Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_charger_china-250x250.jpg
Following the electrocution of a Chinese woman that may have been caused by a counterfeit iPhone charger, Apple will launch a new recycling program on August 16th to dispose of any USB power adapter used with the iPhone and iPad.

The company is also offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter. The program was first reported by 9to5Mac.
Recent reports have suggested that some counterfeit and third party adapters may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. While not all third party adapters have an issue, we are announcing a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program to enable customers to acquire properly designed adapters.

Customer safety is a top priority at Apple. That's why all of our products -- including USB power adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod -- undergo rigorous testing for safety and reliability and are designed to meet government safety standards around the world.

Starting August 16, 2013, if you have concerns about any of your USB power adapters, you can drop them off at an Apple Retail Store or at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. We will ensure that these adapters are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
To get the discounted charger, users can bring any USB power adapter and an iPhone, iPad or iPod to an Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider. Only one replacement adapter per device is allowed.

Apple does note that retail stores or service providers cannot give any information about the authenticity or safety of power adapters.

This is not the first time that Apple has introduced a special support program for USB power adapters. In 2008, Apple issued a recall for USB power adapters included with the iPhone 3G. There were a number of reports that the metal prongs on the ultracompact power adapters could break off and get stuck in the wall. To this day, Apple puts a green dot on new power adapters to differentiate them from the older, recalled models.

Article Link: Apple Launches Third-Party USB Charger 'Takeback Program'

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
So I can buy an unofficial charger off eBay for $5, bring it in to Apple and get an official one for $10? That's $5 savings!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
With such a discount, I expect people to bring brand new third-party adapters they got for a couple bucks just in order to get the discount. Not that it won't help to avoid people from being electrocuted, but it will create unnecessary waste. Still a good move overall, but I wonder how could this be avoided.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
This either shows that:
A-Apple is naive
B-Apple chargers cost them nearly nothing.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
So I can buy an unofficial charger off eBay for $5, bring it in to Apple and get an official one for $10? That's $5 savings!

Or build one out of a small cardboard cube and stuff a bunch of crappy components in it :p

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Wait. Is this for the Lightning cable or the plug? They should do it for Lightning cables, I'd stock up :D

ad5ll

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
If they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: Altivec88

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Or that, you know, Apple's PR know how to turn negative coverage into positive one. It's a brilliant marketing move, and any marketing usually costs money anyway.

Im leaning towards B.

----------

if they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Good Move. A company that cares!

This is a great idea, and a responsible action by Apple.

Apple going above and beyond yet again

Right on! x3

American ingenuity at work, lol

This either shows that:
A-Apple is naive
B-Apple chargers cost them nearly nothing.

A cynic's point of view; give them some credit, won't ye?

Shellbo6901

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
FL
they should also replace any cord of theirs that gets frayed(since that could also catch fire/shock you, after it frays withing 2-3 months of use), with a new one

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I take it this is only the plug itself and not the cable? I have some iPhone 5 third-party (clearly fake) chargers. The plug themselves are fine, it's the cables that I would like to exchange.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
If they weren't price gouging everyone by charging people $20 for their "official" power adapter this wouldn't be near the problem.

I'm sorry, but it's not Apple's responsibility to worry about how cheap, unlicensed, and occasionally faulty third party chargers are priced. If you don't want to fork over the $20 for an extra charger, you get what you pay for. Would it be nice if the official chargers were cheaper? Absolutely! But they're not, and in my opinion, $20 isn't too much to ask for a well built charger.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Right on! x3

American ingenuity at work, lol

A cynic's point of view; give them some credit, won't ye?

Why? They are a business that owes their shareholders...This just goes to show their chargers are truly overpriced. Not like we didnt already know that...

But hey, people will pay that price. Im all for making the most $$$. But I dont like to see people parade around like some benevolent do-gooder when we all know they just want to make money like the rest of us.

EDIT: Also, this is no epidemic. How many people are getting killed by "cheap" chargers? They all come from the same place and are based on the same principle.

PR stunt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.