Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Still dont have luck....

in getting a DS1513+ on the price range. Seems more evident to me the others routes I was considering....:(

:):apple:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
How about the Synology DS1812+ instead to future-proof the setup with three more bays? Sounds like your NAS would be pretty full right from the start, and with the 8-bay, you can add the other three drives later on when the need arises.

The Synology NAS devices have what's called "Synology Hybrid RAID", which is similar to Drobo's BeyondRAID.

Also keep in mind that the Plus-models of both the 5- and 8-bay devices do link aggregation to double (and even quadruple on the DS1813+) the transfer speeds via the two Ethernet ports on your Mac Pro and two on the NAS, but you need a router/switch that supports the 802.3ad standard. The Cisco SG200-08 and Netgear ProSafe GS108T would be two of those switches.

Last edited:

Jcook5259

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
Can I remove the fan on the lacie little big disk 1 TB without overheating and destroying my ssd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.