Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I have an AT&T iphone 5 with unlimited data. (they start throttling at some point, but i've never used that much). i am in the market for an ipad mini. i was just gonna go with the wifi because i have no desire to pay for another cellular plan. but i was wondering about getting an iphone mini with LTE, just in case i needed to get online where there was no wifi. i know there's a way to do it with the WAP settings on the iphone 4 to ipad 3g. has anyone been able to do it with iphone 5 -> mini?

i'd really just like it for convenience and i can stomach paying an extra $129 for the convenience of being able to get online if i need it, but i can't stomach paying $30/month when i won't use it much.

i understand this may have been answered in another thread before, if someone can point me in the right direction that would also be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

DyslexicKobe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
[iPad Mini] iphone 5 sim (unlimited) on ipad mini lte

So basically you want to use the data plan you have with your iPhone with your iPad mini? If that is what your stating then all you have to do is

1. Make sure you have an ATT iPad Mini
2. Take simcard out of iPhone 5
3. Pop sim card into the iPad mini.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
So basically you want to use the data plan you have with your iPhone with your iPad mini? If that is what your stating then all you have to do is

1. Make sure you have an ATT iPad Mini
2. Take simcard out of iPhone 5
3. Pop sim card into the iPad mini.

I believe you need to jailbreak it and install an APN editor. I remember that the iPad needed that when I tried to put my iPhone 4 sim in it.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I do this all the time with my VERIZON LTE ipad 4. I just take out the sim in my Verizon iphone 5, use one of the nano to micro sim size sim adapters and it works 100% without any necessary settings changes. Even the hotspot works 100%!

Best part is you get Verizon's awesome LTE network and it's just fantastic experience using LTE on an ipad.

I don't use my iphone 5 for anything but calls, text, and some few image browsing. The screen is too small, it's pathetic vs an iPad mini/iPad 10"

And web browsing on LTE is as fast as on home wifi and sometimes even faster!

NOTE: Calls dont' come in at all when using the iPhone 5 sim in an iPad LTE device. You do still receive text messages (iMessages only). You can facetime the same way. But because I have my email and phone number linked to all my iOS devices, it just rings into my ipad LTE. The only issue is you need to restart the ipad for the LTE to activate. If you just stick in the iphone 5 sim into the ipad LTE even switching cellular connection on and off, it won't work. You must restart the iPad. When you are done, you can stick the nano sim back into the iphone 5 and it will work WITHOUT restart. I don't know why my ipad LTE needs to be rebooted to activate the LTE.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Does this work with ATT iPhone sim and ipad mini + cellular?

Anything else required to make swapping a sim from one device to another?

Is the APN change required?

Do the ATT units require a hard reset when swapping sims?

TIA

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Does this work with ATT iPhone sim and ipad mini + cellular?

Anything else required to make swapping a sim from one device to another?

Is the APN change required?

Do the ATT units require a hard reset when swapping sims?

TIA

You can try it.. But there is not guarantee that they will automatically change your data plan from unlimited to the tethering plan if you are swapping sims. Att is different than Verizon when it comes to swapping sims.

fsamara

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
AT&T iPhone 5 SIM in iPad Mini

You can try it.. But there is not guarantee that they will automatically change your data plan from unlimited to the tethering plan if you are swapping sims. Att is different than Verizon when it comes to swapping sims.

Were you able to get your AT&T iPhone 5 SIM in AT&T iPad mini? I have been trying to do so for the longest time. I know I can change the APN, and it works, but I am only getting 3G, not LTE.

Cheers

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Were you able to get your AT&T iPhone 5 SIM in AT&T iPad mini? I have been trying to do so for the longest time. I know I can change the APN, and it works, but I am only getting 3G, not LTE.

Cheers

I don't have an AT&T ipad mini, but from what you are saying I think the problem is with your data plan. Att has a weird system for each phone assigned data packages. It's nothing like it is on Verizon where you can do a swap. I believe to get LTE on your mini, you might have to call up ATT and ask for them to change the data plan from iPhone data to a regular LTE data package.

