Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Guys,

My 2013 Air i5/8GB RAM/512 SSD became HOT for the first time at the bottom - thanks to my installation of mackeeper and running internet security threat scan etc on it

Has anyone else experienced this disaster?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why do you have that installed? It doesn't do much good and usually does more harm. I suggest removing it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Guys,

My 2013 Air i5/8GB RAM/512 SSD became HOT for the first time at the bottom - thanks to my installation of mackeeper and running internet security threat scan etc on it

Has anyone else experienced this disaster?

I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
I highly recommend you completely uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Interesting and oddly enough, i have seen your same lines repeatedly copy-pasted across multiple replies on anyone who has dared to install mackeeper on their mac's....i have uninstalled & deleted it forever from my mac though as i cannot have a heated AIR!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Interesting and oddly enough, i have seen your same lines repeatedly copy-pasted across multiple replies on anyone who has dared to install mackeeper on their mac's....i have uninstalled & deleted it forever from my mac though as i cannot have a heated AIR!
CGJstudios has been one of the most technically astute contributors to this forum (and others). You should heed his advice. And my advice is to purge your system of that malware which is obviously not doing your "Haswell" any good and sounds like harm.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

It would be daft to type the same answer every time slightly differently, possibly making mistakes, wouldn't it? And wasteful as well.

Fact is that installing this software is a bad idea, as you saw for yourself, and the answer is quite appropriate every single time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does the advice extend to OnyX or is that a worthy app? I have that installed on my MBA.
OnyX has a much better reputation than the other apps usually mentioned, but it is still not needed to keep a Mac running well. It does make some functions more convenient, especially when performing specific tasks. You do not need to perform routine maintenance of any kind on OS X, and you don't need any third-party app to keep a Mac running well.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Why do people install these applications in the first place?

I bought my Mac in 2011, it hasn't been rebuilt, I use it every single day and it is as fast now as it was back then - and I don't even run antivirus software, let alone MacKeeper!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I bought my Mac in 2011, it hasn't been rebuilt, I use it every single day and it is as fast now as it was back then - and I don't even run antivirus software, let alone MacKeeper!

It's fast not despite the fact that you don't run antivirus software and MacKeeper, but because you don't.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
i believe part of it is a carryover from Windows mentality, where such apps were more useful and needed. One of my primary motivators to move from Windows to OS X was I was tired of spending so much time and system resources to maintain and protect the system. With OS X, I can focus on using the computer for what I need a computer for, and I don't have to run any maintenance, app removal or malware protection apps. It's a far more productive experience for me.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

GGJstudios has an arsenal of well researched tips saved on his computer... and yes, he posts them a lot. He does this because the same questions are asked a lot. It is a good service to the MR audience.

GGJstudios: Do you use Text Expander, Alfred, or some other snip-it program to manage your posts?

/Jim

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

It comes up often enough that it doesn't make much sense to re-write the same information over and over.

While some problems may be unique and require an individual answer, the only answer to MacKeeper questions is don't keep it on your Mac.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
GGJstudios has an arsenal of well researched tips saved on his computer... and yes, he posts them a lot. He does this because the same questions are asked a lot. It is a good service to the MR audience.

GGJstudios: Do you use Text Expander, Alfred, or some other snip-it program to manage your posts?

/Jim

Well what i am going to write may not impress GGJStudios but here we go:

The reason for installing so many apps is : Genuine interest in productivity and making sure how i can complete tasks in the shortest, most efficient frame of time.

This list may serve as a Golden Ornaments to have for some :):):):)

I have the following softwares installed on my Haswell Air: And my little 1 liner review on each

1. Onyx --> love it --> no issues
2. Xtrafinder--> may get rid of - no specific purpose so far
3. Totalfinder --> may get rid of - no specific purpose so far
4. Pathfinder --> good app
5. Little Snitch --> important and you know why :)
6. Hazel--> needs to configure more to use it
7. Alfred --> still trying to find if its better than quicksilver
8. Adium--> good app
9. BetterTouchTool --> have to configure
10. Adobe Suite --> lol good
11. CCleaner --> not sure if i am gonna use it
12. ClamXav--> time will tell
13. Calibre --> not sure
14. CoconutBattery --> for the heck of battery check
15. Divvy --> useless so far
16. Dragon Dictate --> very good, needs more time to be spent on it
17. Final Cut Pro --> lol
18. Flux --> nice
19. Evernote --> u know it
20. Geekbench --> occasional benchmarking
21. Launchbar --> looks good
22. MenuTabPro for Facebook --> A MUST for fb junkie
23. lock me now --> nice little app
24. Meteeorologist --> not sure
25. Permanent Eraser- --> not sure
26. MplayerX --> good one
27. Resolute Arena --> lol not sure what it does
28. Skitch --> ok ok
29. Sparrow --> NO, I am still LOOKING FOR THE BEST MAIL Software for mac
30. Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery --> not sure how it works
31. VMWare Fusion --> good for occasional win 7
32. Wunderlist --> disappointing
33. Quicksilver --> good one
34. Dropbox --> ok

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use Typinator on the Mac, but as I'm making more and more posts from my iPad Mini, I'm using the built-in functionality for custom keyboard shortcuts, which sync with my iPhone.
The reason for installing so many apps is : Genuine interest in productivity and making sure how i can complete tasks in the shortest, most efficient frame of time.

11. CCleaner --> not sure if i am gonna use it

14. CoconutBattery --> for the heck of battery check

29. Sparrow --> NO, I am still LOOKING FOR THE BEST MAIL Software for mac

34. Dropbox --> ok

Like MacKeeper, CCleaner isn't necessary and can cause problems in the hands of some users.

Be aware that coconutBattery has had some issues with accuracy. I prefer iStat Pro or iStat Menus.

What are you looking for in a mail app that Apple Mail doesn't accomplish?

I find Dropbox to be extremely helpful. A few others you might want to look at are Copy.com and SkyDrive. I use CloudOn to edit Microsoft Office documents in Dropbox from my iOS devices.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
It's fast not despite the fact that you don't run antivirus software and MacKeeper, but because you don't.

My post was mainly aimed at the people who think that MacKeeper will speed up their Mac, but yes, a very valid point. OS X is not Windows - and people have to realise that.

i believe part of it is a carryover from Windows mentality, where such apps were more useful and needed. One of my primary motivators to move from Windows to OS X was I was tired of spending so much time and system resources to maintain and protect the system. With OS X, I can focus on using the computer for what I need a computer for, and I don't have to run any maintenance, app removal or malware protection apps. It's a far more productive experience for me.

Absolutely spot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.