Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
We recently purchased apples newest Airport Extreme time capsule, thus making our older (3rd gen?) airport extreme not needed.
However, our house could stand to use some wifi extending, as the internet barely reaches all corners of the house, as well as disconnects many times when we run the microwave :)D). So I was going to put the older Airport Extreme nearer our wifi connecting television.

There is an ethernet port quite close (10ft max) to the television, so it would be a perfect place to put the router. But can I extend the network using a separate ethernet port? I would rather have it connect via ethernet instead of rebroadcasting wifi...
Also, is there any chance this will actually make our system slower? I read on apples support guide that having a multi signal system might actually be worse for internet throughput.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm also probably going to set up an old HDD with the older Airport to be a media server to the TV.
A907

Last edited:

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
That should work just fine. I always recommend extending WiFi using hardwired connections. You'll need to run setup again on your old Airport Extreme. Select "extend my existing network with ethernet" (I'm paraphrasing, don't know the exact wording.)

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
That should work just fine. I always recommend extending WiFi using hardwired connections. You'll need to run setup again on your old Airport Extreme. Select "extend my existing network with ethernet" (I'm paraphrasing, don't know the exact wording.)

Thing is, I don't want to connect the routers physically via ethernet, there is ethernet running through our house that connects to a switch... is there any way to use the separate ethernet connected to the switch to expand? Its routed like this now, with a split at the switch...

ISP > Switch > CAT5 Cable > Time capsule
___________ > CAT5 Cable > Old Airport Extreme

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thing is, I don't want to connect the routers physically via ethernet, there is ethernet running through our house that connects to a switch... is there any way to use the separate ethernet connected to the switch to expand? Its routed like this now, with a split at the switch...

ISP > Switch > CAT5 Cable > Time capsule
___________ > CAT5 Cable > Old Airport Extreme

The only way that would work is if your ISP modem is also acting as your router. If your TC is your router, then anything connected to the WAN port (the input) is "outside" your network, and everything must be plugged into the TC's LAN ports or connected to the TC wireless.

So if your ISP provides the routing and you set the TC up in Bridge mode, then this will work fine.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
The only way that would work is if your ISP modem is also acting as your router. If your TC is your router, then anything connected to the WAN port (the input) is "outside" your network, and everything must be plugged into the TC's LAN ports or connected to the TC wireless.

So if your ISP provides the routing and you set the TC up in Bridge mode, then this will work fine.

I think I'm good. We have a router upstairs that goes to the switch. Any tips on setting up the TC in bridge mode? I'm better at fixing up my computer issues... doing network stuff is new to me :D kinda fun actually!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

I don't want to connect the Airports physically via ethernet via the ports on the airports themselves.
Rather, I want to use the ethernet ports in our house to connect both airport to the same physical network, and have them both create the same wifi network. Hope that helps clarify...

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I think I get what you're saying. The two Airports don't need to connect directly to each other, as long as they're on the same wired network it doesn't matter. To clarify - your house doesn't have Ethernet ports. There may be ports in the wall, but they should connect to a switch, hub or router somewhere.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I think I get what you're saying. The two Airports don't need to connect directly to each other, as long as they're on the same wired network it doesn't matter. To clarify - your house doesn't have Ethernet ports. There may be ports in the wall, but they should connect to a switch, hub or router somewhere.

Exactly what I mean. Didn't really know how to describe the house network though :D thanks for that.
So anything I need to do in terms of setting up in bridge mode? Or do I just have to plug both in and set to the same network settings? Or will it ask me to extend?

I tried just plugging both in with the same wifi network names and it crashed our network, but maybe it was configuring itself... :(

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm far from an expert, but I've done a lot of research on this subject.

I think for best results, you really ought to reconsider connecting the TC and the AEBS with ethernet. This will allow you to seamlessly jump from the TC to the AEBS (and vice versa) as you move around the house.

Apple calls this set-up a Roaming network. Make one of the routers the main router and the other one would extend the network via Roaming.

out of curiosity, who's your ISP? is it Verizon FiOS?

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I'm not 100% sure they call it a roaming network. But I'm pretty sure when you configure the second device you select the option to extend your wireless network using ethernet. It will read the config from your primary router IIRC, and set the SSID and security.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
Extent Airport Extreme (via Ethernet) using a second Airport Extreme

My house has an Airport Extreme (5th Gen) that serves WiFi to my house using WPA2 for security and I do not broadcast the SSID but Guest Network is enabled also using WPA2. I also have wired ethernet running from this Airport Extreme to two other locations, including my semi-attached office. However, in my office, the WiFi signal was spotty and I needed to "extend" my Wi-Fi network without creating a new one.

After searching a bit, I was able to buy another Airport Extreme (5th Gen) off CraigsList for cheaper than I could find a newer model Express there.

I reset this second Extreme and then connected it to the ethernet in my office. As soon as it booted up, my Mac popped up the Airport Utility and asked me if I wanted to use the new Airport Extreme to "extend" the existing network. I clicked yes and everything works seamlessly! It carries over my security settings, network name, etc., plus the LAN (ethernet ports) on the second Airport Extreme work! This was important as the office also serves as a man-cave with an AppleTV, PS4 & XBox that I prefer to have wired. There was nothing to configure and my devices work seamlessly without me having to switch networks or anything. They automatically pick up the strongest signal in a location. It looks like it also carries over the Guest Network since I can see it on this units settings as well.

FWIW, I checked my Airport Utility/Network settings and the second Extreme's Router Mode was automatically put in "Off/Bridge Mode."

Go :apple:!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.