Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porkaysi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
i have a new 2013 macbook air and a new airport time capsule, i got it for of course the AC speed and i need a mass storage hard drive. my macbook air tops out at 30 mbps give or take on a speediest.net test no matter what i do. Both my HTC one and Nexus 7 get in the low 40 Mbps range when i perform the same exact test from the same server. i am aware of a file transfer issue with Mac OS and AC wifi but to my knowledge there was not an issue with internet speeds??

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
What is your connection speed to the access point when you are noticing the slowdown? Click on the wifi icon in the upper right while holding down the "OPTION" key. Report back on what you see in the additional details for your AP.

I am using a network with (2) x the new Airport Extremes connected (extended) via ethernet with one acting as the router. So I get 867mpbs connections when very close to each AP, going down to as low as 351mbps when I move to other rooms.

Comcast speediest results typically in the 50-55mbps / 10mbps uL range.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
i have a new 2013 macbook air and a new airport time capsule, i got it for of course the AC speed and i need a mass storage hard drive. my macbook air tops out at 30 mbps give or take on a speediest.net test no matter what i do. Both my HTC one and Nexus 7 get in the low 40 Mbps range when i perform the same exact test from the same server. i am aware of a file transfer issue with Mac OS and AC wifi but to my knowledge there was not an issue with internet speeds??

You need to test the speed of the connection to the Airport, not your connection to your ISP, which is irrelevant.

Porkaysi

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
What is your connection speed to the access point when you are noticing the slowdown? Click on the wifi icon in the upper right while holding down the "OPTION" key. Report back on what you see in the additional details for your AP.

I am using a network with (2) x the new Airport Extremes connected (extended) via ethernet with one acting as the router. So I get 867mpbs connections when very close to each AP, going down to as low as 351mbps when I move to other rooms.

Comcast speediest results typically in the 50-55mbps / 10mbps uL range.

my connection is AC on 5gig band, transmit rate is 234. but i can be right next to the airport, its in my room and speed do not change maybe by a mb or so.

You need to test the speed of the connection to the Airport, not your connection to your ISP, which is irrelevant.

when i ran my connection test from the modem it self i got a high 30's during same test. that was about 10 days ago so i will re run when i have time to double check and confirm.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
when i ran my connection test from the modem it self i got a high 30's during same test. that was about 10 days ago so i will re run when i have time to double check and confirm.

When you display your WiFi card, probably en0, in the Network Utility, what is the Link Speed?

On my 2012 MBA it is 300 Mbit/s.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
When you display your WiFi card, probably en0, in the Network Utility, what is the Link Speed?

Same thing as holding "Option" while clicking on the wifi icon. 2012 will show a max of 300 since it's MIMO 2x2 (two antenna) in 5gzh. MBA 2013 is also 2x2, but has the 802.11ac standard. Op mentioned 234. I get 867 when right by my AE.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
234 even when you are close? dang, you must have a problem with either the TC or the laptop.

When I am in the same room as mine, i get 867.

And I get nearly 100% of my 100/5 Cable Speed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

My 2013 MBA with the AC TC shows 1Gbit/s there.

234 even when you are close? dang, you must have a problem with either the TC or the laptop.

When I am in the same room as mine, i get 867.

And I get nearly 100% of my 100/5 Cable Speed.

Agreed. With my TC in the next room about ten feet away with a wall between me, I see 867 transmit rate. Something is wrong with OP's setup.

If you are referring to this issue reported by Ars and others, it is a problem with the OS X network stack and it would impact Internet speeds also if you were on a fast enough connection, but you are nowhere close to the limits mentioned in the article, so that is not your problem.

The Ars article reports maxing at about 21MB/s (or 168Mb/s), so you are far from that limit at your 40Mbps. If I transfer a large DMG over AC to my TC drive I see the same ~21MB/s reported by Ars.

What do you get if you copy a large file direct to the TC drive?

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One

You.... have a much better internet connection than do I. Living with a 5mbps downlink is hard, man!

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Same thing as holding "Option" while clicking on the wifi icon. 2012 will show a max of 300 since it's MIMO 2x2 (two antenna) in 5gzh. MBA 2013 is also 2x2, but has the 802.11ac standard. Op mentioned 234. I get 867 when right by my AE.

I get 867 as well about 5 to 7 feet from the AEBS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.