Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I got the Shure SE215 earbuds and I'm suprised earbuds can sound this good. (I once tried the Klipsch S4i but they sounded very bad imo in comparison to my other headphones ).

I have studio headphones but they aren't a mobile solution. How does the Shure SE535 sound in comparison to the SE215 and the B&W p5?

While the B&W p5 aren't earbuds, they are still very mobile and the sound is awesome (while my studio headphones have more detail, soundstage and better highs, it's not as enjoyable for long listening sessions as the darker character of the B&W P5 gives a smooth sound that doesn't hurt the ears over long periods).

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
I got the Shure SE215 earbuds and I'm suprised earbuds can sound this good. (I once tried the Klipsch S4i but they sounded very bad imo in comparison to my other headphones ).

I have studio headphones but they aren't a mobile solution. How does the Shure SE535 sound in comparison to the SE215 and the B&W p5?

While the B&W p5 aren't earbuds, they are still very mobile and the sound is awesome (while my studio headphones have more detail, soundstage and better highs, it's not as enjoyable for long listening sessions as the darker character of the B&W P5 gives a smooth sound that doesn't hurt the ears over long periods).

Haven't tried the B&W, but I do use Shure SE535s everyday. I used to own a pair of SE215, and they're not even worth comparing. The SE535s are much more detailed. With that said, I've gotten used to using them everyday...so they don't have the wow factor anymore...but that can be said for any product. I use them for practicing piano at night, as well as earphones for commutes.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have the Shure SE535's - although I have heard - and read - some very good reports about them, and the quality of the sound that they deliver.

However, I do own a pair of the B&W P5s and can say that they are easily the best, most comfortable, (most stylish, if that is a consideration), headphones I have ever owned (and I am passionate about my music).

The P5s are exceedingly portable, offer a superb audio experience, and the comfort (from that lovely soft leather) has to be felt to be experienced, which is especially useful if you are using them for an extended period of time, when other headphones or in-ears become uncomfortable. Actually, I cannot recommend them highly enough (and I have owned Bose, Sony, and Sennheiser headphones and in ear pieces before; there was nothing wrong with any of them, it is just that none of them were a patch on the B&W P5s.)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I don't have the Shure SE535's - although I have heard - and read - some very good reports about them, and the quality of the sound that they deliver.

However, I do own a pair of the B&W P5s and can say that they are easily the best, most comfortable, (most stylish, if that is a consideration), headphones I have ever owned (and I am passionate about my music).

The P5s are exceedingly portable, offer a superb audio experience, and the comfort (from that lovely soft leather) has to be felt to be experienced, which is especially useful if you are using them for an extended period of time, when other headphones or in-ears become uncomfortable. Actually, I cannot recommend them highly enough (and I have owned Bose, Sony, and Sennheiser headphones and in ear pieces before; there was nothing wrong with any of them, it is just that none of them were a patch on the B&W P5s.)

They are pretty good, they sound better than my Shure SE215. I'm still doubting about upgrading to the Shure SE535.

I"m afraid that after spending so much money on those earbuds, it might not sound better than my B&W P5 as mobile headphones :p

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Anyone knows if the Shure Se535 sounds better than the B&W P5? ( the shure SE215 sounds bad in comparison to the B&W P5 eventhough they are the best earbuds I ever heard )

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I'm not really sure how you can compare these. The P5 are over-ear cans, the SE535 are IEMs. While the end result is the same (both reproduce sound), you are comparing two totally different technologies. Whichever one sounds better to you is going to be a matter of preference.

Personally, I own a pair of SE535s and I have absolutely no regrets. They are the best earphones I have ever owned.

About two months ago I landed up lending them to a friend (with a different pair of buds on them) who had accidentally crushed one of his custom Westone drivers under a very large and heavy stage crate (don't ask me how it happened). He needed a pair of IEMs for the day to perform at a festival so I gave him my SE535s, and even though they fit differently I was told that the quality was right up there with the custom fit units.

So as far as IEMs go, I'm sure the SE535s are about as good as you can get without having a pair built specifically for your ear. I'd highly recommend them if you can deal with an IEM (some people hate having things inserted into their ears). But again, the P5 is a totally different form factor so you can't really compare them directly- you'd have to go and listen to either to see which one sounds best, and I'm not sure how you're going to do that with the 535s because most places won't let you return them due to hygienic reasons.

Edit: To answer your original question, the following just transpired between me and my buddy on MSN:

me: Hey, have you ever used a pair of B&W P5s?
him: yah
him: got the gf a pair for her birthday
him: used them for about 4 hours and sent em back
me: Why?
him: overpriced garbage
him: any set of studio cans kick the **** out of them
him: the quality was crap and the sound sucked
me: Compared to what?
him: my es5s, hell even jasons um3x units
him: dave said they reminded him of a monster product
me: Would you say my SE535s were > then the P5s?
him: fo shure
him: the 535s are worth the asking price
him: the p5s arent
him: they sounded and felt like a pair of $100 studio cans max

-SC

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks all. I think I'll go for the Westone um3x since they have a similar sound to the B&W P5 apparently, hence I might like these better than the Shure SE 535. ( and it's cheaper also :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.