Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has sent an email to streaming Internet radio stations asking them to submit cover art for future use on iTunes and mobile devices. It appears that Apple will soon feature independent streaming music stations more prominently, including making them available on iOS -- perhaps in iOS 7.

The company does note that submitted Internet Radio cover art is not currently displayed to users anywhere.
Dear Internet Radio Provider,

Cover Art

The iTunes Store now requires cover art for Internet Radio stations. The cover art files must be 1400 x 1400 pixels in JPG or PNG format using RGB color space. The image URL must end in ".jpg", ".jpeg" or ".png". To add cover art to your station, send an email to itunesradio@apple.com including your contact name, station name and cover art file.

Cover art should avoid pixelation. Any text should be legible at reduced image sizes on small devices. Note that Internet Radio cover art is not currently displayed.

Questions about iTunes Radio?

Check out iTunes Radio here.

Regards,

The iTunes Internet Radio Team
iTunes.png
On the Mac and PC, iTunes currently features hundreds of streaming radio stations, including many college and foreign stations.

iTunes Radio, which launches this fall with iOS 7, is a Pandora-like music service that allows listeners to stream ad-supported songs explicitly licensed by Apple, though it's not clear how Apple plans to integrate iTunes Radio and the existing streaming Internet radio stations.

Thanks Airplay Radio!

Article Link: Apple Asking Internet Radio Providers to Submit Cover Art for Future Use

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I've used iTunes Radio once, I'm personally not a fan (not a fan of Pandora either). At least they're trying. Came in a bit late though.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Nice to see them continuing their traditional internet radio listing.
Wish they allowed the stations to be cached locally before opening the categories that way they'd also be searchable.

Oh and add some features... like alerts for plays of your favorite singer when he or she is played on a station maybe. Just an idea, but something beyond listing and play would be nice.

Also, I'm still missing my favorite radio station on there which even happens to be Europe's biggest internet radio station (network). *cough cough*
Either add them or allow me to slap my favorite one in that listing. I hate adding the stream URL to my music library. It produces all sorts of clutter and mess... Yuck...

Glassed Silver:win

Last edited:

Georgij

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I think I will have to wait few years more for iTunes Radio, they don't even have iTunes Match here in Sweden...

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
iTunes radio makes it easy to listen to radio stations from all over the world in all different languages and formats. I favor news, sports and radio stations running old time radio programs. It is a hidden gem that most iTunes users ignore or don't even know that it exists.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
This is just one of many things that have me awaiting iOS7 more than the next phone or tablet that will use it. This will make my iPhone 5 "new" in many ways.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
I personally cannot wait for this! Fall couldn't come any sooner.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm not really a fan of streaming music,I like to have control over my own play lists . I know services similar to pandora are hot these days but I always find myself skipping and skipping and skipping even listening to the genre's I like.

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
From the little I've used iTunes Radio I think it does a really great job... probably since I'm an iTunes Match user and don't have to worry about adds.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I really hope they leave the existing iTunes streaming radio channels alone, or bundle them as they are with the new radio service. Cool Jazz channel (part of jazzradio.com ) and Blues Rock channel (part of rockradio.com ) are awesome and non-commercial.

Of course, they both offer stand alone apps now, and they're great as part of AppleTV as well.. They sound great on 5.1 dolby digital with THX surround sound.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not really a fan of streaming music,I like to have control over my own play lists . I know services similar to pandora are hot these days but I always find myself skipping and skipping and skipping even listening to the genre's I like.
I like owning music myself but there are definitely days where I just want to listen to a genre and not necessarily the music that I've heard before. iTunes Match is a surprisingly good Pandora competitor. Ex. my Hawaiian station is already worlds better and more accurate than the Pandora station I have pruned for years.

This is just one of many things that have me awaiting iOS7 more than the next phone or tablet that will use it. This will make my iPhone 5 "new" in many ways.
As someone who has been using iOS 7 since the first beta I can confidently say that iOS 7 will be a bigger upgrade for the 5 than any hardware/features the 5S will add. It's familiar yet completely different and a LOT more functional.

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
this could be the winner here guys.
love iTunes radio, would love to have this on my iPhone too.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
I'd love for them to just drop an fm/am radio into the device so I can listen to my sports stations without having to carry around an actual fm/am radio when I want to listen to sports while I'm out running/riding/yard-working

9 times out of 10, I try to listen to my local teams playing and they're blacked out on streaming apps like "i heart radio" or "KNBR".

AlexBerkman

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Copenhagen
The first thing that bugged me when I got my iPad-mini was when I realized that I could not stream internet radio streams through iTunes. Hope this will change now.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
What struck me most about this article was the spec for album art. I remember when standard iTunes covers were 300 x 300 pixels. Now they're up to 1400 x 1400! :eek:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
I am legitimately concerned about the ETA on Canadian iTunes Radio arrival. I need it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.