I had to do this recently with my iphone 5 verizon which I am using on the ATT network. I purchased the new HTC m7 and when I swapped sims I could only access 4g. It wasn't until I called ATT and had them change the plan over to a regular LTE data package from the iphone data package that I was able to use LTE.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Att wont allow it. iPhone plans are completely separate from iPad plans. Your only options are:

1. Jailbreak and tether
2. Change to the 5gb plan and tether
3. Pay for the ipad plan seperately.

I tether from my gs3 to ipad using bluetooth and it works great. The ipad can initiate the connection and bluetooth uses very little battery.

Snatch77

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
I can confirm that AT&T iPhone 5 SIM's will work in the AT&T version of the iPad Mini. You will need to adjust the APN to 'phone', but it works.

One issue I have is that I often get "4G" on my connection where my iPhone will get "LTE". I found that if I toggle the data connection on and off the iPad Mini will eventually also show "LTE". Sometimes it takes one try, but other times it takes many many tries.

When I first got the iPad Mini, I took it into the AT&T store explaining the situation and asked them why it wouldn't connect at LTE. They said the iPad Mini "won't" or "can't" work at all with an iPhone data plan, but I proved it would. Then they claimed it "shouldn't" work at all and to be happy with what I get ("4G"). I then thought it was hopeless and didn't do any further research on the subject. However, imagine my excitement when I woke up the iPad Mini and it actually showed "LTE". I eventually let the iPad battery run out and when it woke up it said "4G" again... I considered that since it did work once, it should work again. Therefore, I kept trying to toggle the airplane mode and it eventually connected "LTE" again.

I will say that with "LTE" the battery life is significantly better actually. I noticed that when it displayed "4G" it would occasionally show "No Carrier" and then connect again after a few seconds. I also noticed if I streamed a video from Netflix that at the end of the stream, the signal bars dropped out to zero and the "4G" disappeared. That same behaviour occurs each time I stream a show on Netflix longer than 15 minutes or so.

So keep trying to toggle your airplane mode and eventually you should see LTE too. :)

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has found a method to reduce the amount of times I have to toggle if it falls back to 4G. I haven't found any process that seems to speed it up besides airplane mode.

Cheers!

Last edited:

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I kind of have the same situation but mine is with the iPhone 5 and iPad 4. A couple of people at AT&T said that I can swap plans. Take my Unlimited data plan from my iPhone and move it to the iPad then move the iPad's 3GB plan to my phone. A rep at AT&T (611) actually told me about that because I didn't know it could be done. I stopped into a local AT&T store a few weeks ago and the two people that I talked to there said they could do it. They all said that the "phone number" for the iPad would become my iPhone's number and the iPhone number would go over to the iPad. Today I called AT&T to see what the procedure is (talked to their tech dept) and was told that it can't be done.

So... I'm thinking a few things -

1 - My new month starts on Thursday so I'm thinking about going to the AT&T store that I stopped in at to see if I can make this happen.

2 - If that doesn't work, go home and try swapping sims.

This thread is the most info that I've found about doing this.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
If my job allowed iPads on site I would do this in a heartbeat. But until they do I will just keep my unlimited data on my iPhone and tether (iPhone 5 is jail broken) when needed. For what it's worth the SIM swap did not work for me.

patti1214

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
AT&T IPhone 5 Unlimited Data Sim WILL work in iPad mini

I can confirm that AT&T iPhone 5 SIM's will work in the AT&T version of the iPad Mini. You will need to adjust the APN to 'phone', but it works.

One issue I have is that I often get "4G" on my connection where my iPhone will get "LTE". I found that if I toggle the data connection on and off the iPad Mini will eventually also show "LTE". Sometimes it takes one try, but other times it takes many many tries.

When I first got the iPad Mini, I took it into the AT&T store explaining the situation and asked them why it wouldn't connect at LTE. They said the iPad Mini "won't" or "can't" work at all with an iPhone data plan, but I proved it would. Then they claimed it "shouldn't" work at all and to be happy with what I get ("4G"). I then thought it was hopeless and didn't do any further research on the subject. However, imagine my excitement when I woke up the iPad Mini and it actually showed "LTE". I eventually let the iPad battery run out and when it woke up it said "4G" again... I considered that since it did work once, it should work again. Therefore, I kept trying to toggle the airplane mode and it eventually connected "LTE" again.

I will say that with "LTE" the battery life is significantly better actually. I noticed that when it displayed "4G" it would occasionally show "No Carrier" and then connect again after a few seconds. I also noticed if I streamed a video from Netflix that at the end of the stream, the signal bars dropped out to zero and the "4G" disappeared. That same behaviour occurs each time I stream a show on Netflix longer than 15 minutes or so.

