Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petition to change iPhone Sub forums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
It's seems to me and I speak for some users that the iPhone sub forum should be revised for easier reading. In my opinion, it seems that the iPhone forum has too much clutter, I'll let others determine if that's a fact or not

So I propose that we add these carrier sub forums and to also add an iPhone General discussion Sub forum.
  • iPhone General Discussion
  • AT&T
  • Verizon
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • International Carriers

And I also propose to remove the "iPhone Launch Meetups" sub forum, it's not all that active until the imminent launch of a new iphone and just takes up space. That's my opinion so it's generally up to the community determine it's fate

If these new sub forums happens to come to life. users can/will:

• Reduce the amount of redundant threads that ask the same annoying questions on a day by day basis.. lol thats a big one!:D
  • Discuss carrier billing, problems, solutions in a more detailed way with less confusion
  • Increased solutions/detailed-information to a users problem/Allowing a user to narrowly seek a solution/information to his or her problem

So to make this as democratic as possible, there will be a poll option to vote for the proposed Changes or to leave them be. The poll will be open for a week, depending on the results of this poll, I feel as though the Administrators and Moderators should implement the new sub forms as it's owed to the whole community

*Note* Users have the option to vote for what they want, you have the options to make multiple choices and I ask to please not troll the poll. For whatever you vote for, your identity will be made public and I ask the moderators to take the appropriate actions to keep this petition as fair and professional as possible!

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you are having one forum for every other country in the world I do not see which each US carrier gets a forum on their own. I'd lump all carriers into one subforum and be done.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
If you are having one forum for every other country in the world I do not see which each US carrier gets a forum on their own. I'd lump all carriers into one subforum and be done.

So is it possible to make a "carriers" sub forum, many if the topics posted in the iPhone section completely concern carriers not so much the iPhone itself. I for one support this idea and would like to see it implemented.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
So is it possible to make a "carriers" sub forum, many if the topics posted in the iPhone section completely concern carriers not so much the iPhone itself. I for one support this idea and would like to see it implemented.

thanks for the support, please vote in the poll when you get a chance

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Forum bloat vs user-friendliness is always something we consider in these cases. We try to strike a balance that gives the best overall result.

After discussing it, we've decided to add a [Carrier] prefix. This makes it possible for anyone to search by prefix.

As to the issue of individual carriers, members can include the name of the carrier in the thread title, so it's immediately apparent when browsing threads.

Lists specific to a certain carrier can be generated easily, by searching for that keyword combined with the [Carrier] prefix.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Macrumors Petition to Change iPhone Sub forums

Forum bloat vs user-friendliness is always something we consider in these cases. We try to strike a balance that gives the best overall result.

After discussing it, we've decided to add a [Carrier] prefix. This makes it possible for anyone to search by prefix.

As to the issue of individual carriers, members can include the name of the carrier in the thread title, so it's immediately apparent when browsing threads.

Lists specific to a certain carrier can be generated easily, by searching for that keyword combined with the [Carrier] prefix.

This does nothing about the bloat and clutter, users are already putting carrier names in the thread titles

The thing is.. 2 out of 10 people use the prefix, most users don't even no it's there or could careless about it, I'm going to be blunt and say it seems like you guys want to be lazy and moderate the extra subfourms, whatever discussion you mods had should had took place in this thread

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This does nothing about the bloat and clutter, users are already putting carrier names in the thread titles

The thing is.. 2 out of 10 people use the prefix, most users don't even no it's there or could careless about it, I'm going to be blunt and say it seems like you guys want to be lazy and moderate the extra subfourms, whatever discussion you mods had should had took place in this thread

I will be just as blunt and say that anyone who thinks the moderators on this forum are lazy clearly has not walked in their shoes :)

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004

Since the prefix was created only yesterday, I think it's a bit too soon to say how many people use it. ;)

At the end of the day, if it's not used, it just wasn't an important enough issue to enough of the members.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I will be just as blunt and say that anyone who thinks the moderators on this forum are lazy clearly has not walked in their shoes :)

I'm not saying when it comes to maintaining this forum that they are lazy... I was rightfully and wrongfully banned/warned quite a few times... That being said.. It's to be expected for them to be hesitant about this.. It is extra work for them

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to be blunt and say it seems like you guys want to be lazy and moderate the extra subfourms, whatever discussion you mods had should had took place in this thread

I'm sorry but I take offense to being called lazy. The moderation team puts in countless hours to maintain and manage a large site with over 800,000 registered users. Just because we came up with a decision that is counter to your ideas does not mean we are lazy.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm sorry but I take offense to being called lazy. The moderation team puts in countless hours to maintain and manage a large site with over 800,000 registered users. Just because we came up with a decision that is counter to your ideas does not mean we are lazy.

The forum leaders love to quote this 800,000 registered users. It is a meaningless number as maybe 1% of them are active posters.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'm going to be blunt and say it seems like you guys want to be lazy

How much did you pay last year towards the salaries of the staff and the site's running costs? How much work have you put into supporting and maintaining this site and its caretakers apart from running your mouth?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
If that number is accurate, yes it does have more meaning.

That number is not far from the truth, and the actual numbers give some idea of how much there is to do. Modding threads is after all just one aspect of running a site; lots of other things need to happen in the background. Members don't see most of these things, but they certainly notice them if they're not getting taken care of.

A few examples:

June 10th - 14880 new posts in 858 new threads
June 11th - 11863 new posts in 1024 new threads
June 13th - 8096 new posts in 643 new threads

July 29th - 7239 new posts in 499 new threads

August 6th - 6153 new posts in 462 new threads
August 7th - 5849 new posts in 470 new threads

Things will go up again in September after the summer. Here are a few days in September last year:

Sept 13th - 14102 new posts in 1208 new threads
Sept 20th - 25165 new posts in 1476 new threads
Sept 21st - 25756 new posts in 1736 new threads

So even at the lower end of the scale, you can imagine how much work 5849 new posts can generate. ;)

As far as the number of registered members, the number does mean something, and that's why it's quoted when this sort of thing comes up. Keeping the forums running smoothly is for the members who mostly read, too - not just for the ones who post.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Since the prefix was created only yesterday, I think it's a bit too soon to say how many people use it. ;)

At the end of the day, if it's not used, it just wasn't an important enough issue to enough of the members.

I appreciate what you say here, but two and a bit weeks on and hardly anyone is using the Carrier prefix. It is annoying, because when visiting the iPhone forum, I don't want to see whether T-Mobile or AT&T or Deutsche Telekom are having a big sale, or have improved their contracts. I want to talk about the iPhone.

Just to illustrate my point, I've attached a screenshot from today showing only a portion of the first page. 9 out of 26 topics are about carriers. That's over a third of the discussions. The vast majority of these also don't use the prefix, making it very hard to filter them out.

I just think the idea of a Carriers sub-forum should be revisited.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 13.47.37.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 13.47.37.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 290

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Just a quick question, would it be beneficial to report threads to the mods that don't have the Carrier prefix that should, or don't they deal with issues like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.