Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
My wife and I will be traveling to Canada for a week and would really like the ability to make calls locally and use data to help find places and use iMessage to people back home on my unlocked iPhone 5.

I have a Nano-Rogers LTE Sim right now. I was thinking about activating it under the Talk, Text and Internet 30 for BlackBerry® smartphones for $30.75.
I noticed someone mentioned that in another thread. Is that even possible to use on an iPhone as it states BlackBerry only?

I could just use WiFi and Talkatone to make calls back home over that plan via Wireless worst case scenario.

Any other suggestions? AT&T's plans are way over priced for international/canada use.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
My wife and I will be traveling to Canada for a week and would really like the ability to make calls locally and use data to help find places and use iMessage to people back home on my unlocked iPhone 5.

I have a Nano-Rogers LTE Sim right now. I was thinking about activating it under the Talk, Text and Internet 30 for BlackBerry® smartphones for $30.75.
I noticed someone mentioned that in another thread. Is that even possible to use on an iPhone as it states BlackBerry only?

I could just use WiFi and Talkatone to make calls back home over that plan via Wireless worst case scenario.

Any other suggestions? AT&T's plans are way over priced for international/canada use.

Rogers usually treats Blackberry data differently, so it likely will only work for what it says - social and instant messaging from a Blackberry.

Consider Wind Mobile if you're going to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, or Ottawa. If your iPhone is T-mobile compatible it should work on Wind.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
I don't have the official tmobile compatible iPhone unfortunately. I have the AT&T version. Am I stuck to only Rogers as an option?

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Bell or telus too. There's similicious, but not much said about them. I'm in canada right now and I'll be getting a rogers sim with the $65 plan

Brad02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Bell or telus too. There's similicious, but not much said about them. I'm in canada right now and I'll be getting a rogers sim with the $65 plan

Let me know how that works out please. I wouldn't be against paying for the $65 plan for peace of mind.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
How much data do you plan to use? How much calling?

I paid for the 120MB international data plan from AT&T last time I was in Canada and it worked out great. You can use Google Voice for free texting once you have data.

Granted, I'm a VERY light voice user, so this worked out for me. If you talk on the phone a lot you'll probably do better with a Canadian SIM.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Just bought a rogers sim card, since I was kinda late I bought a different plan, a pay as you go with a 500mb data addon and a $40 top up. $50 final with sim card and the top up. Getting fairly fast speeds, but it keeps switching from H to 3G. I'm using a low end android phone, so this is good.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Let me know how that works out please. I wouldn't be against paying for the $65 plan for peace of mind.

go with Fido, Koodo or Virgin Mobile (usually give u free sim or $5) they use Rogers/Bell/Telus towers and prices are great.

like this $39-$50 plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group2

I had the $39 plan last time I was home and couldn't be happier...450 mins is lots, 600MB = more than enough for 1 week of google maping, emails, etc (just dont watch any youtube videos) or $60 2GB plan

Brad02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
go with Fido, Koodo or Virgin Mobile (usually give u free sim or $5) they use Rogers/Bell/Telus towers and prices are great.

like this $39-$50 plan:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group2

I had the $39 plan last time I was home and couldn't be happier...450 mins is lots, 600MB = more than enough for 1 week of google maping, emails, etc (just dont watch any youtube videos) or $60 2GB plan

That Fido plan looks really good. I assume I need to find a local Fido retailer once I get to Canada to pickup the Nano-sim?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
That Fido plan looks really good. I assume I need to find a local Fido retailer once I get to Canada to pickup the Nano-sim?

Actually those plans aren't prepaid thats one thing I forgot to mention. Canada doesn't really have many good "Prepaid" plans but you can try still and depending on what border you cross at, as many are in towns, you may be able to just find a cellphone store right there.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
How much data do you plan to use? How much calling?

I paid for the 120MB international data plan from AT&T last time I was in Canada and it worked out great. You can use Google Voice for free texting once you have data.

Granted, I'm a VERY light voice user, so this worked out for me. If you talk on the phone a lot you'll probably do better with a Canadian SIM.

Same here. I can easily go a week without making a phone call. I get the data roaming from AT&T because I can't stay away from email (T-Mobile doesn't really offer a plan for roaming that is reasonable). I end up paying for texts (but not a heavy texter either). For voice, I usually let it go to voicemail then check voicemail (which uses data) and email the person that I'll be in touch later. I am thinking of getting a Skype worldwide plan so I can then make calls from wifi.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Same here. I can easily go a week without making a phone call. I get the data roaming from AT&T because I can't stay away from email (T-Mobile doesn't really offer a plan for roaming that is reasonable). I end up paying for texts (but not a heavy texter either). For voice, I usually let it go to voicemail then check voicemail (which uses data) and email the person that I'll be in touch later. I am thinking of getting a Skype worldwide plan so I can then make calls from wifi.

Don't waste yur money...

download the Vonage Mobile App, its amazing, not only does it display your mobile number when calling out but people dont even need to know your not calling directly!

It costs $0 and gives Unlimited Free calling to any USA+Canada phone numbers + toll free numbers!

Go travel anywhere as long as you have Data+VonageMobile App+Whatsapp(famous of all messaging apps, just about all people i know use it) = Travel without telling the whole world that you have different numbers they need to reach you at.

I use it all the time, over WiFi/3G/4G/LTE its great (I've even used it on 2G few times for calling only tho - definitely no video chats) - Also Vonage's Calling rates for international destinations are very reasonable (If you seen lately Rebtel+Skype n all raised their calling rates...and if you have Vonage Home phone with World Plan, then you can use that via Vonage Extensions app on your smartphone as 1 spot is included in your plan).

I've got a skype calling plan as well but I prefer to use Vonage Mobile app over Skype's sluggish call quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.