Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi all

Google has recently released the new Nexus 7 2013, which in all, is better than iPad with Retina, (4th Gen.) in every way :-

1920x1200 HD display (323 ppi) vs
2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Despite the iPad's higher resolution, the Nexus 7 is still better based on pixels-per-inch.

My question, is Apple in trouble here? They must do something this year, otherwise Apple will have allot of catching up to do next year.

Looking at this already, either-way, the next iPad mini must have more than 324 ppi at the very least. Something i doubt Apple can do.

Since, how i see it anyway, Apple bumps the resolution higher and higher with little concern over what *truly* makes a better display, and maybe could also be a reason why Apples not selling as many iPad's as they were previously.

The only thing i see that could get people to keep their current 3rd/4th gen. iPad would be if they are in the Apple-e o system already (they are all Apple products), and/or they have spent too much $$$ on Apps, while on Google Play, their mostly free, people who switch, would be basically tossing all that mo ey away anyway.

Something which far outweighs switching.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I honestly couldn't tell you what the resolution, ppi or anything else on my iPad Mini is
I would have to pull up the specs to see
Frankly, I don't care

I love my iPad Mini, it does everything I want and I see no reason to chase specs on another device

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Maybe if you're one of those "measurebators" (photographers know the type) then the new, improved Nexus 7 is superior to the iPad Mini. Specs are nice, but they ain't everything.

I prefer the freedom of android to the walled garden approach of :apple:, so for me it is the superior machine. Even if the new iPad Mini equals or beats the new Nexus 7 specs, the freedom of android makes it the better machine for my need. For some people, the security and user friendly UI offered by iOS makes the iPad Mini better, even with lesser specs.

Apple's superior UI gives them an advantage that can leverage for mo money outta people. People have voted with the wallets. Apple is still has a huge lead.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Apple was perfect when there were no competition, back in 2008 or so. Now with the competition stands up in front of Apple, Apple really needs to show us something completely new.

Google is never perfect at anything, including Android, but they at least let everyone think about what's the next thing they should do.

What I do love about Android is that it allows me to really manage every photo and document in my phone like I do in my PC, especially I take hundreds of photos each time on site. I cannot depend on cloud or a locked down system to manage hundreds of photos, because they are wasting my data in my data plan and inefficient. Also the best thing in Android is I can select a different app to open a file each time without moving it from App to App. Why would anyone want to remember the file is contained in which app?

Apple is a great lead in mobile market because most people treat their mobile phone as PSP and this is what iOS devices are good at, gaming.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is Apple in trouble? Hmm no.

Most people don't give two ***** about PPI. In fact, like MacDawg has stated, he couldn't tell you the PPI and most people could not. People are so ****ing hung up on numbers that they basically confuse themselves out of a purchase.

I am a fan of Apple's walled garden. It fits my needs and works with what is in my home. I've been on Android and with all the other Apple crap in my house, it was disjointed. If I were on Windows still, I could see me saying the same thing but the opposite. It really comes down to what I like and what I want.

If Apple has lost then let me know.

----------

Google is never perfect at anything, including Android, but they at least let everyone think about what's the next thing they should do.

What does this mean? Apple doesn't prevent me from thinking about what I should do.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
You can buy a Windows 8 laptop with double the specs of the MacBook Pro for 3/4 the price or lower.

You could buy a Kindle Fire (remember, the iPad killer from almost two ago) for $199, which you can now snag for $174 or even $$159 if you agree to having ads on it.

Etc, etc, etc...

No, Apple has not lost. They will lose a few customers, even if only temporarily, to the shine of new gadgets but I assure you they will still gain far more than they lose.

If you look at Apple's history the reason behind this is clear as day. In 1997 Steve Jobs returned to Apple, a company nearing the end of it's "dark years". He would put an end to Mac clones, spread the word that the focus was to be on making products and services that could only be found with Apple and that the key to making this work was by creating ideal platforms for developers. 10 years later Apple unveils the iPhone. A year later (11 years after his return) we are introduced to the App store, which has gone on to be incredibly successful for both Apple and the developers of the products housed within it.

iOS, much like OS X, is only available on Apple's products. Android is a strong competitor for sure, but can one really imagine a mass exodus of Apple fans switching to an Android tablet? Heck, and at that an Android Tablet that, just like all things on that side of the playing field, will be "obsolete" in a couple of months?

The Nexus 7 will be a flash in the pan, quickly replaced by the next great "iPad killer" within 2-3 months. One need only look at the past 6 years to see this cycle repeated time and time again.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Apple is a great lead in mobile market because most people treat their mobile phone as PSP and this is what iOS devices are good at, gaming.

I guess I am in the minority then, because I don't game at all on my iOS devices
Actually, nobody I know does, but that is likely because of my age and demographic

Unfortunately, we typically think everyone is like us, when they aren't

While you feel most people use their iOS devices for gaming, I think they use them for texting, email, web browsing, face time, camera, facebook, twitter, weather, evernote, maps, and so much more

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
That's opinion. My opinion is that unless the Nexus can run iOS, the iPad will always be better.

True, its not all about the hardware, and iOS has better software, to some degree anyway.

It almost looks like a game of 'leap-frog'

Google knows how to hurt Apple. Then Apple bounces back.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Unfortunately, we typically think everyone is like us, when they aren't

This is basically the downfall of people in general.

