Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's just hilarious. You're basically negating the 2013 Macbook Air's single competitive advantage...Bragging about performance on a Macbook Air while mocking the battery lifespan as unnecessary... seriously?

I'm not exactly sure where you read this. But ok. :confused:

What I am saying is that i5 or i7, both give you about the same battery life doing low effort stuff. The difference is about about 1 hour or two out of 10 or 11 doing higher effort stuff. And you typically are not doing that kind of stuff away from a plug for so many hours at a time.

If you do, then buy the i5 and be done with it. I'd rather have the faster computer, thank you. :rolleyes:

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I had a feeling you may miss it hence I put it in bold, but seems you still missed it anyways.

But no you're wrong. According to Anandtech you will get only 4.5 hours on i7 for high usage, vs 5.5 hours for i5 on high usage. So it isn't "just 1 or 2 hours from 10 or 11"... which is a 20% loss.

But you make up for that 20% importing 720p, because it takes 10seconds on an i5 while it takes 8 seconds on the i7. Yeap, that 2 seconds = 20%.

And, not I don't think you know how long someone may spend away from a charger. Maybe you're a student? But say in my case I don't carry a charger around as so I'm away from home for 15 hours some work days - which includes 4+ hours on the road with my team on multiple factory visit days.
In the backseat is actually where I get most of my emailing and databasing work done daily.

Yes, I looked into car chargers for the air before I made my purchase but it all comes with risk, which is unworthy.

The 12 hour battery is a game changer. Maybe you can advise Samsung to release a 10 hour battery and say use the tagline "who's away for more than 10 hours anyways" :rolleyes:

And last but not least, I'm not trying to convince you that you made a wrong buy at all. I couldn't care less what you bought. What does matter is if you spit out wrong information in a thread where many mac-curious users on the net read and take into consideration. You need to lay out the facts minus emotions and let them make their own choices.

For example, I would suggest people looking for a performance laptop to buy the Macbook Pro coming out in a month.
It makes no sense to pay the same for an Air(after upgrade to i7/8), as you would a base rMBP which is Apple's latest Laptop with a modern body, screen, design, and ports (can connect to 2 external displays simultaneously).

The true test will be when the Retina Macbook pro gets released next month.
If it gets the same $100 cut that the Air got, and the same relative battery improvement from Haswell from last year's model... you could see the 13" rMBP have about 9-10 hours battery life.

So yea, for the same buck as a 2013 i7/8 air, it is almost certain the rMBP 13" will be faster, have better graphics (iris), retina screen, multiple ports, a newer design, AND THE SAME BATTERY LIFE FOR MED-HIGH TASKS.

Yea... Then if you Air owners bragging about "performance" are still happy with your purchase of Air and upgrade to i7... then you made the right choice. If you sign, and feel disheartened because the Retina is SOOO much more awesome, you just couldn't hold on to waiting... then your lost. Only time will tell.

One thing for sure, i5 users whether 4/8gb can lean back knowing they will definitely have superior battery life regardless, and more importantly paid $200-$300 less than people who got the Retina.

As I have said before the only scenario where it made sense in my eyes, is where students are concerned - they get student discounts and benefits from the back to school promotion, and most that are going fresh to college can't hold out for a rMBP. That makes sense to get the i7 Air.

For other performance users, waiting was obviously a bankable choice.

No more bickering in this thread. Waste enough time trying to convince no one of nothing :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.