an oil change, your overdue.:D Good luck.

Seems like if it were the bearing, he'd hear it all the time. I'm guessing the rotor is warped - the sound may be from the flat surface of the caliper pushing against the wavy surface of the disc. Just a shade-tree guess -- get it checked by an ASE certified mechanic you trust!

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
it's not the shift knob.

Seems like if it were the bearing, he'd hear it all the time. I'm guessing the rotor is warped

i'll add my vote to this column. bearings in my experience have always presented as a constant or repeatable pattern noise.

where i differ from the previous post is that warped rotor also usually (usually) present as a constant or repeatable pattern noise, but can on the odd situation change due to heat/moisture/etc. sometimes noises are tricky beasts.

other thing to check IMO would be a CV joint. there are four, two inner, two outer, look at all the boots to make sure they are intact, jack up the wheel and turn by hand while feeling the joint for movement, repeat on the other side.

if nothing else works, just give it a Mexico City brake job - Install a bigger horn! best of luck.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just a really simple suggestion...

Whatever it is, it's probably not a good thing and I, for one, would take it to a qualified mechanic for a look see.

If it's brakes...I REALLY would take it in...but that's just me as I have this serious concern about being able to stop my car.

Call me crazy...:p

;) :D

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Let me clarify something for you guys.

brake |brāk|
noun
a device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels: he slammed on his brakes | [ as modifier ] : a brake pedal.
• a thing that slows or hinders a process: managers have a duty to put the brakes on growth when it is unsustainable.

Is NOT the same as

break |brāk|
verb ( past broke |brōk|; past participle broken |ˈbrōkən| )
separate or cause to separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain: [ no obj. ] : the rope broke with a loud snap | the slate fell from my hand and broke in two on the hard floor | [ with obj. ] : windows in the street were broken by the blast | break the chocolate into pieces.
• sustain an injury involving the fracture of a bone or bones in a part of the body: [ with obj. ] : she had broken her leg in two places | [ no obj. ] : what if his leg had broken?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
i'll add my vote to this column. bearings in my experience have always presented as a constant or repeatable pattern noise.

where i differ from the previous post is that warped rotor also usually (usually) present as a constant or repeatable pattern noise, but can on the odd situation change due to heat/moisture/etc. sometimes noises are tricky beasts.

other thing to check IMO would be a CV joint. there are four, two inner, two outer, look at all the boots to make sure they are intact, jack up the wheel and turn by hand while feeling the joint for movement, repeat on the other side.

if nothing else works, just give it a Mexico City brake job - Install a bigger horn! best of luck.

Another possibility is an issue with the ABS. Again, get it checked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.