I'm much more of a power user and have considered switching from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S3/4 for my personal phone. The main reason I haven't though is I work as a Mac admin and regularly support Macs & iOS devices, which is a lot easier to do when you're using the same thing day in and day out. The difference though, even though I'm someone who could be attracted to the Android platform, is that I recognize the vast majority of people in my life would be absolutely lost with the Android OS. I haven't done much "selling" of iPhones to friends and family members but almost everyone in my family (immediate, cousins, relatives) use them, many of which also have iPads and a few have Macs. Very rarely have I had to support them, thanks mostly to the "it just works" approach and the consistent & intuitive UI.

Heck, even when I've played with friend's Android devices and with the Galaxy in a store I've had a really hard time navigating the UI, adjusting stuff, etc. I have no doubt I'd figure most stuff out pretty quickly, but if it's that clunky for me to "just pick up and use" then I can't begin to imagine my mom, sister, ungle, cousins, etc trying to use it. This is a big part of why iOS took off so quickly and maintains such sales volume today.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I look, another "Apple lost, iOS is doomed" thread just like we've been seeing for the past 5 years.

Funny thing is...it still hasn't happened yet. The galaxy tab was to be a killer, so was the surface, so was the motorola droid, so was the galaxy s3 and windows phone etc etc etc.

See the pattern OP?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
That's opinion. My opinion is that unless the Nexus can run iOS, the iPad will always be better.

Superior ecosystem > Hardware fluff

----------

I look, another "Apple lost, iOS is doomed" thread just like we've been seeing for the past 5 years.

Funny thing is...it still hasn't happened yet. The galaxy tab was to be a killer, so was the surface, so was the motorola droid, so was the galaxy s3 and windows phone etc etc etc.

See the pattern OP?

You forgot about Zune aka "The iPod Killer" hahahahahahahahahaha :D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
My question, is Apple in trouble here? They must do something this year, otherwise Apple will have allot of catching up to do next year.
IIRC, every year since the iPhone/iPad came out, there's been some manufacturer that came out with a new phone or tablet that had better specs. :confused:

But honestly, there are posts like yours concerning the original iPhone from seven years ago, which is why a lot of people roll their eyes when this topic is brought up year after year after year.

Maybe this is the year that they're in trouble.

If this year is like the last seven, then no, they're not.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I prefer my Mini over my Nexus 7 any day the apps on iOS make the price of the mini worth it alone. Apps on Android tablets for the most part are just scaled up phone apps and there are only a handful of tablet apps, none of which I want to use.

As an example, SiriusXM, 9News (local news app), AP News, Denver Post. These are apps I use every day and there are no tablet versions for them on Android.

These apps show off just how beautiful and useful an app on the iPad can be.

Notice I mentioned nothing about speed or screen quality? None of that matters. It's all about the apps and the user experience. iPad rules on both of those.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Google has recently released the new Nexus 7 2013.

Let's see, the iPad retina was released in March of 2012, and now Google is beginning to catch up 16 months later. It doesn't sound like Google is doing very well.

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
When comparing iOS and android tablets, specs are not the main problem. Very, very few android apps are tablet optimised so the end user experience is poor, no matter how good the device is. As long as android apps just scale to the screen size,which I appreciate they have to do for phones to accommodate the wide range of screen sizes available, google should be pushing developers to make their apps tablet optimised. Without this, I will always choose an iOS tablet over android as it is a much better experience.
There is no doubt though that the iPad mini needs a retina display, and I think this would give it both a higher resolution and pixel density than the new nexus 7, although it may be a whileuntil apple do it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think Apple was expecting it to take longer for the screen resolution as a marketing gimmick to fail. They haven't even converted their entire lineup to "retina", their current MBP lags because it can't power the screen, and competitors like Bookstores have managed to out-class their screens.

iOS 7 is a re-skinned iOS 6, and their past few OS X releases have been about removing advanced features, not adding them.

Now looking at OS X Mavericks, it looks like Apple may be back on track. Maybe iOS 7 will have some surprises when it gets released, and they'll have something new to market.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Since, how i see it anyway, Apple bumps the resolution higher and higher with little concern over what *truly* makes a better display, and maybe could also be a reason why Apples not selling as many iPad's as they were previously.

I don't agree. Besides the DPI Apple's iPad displays are also great in terms of colour accuracy, colour gamut, contrast. They are great displays whichever way you look at it. So they clearly do have a concern for this.

The iPad mini will also have 330 dpi once it goes retina.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple has proven over and over again that a majority of its users do not give a rats #*($ about specs. Android and Google has been trying to "out spec" Apple since their first attempt at a "pad" and time and time again people choose Apple based on the look and feel of the product and OS over some "numbers".

You'll never learn.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The Nexus 7 is better than the iPad in almost every way because of it's higher PPI, despite the iPad's larger resolution?

This has to be one of the strangest things I've ever read on these forums.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Sure everyone i know shops for tablets on pure specs. They want to know all about the ppi and really care about that stuff.

...except that they don't. Every single friend and family member has purchased an iPad because that is what you buy to work with iTunes. All of those people think Android is some alternative to the iphone that has a robotic commercial saying " drooooooiiiiiid ".

Thats it, thats all they know. They don't care and don't go to web sites where techies debate things. Can this momentum every be lost...sure but its going to take a lot to lose it and by then, who knows what ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.