Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I went under "About This Mac" and It says Memory "2 GB 667 MHz DR SDRAM"
Then, clicked "more info.." and showed the following.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

Then under "memory" it showed..

Memory Slots:

ECC: Disabled

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
HD and memory are two different animals. Consider the HD your filing cabinet where you store things long-term and memory as your desktop where your current work is stored.

On About This Mac, if you look at the Storage section (I'm working from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, yours may be different) you can get an idea what your HD size and free space are.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Alternatively you could open the Terminal.app and type in then hit enter key df -h to get a human readable output of the disk space free and the size of the disk(s) in the system.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
This is in Snow Leopard, it shouldn't be too dissimilar from Mountain Lion, I hope.

What I do is open Finder and look in the left hand column to see My iMac under Devices. (If yours doesn't show Devices, you can set it to show in Preferences.)

I click on it and it shows all my hard drives, internal & external. I right click on the Macintosh HDD icon and choose Get Info, then a window pops up with total HDD space, amount used, amount available.

If your HDD icon shows on your Desktop, you can right click on that icon to Get Info too.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 10.47.17 PM.JPG
    Screen shot 2013-08-07 at 10.47.17 PM.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 73

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
This is in Snow Leopard, it shouldn't be too dissimilar from Mountain Lion, I hope.

What I do is open Finder and look in the left hand column to see My iMac under Devices. (If yours doesn't show Devices, you can set it to show in Preferences.)

I click on it and it shows all my hard drives, internal & external. I right click on the Macintosh HDD icon and choose Get Info, then a window pops up with total HDD space, amount used, amount available.

If your HDD icon shows on your Desktop, you can right click on that icon to Get Info too.

This machine is using OS 10.5.8. What is right click ? I do not have mouse on this MacBook...

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Thank You

Thank you I was able to do it now... I just went "Go", "Computer", then select the HD icon, and then "get Info" :)

I wonder why it does not show under "about this Mac" tho... make things difficult.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
go to "about this mac" then "more info" very simple

you mean like I did before I asked my OP ? I copied and pasted what I saw it as you can see. It shows RAM memory. But Where is the HD memory information under "more info" ?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
you mean like I did before I asked my OP ? I copied and pasted what I saw it as you can see. It shows RAM memory. But Where is the HD memory information under "more info" ?

Hi Bluebird3,

If you click on About This Mac/More Info, there is a list of clickable things in the left hand column. See attached (which is only a partial view btw, so in yours you'll also see available capacity, etc.) screenshot where I clicked on Serial-ATA.

By the way, are you absolutely certain there is no right click option for your touch pad, maybe in System Prefs or something? I used to have a 2004 PowerBook and I'm pretty sure it had it. If yours can't be enabled, you can use a keyboard shortcut to right click by holding down the OptionCorrection: CONTROL key and then clicking.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-08 at 9.34.36 AM.JPG
    Screen shot 2013-08-08 at 9.34.36 AM.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Hi Bluebird3,

If you click on About This Mac/More Info, there is a list of clickable things in the left hand column. See attached (which is only a partial view btw, so in yours you'll also see available capacity, etc.) screenshot where I clicked on Serial-ATA.

By the way, are you absolutely certain there is no right click option for your touch pad, maybe in System Prefs or something? I used to have a 2004 PowerBook and I'm pretty sure it had it. If yours can't be enabled, you can use a keyboard shortcut to right click by holding down the Option key and then clicking.

Thank you kindly, I was able to go to the Serial - ATA Device Tree section. Ok, I went to System Preference and clicked under Trackpad option. I think then checked on "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button". I think this is the right click ?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thank you kindly, I was able to go to the Serial - ATA Device Tree section. Ok, I went to System Preference and clicked under Trackpad option. I think then checked on "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button". I think this is the right click ?

Yes :), unnecessarily confusing, I think most users think in terms of mouse right & left clicks rather than primary and secondary, but this setting will allow you to right click now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.