Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Which is why I recommend having more than one backup of your data. I actually swap between 2 Time Machine drives once a week, so in worst case, I only lose a few days of stuff if the TM drive fails.

Where non sensitive data grows but does not change, photos, it would be good to hand out copies to family who live elsewhere. You're then covered for fire and they think you're being nice.

As it stands I've had to restore from TM twice and had no issues. Of course both drives I'm using for TM are both less than 2 years old.

I've done time machine restores and they have worked well from good drives.

I would like to think that drive age has a lot to do with the 'quality of life' of the hardware. Several bad runs of hard disks models has completely cured me of that thinking. Anybody remember the 5.25" IDE Bigfoot drives? I think those had the most reliable expiration date of any drive.

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Very frustrating. I did extremely thorough tests on all the drives and they all seem fine.

But TM is worse than glacial. It can just sit and stall doing nothing for an hour at a time.

I likely ought to go back to my other theory that the Barracudas and my RAID enclosure combo is problematic (as MacSales warned but only when I received my merchandise).

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Very frustrating. I did extremely thorough tests on all the drives and they all seem fine.

But TM is worse than glacial. It can just sit and stall doing nothing for an hour at a time.

I likely ought to go back to my other theory that the Barracudas and my RAID enclosure combo is problematic (as MacSales warned but only when I received my merchandise).

Sounds like a hardware problem with the RAID or drives. That would be what I would concentrate on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.