So keep trying to toggle your airplane mode and eventually you should see LTE too. :)

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has found a method to reduce the amount of times I have to toggle if it falls back to 4G. I haven't found any process that seems to speed it up besides airplane mode.

Cheers!

Works great for me - same issues as you though - no LTE at times and no service pops up at times but then quickly reconnects - all in all it's worth it. Took me under 5 minutes to do. Here's how I did it:

1. I went to http://www.unlockit.co.nz on my iPad

2. I selected "Create APN" at the bottom of the screen

3. I selected AT&T (HSPA+) which created the APN

4. I then hit install

5. I took the phone sim out and put it in the iPad - takes a minute or two for it to read but eventually it connects.

I'm now trying to figure out how to change to the AT&T LTE APN setting - unfortunately I installed the HSPA+ before realizing there is an LTE setting that I probably should have used in the first place.

When I try to install the LTE version now, it says payload already present so I need to figure out how to delete the old one and install the LTE one - hoping that will fix the LTE in and out issues.

Snatch77

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Works great for me - same issues as you though - no LTE at times and no service pops up at times but then quickly reconnects - all in all it's worth it. Took me under 5 minutes to do. Here's how I did it:

4. I then hit install

5. I took the phone sim out and put it in the iPad - takes a minute or two for it to read but eventually it connects.

I'm now trying to figure out how to change to the AT&T LTE APN setting - unfortunately I installed the HSPA+ before realizing there is an LTE setting that I probably should have used in the first place.

When I try to install the LTE version now, it says payload already present so I need to figure out how to delete the old one and install the LTE one - hoping that will fix the LTE in and out issues.

The AT&T LTE version of the Unlockit profiles uses the APN named "PTA". I tried using that APN and it never connected. Essentially, iPhone data plans are not authorized on that APN. I left that in my iPad all night and it never changed. I noticed that the signal strength meter, Carrier, 4G/LTE indicator completely disappeared immediately and was replaced with just iPad.

I believe that the pta is specifically for Android tablets or maybe it is for non-Apple devices? I'm not sure, but I know our iPhone data plans aren't authorized.

If you find anything that speeds up the LTE process of cycling airplane mode toggle until it switches, please let us know! I still have to cycle airplane mode after rebooting or letting the battery die. Once you finally get it into LTE it will stay there and it doesn't drop out to no service randomly.

Good luck!

Ray Anthony

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013

4. I then hit install

Go to general/profile (2nd from bottom) and click "remove" to eliminate profile then You can install another

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
But can AT&T detect the tethering or not. I have a friend who's unlimited data plan was removed and tethering added automatically.

I can't lose my unlimited data.

philster9

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I do this all the time with my VERIZON LTE ipad 4. I just take out the sim in my Verizon iphone 5, use one of the nano to micro sim size sim adapters and it works 100% without any necessary settings changes. Even the hotspot works 100%!

Best part is you get Verizon's awesome LTE network and it's just fantastic experience using LTE on an ipad.

I don't use my iphone 5 for anything but calls, text, and some few image browsing. The screen is too small, it's pathetic vs an iPad mini/iPad 10"

NOTE: Calls dont' come in at all when using the iPhone 5 sim in an iPad LTE device. You do still receive text messages (iMessages only). You can facetime the same way. But because I have my email and phone number linked to all my iOS devices, it just rings into my ipad LTE. The only issue is you need to restart the ipad for the LTE to activate. If you just stick in the iphone 5 sim into the ipad LTE even switching cellular connection on and off, it won't work. You must restart the iPad. When you are done, you can stick the nano sim back into the iphone 5 and it will work WITHOUT restart. I don't know why my ipad LTE needs to be rebooted to activate the LTE.

Hi, I was hoping you could elaborate on this for me. I am a VZW 5S owner who continues to have the unlimited data plan package. I do not subscribe to any tethering/hotspot. Will what you do work for me if I was to purchase an LTE iPad? Basically I am concerned that if I pop my SIM into another device it will default my data plan to something else. Do you have unlimited? Also more of a concern is does VZW allow this? I remember there being a court battle between VZW and someone/the public on whether it is legal/allowed/not punishable via VZW for someone to swap their SIM in and out of different devices to use their data. Just looking for some clarification if possible. This would sway me to a LTE model if so. Cheers.

