Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Awful game - a series of design blunders to justify the always on DRM mean it's no fun to play.

Well... to be fair, I'm not sure justifying DRM had anything to do with the design blunders. The game just wasn't designed well enough to be the epic replayable monster that 2000 was.

In my experience, the DRM has only been a minor inconvenience (especially after the first few miserable weeks).

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
You will build everything within 2 weeks, and then you are staring at your screen thinking "What is the point of this". There is no overall goal, no competition.. nothing.

That's actually been true of every version of SimCity since it was released. That's kind of the point.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I want to be able to take over other cities through corruption and violence. A Sim-GTA of sorts.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I still don't understand why they're forcing players to be online to actually be able to play the game?! It just feels like EA is trying to force something onto users that's somewhat unnecessary, rather than allowing the user to decide for themselves how that want to utilize the gameplay options available to them.

Same as with most online only games, they want to make sure you pay for it. It is too easy to torrent and pay nothing for games these days. I agree with online only if that is the only way to ensure people pay. Too many people get the games for free these days.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Well... to be fair, I'm not sure justifying DRM had anything to do with the design blunders. The game just wasn't designed well enough to be the epic replayable monster that 2000 was.

In my experience, the DRM has only been a minor inconvenience (especially after the first few miserable weeks).

The whole idea of tiny connected cities that feed off each other was obviously created as a justification for needing a constant internet connection.

RobeeSVK

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Slovakia
will see

Still considering trying it out, but the unholy trinity of reasons (always online - small cities - EA (more specifically - lack of trust in that company to bring that game to level fans were expecting)) is very strong.

Frankly, I would have preferred thousand times more to have EA finish port of SimCity 4 (I remember reading Aspyr lost licence and left universal binary patch unfinished) and SimCity 3000 also (2000 is safe and sound on GOG) - so I would not have to start my Parallels with Windows XP to play them. But chances are not very high as we all know.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Just don't buy it.

- City size is WAY too small
- EA DRM (DRM is not welcome in the Mac world)
- Expensive
- Origin lock-in

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
As someone who has been with the franchise since 1990, I'll get it. I've heard all the complaints, and they seem valid. But, as of now, there is no way I can play any version of Simcity on my Mac, so I'm sort of stuck. Bad SimCity is better than no SimCity. (I hope.)

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I don't care that it is an always online connection since I'm always online but the city sizes are horrid. All you do is start new cities while old regions become ghost towns. The game designers are pathetic and I'm ashamed I bit the hook, even if it was at a reduced price. I guess the SimCity lover in me took a chance.

Don't waste your money.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
As someone who has been with the franchise since 1990, I'll get it. I've heard all the complaints, and they seem valid. But, as of now, there is no way I can play any version of Simcity on my Mac, so I'm sort of stuck. Bad SimCity is better than no SimCity. (I hope.)

There are better options. SimCity 2000 is available on gog for OS X. (It's DOSbox but it's preconfigured so you don't have to do anything.)

SimCity 4 Deluxe for PC runs great in Wine, and is the best SimCity once you add the great NAM transportation mod.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Well, I still enjoy playing the good ol' SimCity 4 Deluxe on my Quad G5 box, so I might actually give this a shot.
Yes, I've seen these comments dooming both EA and the new Sim City, but I prefer to not to judge something I haven't tried myself.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
This always online policy really grind my gears... It could just check before you enter the game, no?

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I was also very excited about this game and had it came out when it was originally supposed to, it would probably already be on my Mac. But at this point, like others have said...too little too late. Very disappointing, glad I have Sim City 4 for OS X.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
crack app and play... thx EA...you're the company that we love to download for free and play.

m7ammed

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I don't care that it is an always online connection since I'm always online but the city sizes are horrid. All you do is start new cities while old regions become ghost towns. The game designers are pathetic and I'm ashamed I bit the hook, even if it was at a reduced price. I guess the SimCity lover in me took a chance.

Don't waste your money.

I like the game but true city sizes are the only issue I have with it, but I try to go around that by building multiple ones in the same region. I stopped playing it on Windows because it just sucks booting into bootcamp and of and on and off.

I really hope they will release it on August 29th as it seem they have pushed their August release date the furthest they can by making it on the 29th.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
I was actually looking forward to this game.., until I read you guys comments :p

You don't have to read the comments here... just read any reviews or comments about the PC version. It's been out for a while now and has seen lots and lots of updates to fix the bugs present in the original version, yet it still sucks.

Mac vs. PC sentiments aside, Sim City is fundamentally crap.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You don't have to read the comments here... just read any reviews or comments about the PC version. It's been out for a while now and has seen lots and lots of updates to fix the bugs present in the original version, yet it still sucks.

Mac vs. PC sentiments aside, Sim City is fundamentally crap.

You might want to add "(2013)" after that, just so people don't think you're dissing the entire franchise.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I refuse to purchase any EA games as I do not like the company and their business practises.

Luckily I am not missing out on much as Sim City is garbage. Another franchise totally destroyed by those muppets at EA.

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Bought the PC version...it's pure junk. Played it twice. It takes about 10 minutes to get into the actual game, after you connect to their "servers" and download the new updates and finally load your game from their cloud.

Easily the worst gaming experience. Can't wait to try it on the Mac. :rolleyes:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Hope you guys buying enjoy your siren trees

(There was a bug a while back that gave trees their own sound effect, which was an ambulance and a race car, not sure if it's fixed, not going to find out)

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.