Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I have the newest iPod Nano and have noticed corrosion or white powdery film in and around the headphone input.

I noticed it on when taking out the headphones and cleaned it up and a week later still there.

I thought it was the headphones but I switched the different set of headphones and same issue.

Any idea why this is happening

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Look at the chalk on that one.

Yeah, he must work out.

------------------

Seriously, is it sweat? Maybe sweat is running down your headphone cord and collecting on the plug. When sweat dries, what's left behind is the salt.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Um, could it be pocket lint or possibly deodorant? I find my iPhone 5 collects lots of lint and my deodorant will sometimes flake and fall along my waistband and into my pockets at times (I know, odd).

Sweat is another good call out.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Here are a few pictures, one of the ipod nano and one of the headphone input.

I where the ipod clipped to my shorts with a roocase and the headphone input pointing down. I use the iPod daily for listening to podcasts and music 15- 20 hours a week. I do run 25-40 miles wearing them.

The first pair of headphones where Monster iSport and now I am using Sennheisser/Adidas.

I was using a ipod shuffle for a couple years with no problems but wanted more options to see what I was playing fso I upgraded to the nano.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
today I was listening to the ipod and the voiceover started stating the podcast and the next song, nest song and on and on.

Now the control on the headphone cable isnt working anyone

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
this is the second pair of headphones that the control on the headphones have been fired!

Do you think it is the ipod nano causing this?

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
The powder probably means there's a problem with the Nano. If you live near an Apple Store, your probably best to take it there.

Having said that, I've had problems with EarPods before (presuming your using EarPods). I've had one replaced because one of the earbuds stopped working, and another pair in our house have dodgy buttons that sometimes just don't register anything.

If the EarPods are the problem, the Apple Store just replace them on the spot without even testing them - no questions asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.