Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I just had a flashback moment but although iPod sales are down, I think two of the main reasons to keep it alive are:

1. It's pretty much a budget iPhone without the calling. It also aims at people wanting an MP3 player only. I use mine for gym a lot and I don't want to take my phone to the gym. My iTouch has had a good few falls

2. Revenue generated via iTunes purchases from the touch. I personally download a lot from my iPod touch and wifi syncs it to my other apple devices when I get home. Iwp wonder what % contributes towards any paid purchases from iPod touch. Even if its 15%, that's a lot of moola :apple:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I got the the ipod touch and i think its awesome. I had an old iphone i didn't want to refresh as I am living out of my home country and didn't want to commit to a plan or spring for $700. The touch at $300 seems a bit overpriced, but it is incredibly light, has a decent camera and a great display. I imagine the ipod touch will be discountinued with the advent of a lower cost mini--it was there when i needed it!

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The devices themselves are a good source of revenue too. There's always last year's hardware used for those iPods, basically a perfect way to get rid of old hardware stock while still getting good money for it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i get it if people bring their sansa clip or ipod shuffle/nano to the gym but not the touch.

It doesn't even make great sound quality and way too overpriced if you will just mainly listen to music on it. But that just my 2 cents, rich people have their way of spending money.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
i get it if people bring their sansa clip or ipod shuffle/nano to the gym but not the touch.

It doesn't even make great sound quality and way too overpriced if you will just mainly listen to music on it. But that just my 2 cents, rich people have their way of spending money.

You obviously haven't heard the Galaxy S3/4 sound! From a sound quality, and engineering perspective, iPod touch is superb! Nano won't do for me cause I choose my music while I work out and nano capacity is way too small for my collection. Hence the obvious iPod touch option :D

And based on observation, I'm a pretty normal bloke compared to everyone bringing their phones and texting more than working out. I also use mine a lot out of gym. A little web surfing, checking iTunes and downloading (instead of pulling out the Mac or iPad). There are distinct advantages of the iPod Touch! I also prefer to separate phone from touch for battery life purposes as I am a heavy user all round.

And I'm not rich. Just call me a BEEEEG spender! :D

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You obviously haven't heard the Galaxy S3/4 sound! From a sound quality, and engineering perspective, iPod touch is superb! Nano won't do for me cause I choose my music while I work out and nano capacity is way too small for my collection. Hence the obvious iPod touch option :D

And based on observation, I'm a pretty normal bloke compared to everyone bringing their phones and texting more than working out. I also use mine a lot out of gym. A little web surfing, checking iTunes and downloading (instead of pulling out the Mac or iPad). There are distinct advantages of the iPod Touch! I also prefer to separate phone from touch for battery life purposes as I am a heavy user all round.

And I'm not rich. Just call me a BEEEEG spender! :D

u are right!! never use any Galaxy device before so i dont know but i tried to samsung W1 which was suppose to be like bundle mp3 player with S3. It sound great.

As for Ipod touch, i wish i still have my gen 4 so i can compare sound quality with my Iphone 4 which i found to be very flat. I wish i know the sounding of Touch 5, if i like it i can get the 16gb just for the music and game. My iphone already has superb camera.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I got the the ipod touch and i think its awesome.

Of course it's awesome, just as long as people stop comparing it to the iPhone... because duh, it's not a phone.

It's great as a dedicated music/media player, with the added ability that it can run about 99% of all the iPhone/iOS apps available for download.

It's actually close to perfect... and steps toward perfection would be:

1) Apple bumps up the choice for larger capacity (64GB, 128GB, etc)

2) Give it a true real GPS and compass already. So it can easily do the Apple Maps or Google Maps driving direction thing as well as enable use of many other GPS-based apps.

3) Drop the price down a bit Apple, because who the hell wants to buy a brand new Touch when for almost the same price you'd be tempted to spend that money on an iPad or iPad Mini instead.

maaen

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
wishing for a large ipod touch

Think of this with all seriousness...If there was a six inch + ipod touch with 128gb memory , a huge battery..a powerful camera with low light picture taking capability and a beautiful finish ..hand strap and all...then call it BABY IPAD with wifi capability.... then this would be a very respectable and seriously attractive device to carry around .A large screen of 6 inches or just over would be ideal to look at files or to refer to maps ..I would never leave home without a device of this type or size.And this would be Apple way of saying thanks to the ipod touch for making it possible to develope the ipad.

Last edited:

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
I find my 5th gen ipad touch to be a wonderful bit of equipment that fits in my shirt pocket. When waiting in a mall while my wife shops, I can read a book very nicely. That holds true for anytime I have to wait for something.I have a ready camera at all times at and I can use face time when away on vacation on a local wiFi. There are games to while away the time, get the current currency rate when out of the country and even translate a language. AND IT ALL FITS IN MY SHIRT POCKET!:D

maaen

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Appreciate your comment but don't you think that there ought to be a pocketable size which is also well inside the seven inch diagonal which would be perfect for a whole lot of people? I have always been wishing for a large ipod touch since owning my first ipod touch 2nd gen .the screen was always just too small to read pdf files in ibooks and the ipod touch 4gen with the camera remained too small to do any justice to picture taking and watching videos.I really believe that Apple needs to have a baby ipad smaller than the Ipad mini and it should be a seriously researched product...because a whole lot of people around the world would love a small media device free of all contract entrapments and smaller than the ipad mini which is ok for people who do not want to carry around a large ipad but too large for people who need a media device in every way related to the ipod touch but much larger yet small enough for a shirt pocket device. A six inch or slightly larger screen size would make a lot of people very happy.THINK ABOUT IT seriously. ..I have.

maaen

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Appreciate your comment but don't you think that there ought to be a pocketable size which is also well inside the seven inch diagonal which would be perfect for a whole lot of people? I have always been wishing for a large ipod touch since owning my first ipod touch 2nd gen .the screen was always just too small to read pdf files in ibooks and the ipod touch 4gen with the camera remained too small to do any justice to picture taking and watching videos.I really believe that Apple needs to have a baby ipad smaller than the Ipad mini and it should be a seriously researched product...because a whole lot of people around the world would love a small media device free of all contract entrapments and smaller than the ipad mini which is ok for people who do not want to carry around a large ipad but too large for people who need a media device in every way related to the ipod touch but much larger yet small enough for a shirt pocket device. A six inch or slightly larger screen size would make a lot of people very happy.THINK ABOUT IT seriously. ..I have.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I would love a slightly larger iPod Touch screen

Larger screen would be heaven for me. I had my iPodTouch with me today. My purse was so much lighter than iPad mini. I would get two if the screen was larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.