Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I know this is just a photoshopped Mac Pro but I thought it would be cool to look at a Mac mini in the same format - as I'd imagine that is the route Apple is going to take.

Attachments

• mac_mini.jpg
    mac_mini.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,179

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Great, so now we have also an ashtray. Smokers gonna love it

Ashtray for consumer level. Trashcan if you need to go Pro

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
That looks cool, everyone stop calling it weird stuff thats one of apples best designs whether you like it or not :apple:

uniq

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2013
Looks a bit silly imo. I'll be surprised if it has been redesigned and if it has then I think the time capsule/airport extreme design is much more likely contender.

The Mac Pro requires a custom mobo afaik, fine for an lower margin more expensive premium product like the Mac Pro but I don't see it in something like the mini tbh.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
The round concept doesn't quite work that way. the components would be ultra specialized in a model like this. It would lack any thermal core(a major reason for the new mac pro design). The mac pro's components fit in the new pro because they're sitting vertically. Your concept would likely result in a larger mac mini.

koulmj

Suspended
Mar 18, 2013
I know this is just a photoshopped Mac Pro but I thought it would be cool to look at a Mac mini in the same format - as I'd imagine that is the route Apple is going to take.

I'd buy one if it didn't come with the integrated 5000 Intel graphics, hell if i could get a current mini with a 650m or 660 processor found in a Mac Book Pro 15in i would be sold on it even if it cost 1199...

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
The round concept doesn't quite work that way. the components would be ultra specialized in a model like this. It would lack any thermal core(a major reason for the new mac pro design). The mac pro's components fit in the new pro because they're sitting vertically. Your concept would likely result in a larger mac mini.

Like you say, its doable with a slightly larger Mini. And there is some recent precedence for products getting larger, like the new AirPort Extreme.

Let's say this Mini Concept is 4" tall, with a shorter (~3") thermal core. On one side of the core we have RAM laid vertically and a PCI-E SSD. SoDIMMs are about 2.66" in length, and they'd be stacked like most SoDIMM layouts so there would be room next to them for the SSD. On another side of the core there's the CPU with Iris Pro 5200, so no need for discrete GPU. The third side could back against the integrated PSU. The same fan as the Pro could sit on top and run at a lower RPM and the core would provide heat dissipation far greater than the current Mini. It would be about 65% larger in volume than the current Mini, with a smaller footprint...I'd buy one in a second.

One could also reason that the Mac Pro, being a halo product, would have its design language trickle down to the rest of the lineups. Maybe not in the same year, but it would be cool to see in the next year or so. :)

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Very nice. Compact and easy to transport. On flights or road trips you can sit on it to ease the discomfort from sitting for long periods.

rileys4

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Another idea, instead of the short ring-like one in the picture, could be to make the new Mac Mini a scaled-down/silver version of the Mac Pro. Obviously with lesser specs, but it'd be nice if they added a dedicated graphics card. Also, mimicking the Pro's design, the unified thermal core could really help improve performance.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think the chance they drop dedicated graphics on the iMac is higher than that Apple will add it again to the Mini. Everything will be SOC in the future. Face it. Even the XBOX 1 and PS4 run on socs nowadays, but those have a bias towards GPU power instead of CPU power. Guess the PS4 will be my next OSX running XBMC/Game mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.