Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Hi everybody, I have a small problem.

I tried restoring my iphone to ios 7 beta 4 instead of downgrading and then upgrading, and now my phone is stuck on the activation error. I have tried putting it in DFU and restoring, but it isn't working.

Does anybody know anything I can do to fix this?

I have an iPhone 5.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
get a dev account (should be very cheap for the King of Rolex :p ) or DFU and restore to official firmware for the populace.

djvidi

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
Hi everybody, I have a small problem.

I tried restoring my iphone to ios 7 beta 4 instead of downgrading and then upgrading, and now my phone is stuck on the activation error. I have tried putting it in DFU and restoring, but it isn't working.

Does anybody know anything I can do to fix this?

I have an iPhone 5.

If your not part of the developer program you will need to restore to iOS 6.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
get a dev account (should be very cheap for the King of Rolex :p ) or DFU and restore to official firmware for the populace.

see that's the thing though, I downloaded the IPSW for 6.1.4 and I keep selecting it and it says "you are not eligible for the current build number"

djvidi

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
see that's the thing though, I downloaded the IPSW for 6.1.4 and I keep selecting it and it says "you are not eligible for the current build number"

Have you downloaded the correct version for the model of phone you have. I'd recheck and confirm the version you have as the process you are following to downgrade is correct.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

You prob downloaded the wrong version. Make sure is the one for your phone.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Are you a registered iPhone developer? Not just enrolled but registered and paid your $99 your fee. If not then you must restore back to 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 depending on your device. Hopefully you have a backup saved on iTunes or in iCloud from iOS 6 and not iOS 7. Otherwise, you won't get any of your information back.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Have you downloaded the correct version for the model of phone you have. I'd recheck and confirm the version you have as the process you are following to downgrade is correct.

okay, it appeared I had the right one but I am currently redownloading the correct IPSW just to be safe. I really hope this does it.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Okay, I definitely have the right one. I have iOS 6.1.4 for GSM (I have AT&T). and I put my phone into DFU, it shows up in iTunes as recovery, and when I try to restore (by using the option button, and selecting the ipsw) it says this iPhone isn't eligible for this build number.

----------

If you have any issues DFU + Restore as NEW.

That is what I am doing. I am considering taking it into the Apple store and saying it is stuck in DFU and won't restore to iOS 6.1.4

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Okay, I definitely have the right one. I have iOS 6.1.4 for GSM (I have AT&T). and I put my phone into DFU, it shows up in iTunes as recovery, and when I try to restore (by using the option button, and selecting the ipsw) it says this iPhone isn't eligible for this build number.

----------

That is what I am doing. I am considering taking it into the Apple store and saying it is stuck in DFU and won't restore to iOS 6.1.4

Each iPhone has a different 6.1 so make sure you are downloading the specific one for the model specific. IMO just let iTunes download it for you instead of an outside link

djvidi

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013

----------

Done a quick search and only other option is an out of date version of itunes could be causing the problem.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
Make sure your host file hasn't been edited (may have been if you have ever jail broken your phone or used tiny umbrella to edit stuff)

You may have to use TinyUmbrella to force the software back onto your phone if you are 100% sure it's the right version for your iPhone 5.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Is there any 3rd party software I can use for restoring an iPhone that is in DFU?

I am not interested in the back up atm, just in getting my phone to work.

----------

Make sure your host file hasn't been edited (may have been if you have ever jail broken your phone or used tiny umbrella to edit stuff)

You may have to use TinyUmbrella to force the software back onto your phone if you are 100% sure it's the right version for your iPhone 5.

How would I use TinyUmbrella to do that?

and this phone has never been jailbroken.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

----------

Don't use the option + restore method. Try just plugging in the iPhone in DFU mode and single click restore. iTunes should download the correct ipsw bundle for your phone and install it. Since you mentioned the activation error I'm assuming you had iOS 7 beta 4 but never got past the activation screen. In that case, if you take it to an Apple store even in DFU mode it's visually different from DFU mode in iOS 6 so there might be a chance that they refuse to help you because they don't official perform support for iOS 7 yet. Also, before restoring, I suggest you download the latest version of iTunes and install it.

----------

I have tried that, I have tried just plugging it in and hitting restore. sadly, that is not working :(
Can you post a screenshot of your iPhone tab in iTunes when you plug it in? You should blur sensitive info like the serial though before posting.

----------

Is there any 3rd party software I can use for restoring an iPhone that is in DFU?

I am not interested in the back up atm, just in getting my phone to work.

----------

How would I use TinyUmbrella to do that?

and this phone has never been jailbroken.

Even if you personally never used TinyUmbrella or jailbroke your phone there is still a chance that another user on the computer might have. Just to be sure, you should check your Host file to get that possibility out of the way.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Don't use the option + restore method. Try just plugging in the iPhone in DFU mode and single click restore. iTunes should download the correct ipsw bundle for your phone and install it. Since you mentioned the activation error I'm assuming you had iOS 7 beta 4 but never got past the activation screen. In that case, if you take it to an Apple store even in DFU mode it's visually different from DFU mode in iOS 6 so there might be a chance that they refuse to help you because they don't official perform support for iOS 7 yet. Also, before restoring, I suggest you download the latest version of iTunes and install it.

----------

Can you post a screenshot of your iPhone tab in iTunes when you plug it in? You should blur sensitive info like the serial though before posting.

Here's a screenshot of my iphone tab
avodw9.png

and here's a screenshot of my error message
20f9ppc.png

----------

Even if you personally never used TinyUmbrella or jailbroke your phone there is still a chance that another user on the computer might have. Just to be sure, you should check your Host file to get that possibility out of the way.

how would I do this and what should I be doing?

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

----------

Follow the steps in this video to get access to your host file. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw55UBv79X8
Typically you shouldn't have any entries except for maybe a local host entry. If I'm not mistaken tiny umbrella will add an entry with the Apple website name in it.

kingoftherolex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2012
Resolved

Thanks to everybody that participated in this thread, I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

In the end it turned out my host files were the problem and I got it sorted. Once again, thanks everybody! :)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

----------

don't click option+restore, just left click restore ONCE and let iTunes download the ipsw.

Follow the steps in this video to get access to your host file. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw55UBv79X8
Typically you shouldn't have any entries except for maybe a local host entry. If I'm not mistaken tiny umbrella will add an entry with the Apple website name in it.
hosts files have nothing to do with this simple problem.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
don't click option+restore, just left click restore ONCE and let iTunes download the ipsw.

hosts files have nothing to do with this simple problem.
As the OP mentioned in the post above, his issue was related to the Host file.

----------

Thanks to everybody that participated in this thread, I really appreciate all the help you guys gave me.

In the end it turned out my host files were the problem and I got it sorted. Once again, thanks everybody! :)
Cheers!

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am having a similar issue, maybe someone here can shed some light on it for me. I am a registered developer, I have my UDID registered for my iPhone 5 and successfully used iOS 7 Beta's 1-3.

While using Beta 4 (a couple of days in), my phone "unactivated" I guess is the best way to put it. The screen turned black, and I saw the apple screen in the middle of typing a message (which happened to me quite a few times with the beta's). When it came back on, it had an activation error. I followed all the instructions, but could not get my phone working. I was leaving for a trip to Napa and had no time to deal with it properly.

Eventually, I was able to get it back to 6.1.4 using DFU mode and the IPSW for 6.1.4

Now, when I try to reload the Beta, I get error 4027. Anyone have any advice on overcoming this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.