Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idea3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Hi
I need to transfer files from my old mac to the new one. I used to use migration assistant for that purpose before. The downsite of it is that you have pretty much your old computer in the box of a new one - in terms of the settings, layouts etc. Same everything. I want to transfer only a few applications plus the settings of programs like Safari, pictures from iPhoto, things like that. Is there a better way, than using migration assistant? Can I select specifically these options only in migration assistant?

Thanx for any help

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I know you can select/deselect certain items from being copied over in Migration Assistant, but I don't know if you choose specifically which settings to copy over.

Attachments

• S0202_Migration.png
    S0202_Migration.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,737

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I believe you could pick applications without transferring any users or settings. I just did this the other day for my daughter and all her apps, settings, etc came over. I've never bothered to try this without transferring everything. Why don't you want everything to come over? If you really are getting a new Mac, wouldn't you want to simply "pick up where you left off" rather than having to spend time tweaking to get things the way you like them?

idea3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
I did that before, the problem is my current mac is so messy in some ways. I don't want to transfer all that mess to my new mac. I will see what I can click off in the options of migration asistant.

Thanx for your replies...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I did that before, the problem is my current mac is so messy in some ways. I don't want to transfer all that mess to my new mac. I will see what I can click off in the options of migration asistant.

Thanx for your replies...

Why not clean up the mess on your old Mac before using migration assistant? You can still choose to only bring over certain stuff, but you have had a clear out before hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.