CrazyNurse

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Hi, I was hoping you could elaborate on this for me. I am a VZW 5S owner who continues to have the unlimited data plan package. I do not subscribe to any tethering/hotspot. Will what you do work for me if I was to purchase an LTE iPad? Basically I am concerned that if I pop my SIM into another device it will default my data plan to something else. Do you have unlimited? Also more of a concern is does VZW allow this? I remember there being a court battle between VZW and someone/the public on whether it is legal/allowed/not punishable via VZW for someone to swap their SIM in and out of different devices to use their data. Just looking for some clarification if possible. This would sway me to a LTE model if so. Cheers.

There was an FCC ruling or something that basically said VZW could not differentiate between data use among different devices. So, if you have a data plan on your smartphone and you used that data plan on a tablet there should be no price difference. VZW has done things to skirt around this 'though. Greedy bastards.

valhopkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
oc
Another question on swapping the iPhone 5 sim with an iPad

I haven't owned an iPad since my 1st gen was stolen a few years ago, and am shopping for one now.

I have an iPhone 5, At&T, with a grandfathered truly unlimited data plan. No throttling or any other BS. I've been looking at getting an iPad 3, because I want the larger screen than on the mini, and because they're cheaper used than a 4th gen. I've been contemplating getting an unlocked iPad, but am not sure if there's any difference in a "factory" unlocked vs buying one that's unlocked after purchase. Someone told me that there's was originally Verizon 4g, and since it was unlocked BY Verizon, I wouldn't be able to use a verizon sim in it, only ATT or T-Mobile. Does that sound right?

Ultimately, here's what I would like to be able to do: when I'm camping in a location where I have AT&T service, I want to swap out my iphone's sim and use it in the iPad (obviously with an adapter). If there's no ATT service, like at my mom's in the desert, I would like to be able to use a prepaid Tmobile sim.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I could do this? I saw a video from another mac forum, where a verizon iPad has a sim slot that is capable of using an att sim. They didn't mention what generation ipad it was though.

Any help would be appreciated!

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I haven't owned an iPad since my 1st gen was stolen a few years ago, and am shopping for one now.

I have an iPhone 5, At&T, with a grandfathered truly unlimited data plan. No throttling or any other BS. I've been looking at getting an iPad 3, because I want the larger screen than on the mini, and because they're cheaper used than a 4th gen. I've been contemplating getting an unlocked iPad, but am not sure if there's any difference in a "factory" unlocked vs buying one that's unlocked after purchase. Someone told me that there's was originally Verizon 4g, and since it was unlocked BY Verizon, I wouldn't be able to use a verizon sim in it, only ATT or T-Mobile. Does that sound right?

Ultimately, here's what I would like to be able to do: when I'm camping in a location where I have AT&T service, I want to swap out my iphone's sim and use it in the iPad (obviously with an adapter). If there's no ATT service, like at my mom's in the desert, I would like to be able to use a prepaid Tmobile sim.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I could do this? I saw a video from another mac forum, where a verizon iPad has a sim slot that is capable of using an att sim. They didn't mention what generation ipad it was though.

Any help would be appreciated!

1. you should look at a 4th gen. Since the Air was announced, the difference in price between 3rd/4th is very small. The faster CPU is a nice benefit. Look at the refurbished models online.

2. What you describe is technically possible, but AT&T won't allow you to put a phone SIM in the iPad. They will warn you and then shut off your data.

3. The verizon iPad will work with any SIM (unlocked) but won't get LTE on AT&T. Personally I think VZW is the best choice if you have AT&T phone, then you have the options of all 3 carriers.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Anyone able to get their ATT iPad Mini working with a t-mo sim in it? I've searched all the settings and can't for the life of me. :-(

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Anyone able to get their ATT iPad Mini working with a t-mo sim in it? I've searched all the settings and can't for the life of me. :-(

Lets guess you're using a sim that's on a phone plan on a tablet (which is not allowed by T-Mobile). And it's recognizing the tablet and redirecting you.

mlpsponzischeme

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009

Is your iPad jailbroken? Or do you just slide your sim in your iPad and it works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.