Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
This build, ignoring the normal "Safari is snappier" jokes, is ridiculously fast. I don't know what they've done under the hood, but damn they've done a good job of whatever they've done.

I agree - it's ridiculously fast!

iBooks is buggy though. It took me to the French store and then wouldn't let me change to the UK store.

Edit: Now I have a combination store. I either get FREE or GRATIS underneath free books.

----------

Anyone know if it works in the UK yet or is it still US only?

US-only.

Daguerratype

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
How is IMAP better than pop3 anyway?

Edit: I mean functionally. I can read the Wikipedia article.

IMAP keeps items in sync across multiple devices. Read it on your phone, it gets marked as read on your desktop. Move a message to a folder, and that's reflected across all your devices.

POP3 creates a new copy on each devices that needs to be managed separately. It's effectively useless if you actually want to manage your email across multiple devices.

b-f

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
Luxembourg
There won't be (or at least it would be massively unlikely)

The Microsoft Outlook.com, hotmail, live mail service does not offer imap and that is the problem. Apple could go out of their way to add the proprietary Microsoft delta sync protocol hotmail uses but it would be a lot of effort and have licensing considerations with little benefit for them.

Thank you!

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

Depends what your needs are.

What are the Benefits of IMAP?

Since you can view just the header information without downloading the entire message, you can delete large messages without wasting time for downloading them. Also, because the messages remain on the server, you can access your mail from multiple locations at the same time and ensure that your messages are always available for you. And, since the messages remain on the server, if your computer crashes you don't have to worry about losing your messages. IMAP is generally faster and more reliable, especially with certain email clients such as Microsoft Outlook.

What are the Benefits of POP3?

Since all of your messages are downloaded immediately, after you check your mail at your computer, you do not need to actually be connected to the Internet to read your email. Also, because the messages are downloaded to your computer you do not need to worry about accruing disk usage charges because the messages do not stay on the servers. Just make sure your email client is set to delete email messages from the server after downloading them, or else all your emails will sit there, taking up space, until you use Webmail or an IMAP client to delete them!

http://faq.he.net/index.php/IMAP_vs_POP3

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
IMAP keeps items in sync across multiple devices. Read it on your phone, it gets marked as read on your desktop. Move a message to a folder, and that's reflected across all your devices.

POP3 creates a new copy on each devices that needs to be managed separately. It's effectively useless if you actually want to manage your email across multiple devices.

I didn't know that.

Depends what your needs are.

What are the Benefits of IMAP?

Since you can view just the header information without downloading the entire message, you can delete large messages without wasting time for downloading them. Also, because the messages remain on the server, you can access your mail from multiple locations at the same time and ensure that your messages are always available for you. And, since the messages remain on the server, if your computer crashes you don't have to worry about losing your messages. IMAP is generally faster and more reliable, especially with certain email clients such as Microsoft Outlook.

What are the Benefits of POP3?

Since all of your messages are downloaded immediately, after you check your mail at your computer, you do not need to actually be connected to the Internet to read your email. Also, because the messages are downloaded to your computer you do not need to worry about accruing disk usage charges because the messages do not stay on the servers. Just make sure your email client is set to delete email messages from the server after downloading them, or else all your emails will sit there, taking up space, until you use Webmail or an IMAP client to delete them!

http://faq.he.net/index.php/IMAP_vs_POP3

Excellent link, thank you.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
GIF files play in quicklook again!

mountain.jpg

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Here are the changes I noticed so far:

• iBooks is here for the first time in the beta release cycle
  • Supports full screen mode
  • Scrolling in books is from left to right, so no scroll down available (or at least I couldn't find how)
  • iCloud Sync integrated
  • Build number is 13A538g
  • iPhoto got updated also (that's strange since iPhoto is not a part of the OS)
  • iTunes got updated with support for iTunes Radio (in the US only)
  • Mail.app starts faster
  • Safari seems faster
  • Safari got an option to allow auto fill of passwords even in sites that prevent it

I have posted a lot of screenshots of iBooks in my site.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3) is basically nothing more than a delivery mechanism. It is an old, obsolete protocol that copies email from the mailbox to your device so it can be read offline. It was devised at a time when most people used dial-up internet connections and read their email on one computer.

There are two basic POP mail server configurations, one to leave the messages on the server, and one to delete the messages after they are downloaded. Neither is ideal.

If you configure the POP server to leave messages on the server and have three devices connect to that mail server, all three devices will download their own copies of the same messages; and marking a message read or deleting it on one device will have no impact on the other two devices. So you drown in emails you've already read.

If you configure the POP server to delete messages from the server after they've been delivered (the default), each device will have only have the messages that were available when it connected. So you have to search the mail client on each computer or device to find that one important message.

IMAP connects to the mail server and manages messages dynamically. Because it's the same data store, a message read on your iPhone is also marked read on your Mac or iPad. When you delete a message in Apple Mail, it's deleted from the server so it goes away on your iPad, iPhone, etc. at the same time.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Arrrgh, I knew they were gonna do this.

They uglified iBooks. There's no page-flipping animation, no texture, no life. I'm really starting to hate this new flat trend. Flat, in many cases, seems to translate to "bland and lifeless."

whitehawk.mac

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Mail search not working

Since beta 1 Mail search/filtering is broken for me. I can type anything into the search box, but the search results never display. However Spotlight can find my mails.
I have already deleted all my accounts and mail settings from the Library, tried rebuild, but nothing seems to fix this.
The issue remained after installing beta 5.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
Arrrgh, I knew they were gonna do this.

They uglified iBooks. There's no page-flipping animation, no texture, no life. I'm really starting to hate this new flat trend. Flat, in many cases, seems to translate to "bland and lifeless."

i agree. i hate the flat craze so much. i like old notes and calendar

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Since beta 1 Mail search/filtering is broken for me. I can type anything into the search box, but the search results never display. However Spotlight can find my mails.
I have already deleted all my accounts and mail settings from the Library, tried rebuild, but nothing seems to fix this.

Worked just fine for me since DP1

Daguerratype

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Does Photoshop CS6 work in DP 5?

I haven't had any problems with Photoshop in any Mavericks build. After Effects has never worked, but I think that's on Adobe to release a version that's compatible with the new OpenGL/OpenCL features of Mavericks.

tanousjm

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009

Did you try turning Spotlight off and then on to force a reindex? Also, are you by chance running Mavericks on a separate volume and is Spotlight configured to index that volume? In other words, I know Spotlight is finding Mail, but I'm not sure if it's finding your new mail since Mavericks install or looking at the old Mail DB on your ML install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.