Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Hey there guys. I've been looking all over the web for a long time now, but google only throws up garbage like always. I'm trying to find some images of the original restore discs that came with the ppc machines i have. Just out of simple curiosity to see what software was included with those machines when you got them in the store so many years ago and how they were set up for use. I don't think there would be something wrong if someone made something like this available since that software was sold with the computer at that time and since it's deprecated. So, with that out of the way, have any of you guys got some ideea where i might find something like this?

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
Macintosh Garden has some machine specific restore disks:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/operating-systems

If yours isn't there, they might know where you can find it. If Apple still has any on hand (doubtful for G4s), they'd probably mail it to you for the cost of postage. That's the way they used to do it.

Side note: I read on the Apple site recently where someone called Apple to get a system restore for a G4 or G5. They didn't have it, but gave the person a good deal on the Leopard retail disk as a substitute ($17 if I remember correctly). I guess it just depends on who you get on the phone and which way the wind is blowing.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Macintosh Garden has some machine specific restore disks:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/operating-systems

If yours isn't there, they might know where you can find it. If Apple still has any on hand (doubtful for G4s), they'd probably mail it to you for the cost of postage. That's the way they used to do it.

Side note: I read on the Apple site recently where someone called Apple to get a system restore for a G4 or G5. They didn't have it, but gave the person a good deal on the Leopard retail disk as a substitute ($17 if I remember correctly). I guess it just depends on who you get on the phone and which way the wind is blowing.

I have already browsed through the macintoshgarden software library a few times, but unfortunatelly, more and more links are dead.

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Any particular models you're looking for?

The ones in my signature. I got all of them from friends and none of them had the original discs anymore. I got all the retail system discs i could get my hands on, but it would be nice to do some experimenting with them using their original discs.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I have:
– 691-2463-A - iMac DV Software restore
– Z691-3516-A - iMac G4 Disc 5 (Applications) from 5 disc Software Restore set
– Z691-2774-A - iMovie 2.0.1 for OS 9.1

I can upload .dmg somewhere if you're interested. Drop me PM if so.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Any particular models you're looking for?

New to Mac format and just had a old iMac G5 PPC given to me with 10.5.8 pre-installed but no original install disks (probably sold by the original owner). As i understand it, the OS X install disks are machine specific and I can't determine which (of the thousands out there) Leopard system disks I should be looking for. Any help?

Thanks.
Bill:confused:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
^^^For Leopard you need retail disc:
installdvd.png

There was no 10.5 PowerPC machine specific install disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.