Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Granty HD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I have resently purchased my Apple TV and have gone through the process of converting all my DVD's to the correct format for Apple TV and storing these on my external HDD. I have used itunes to store the foot print and have built up a libary of almost 300 films and 280GB of data. However since reaching this limit I have dragged the copied films into itunes and am not able to drop them into the libary, meaning i have about another 7 films I have copied (to check I had done the same as before) which I am unable to view via my apple TV...

My only assumption is that there is a limit within itunes to the amount it can show case??? Does anyone else know of this limitation?? I am using itunes 8.0.2 which is the latest version..

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hmm..... I dont think there is a limit. There are some here with 500 movies if I remember correctly. If it is like the music I don't think there is a real limit. Maybe performance hits but not a limit. I could be wrong thou.

What bitrate are you ripping your movies at if you don't mind me asking? I have just over 100 ripped already and I am closing in on 350gigs.

Granty HD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Hi Rhett, I am converting to 680x480 mpeg4 for apple tv, the films vary in size from about 1gig to 2gigs, as I have found that anything over 2gig seems to also get rejected when I drop it in to itunes..? I didn't think there was a limit but I am a little stumped as to what to try...?

Any ideas

Granty Hd:confused:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hi Rhett, I am converting to 680x480 mpeg4 for apple tv, the films vary in size from about 1gig to 2gigs, as I have found that anything over 2gig seems to also get rejected when I drop it in to itunes..? I didn't think there was a limit but I am a little stumped as to what to try...?

Any ideas

Granty Hd:confused:

That is weird. Are you adding to the library via the add to library or are you dragging and dropping?

I know you can have file sizes larger then 2 gigs. I have a few that are 6+ gigs. Although I have not dragged and dropped them in thou. If that is the case I wonder if that is what is happening if you are adding them in this way.

albarran9

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
are you properly tagging your movies? I'd double check the ones that you said could not go into iTunes. I have had a couple that I didn't tag right with MetaX and they either didn't go into iTunes or were put under the wrong thing(i.e. podcast or music video). I have come to notice that if the video type is not set for movies (under MetaX), then iTunes will not accept it. Hope this help :D

Granty HD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks Rhett & Albarren,

I will go and try both suggestions, much appreciated and I will let you know how I get on...

G

Granty HD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Hey Guys,

Adding the flims via the libary instead of dragging and dropping worked!! Woo hoo....

Thanks again, much appreciated

Granty HD

Tbiafore

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
I am around 400 movies and I am noticing that some of the images I have for the movies are not loading and it just shows that placeholder "ticket" image. Is there a way to make all the images load? Its getting annoying!

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
I am about 600+ movies and everything works here! I have notice that some movies don't load on either a conversion error. I re-convert it and it works! I have all my movies in 1080p so size doesn't matter! I started with 3D movies as I am getting a new 3D Tv but so far works perfect

----------

I am around 400 movies and I am noticing that some of the images I have for the movies are not loading and it just shows that placeholder "ticket" image. Is there a way to make all the images load? Its getting annoying!

nothing you can do. I think the AppleTv doesn't have enough space happens to me all the time

----------

are you properly tagging your movies? I'd double check the ones that you said could not go into iTunes. I have had a couple that I didn't tag right with MetaX and they either didn't go into iTunes or were put under the wrong thing(i.e. podcast or music video). I have come to notice that if the video type is not set for movies (under MetaX), then iTunes will not accept it. Hope this help :D

i use iFlicks works a lot better for me and super easy!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
There is a corruption in your iTunes database. Delete all the movies and reload them. Had this problem early on. This solved it. Has not happened again.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
There is a corruption in your iTunes database. Delete all the movies and reload them. Had this problem early on. This solved it. Has not happened again.

Happened to me also. I just deleted the affected movies from iTunes, ran them through iFlicks again which took care of the problem and been great since.

As for limits to iTunes? They may exist but I've yet to hit them at approx 2k movies (took 12 months to convert my DVDs years ago on first intel Mac mini) and since then I only go for digital purchases. Can't be stuffed ripping anymore.

Total iTunes library of movies, tv shows and music approaching 6Tb, so, if there's a limit, it's beyond that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.