Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage.png
Music video company Vevo is developing an app for the Apple TV, according to a report from AdAge. The app will show a 24/7 music video channel with ads made specifically for television rather than for streaming Internet video.
Vevo launched Vevo TV this March as an alternative way to watch and discover music videos on its platform. Previously, users had to search for videos. Vevo's "Vintage" program plays songs from the '80s, '90s and '00s.

Vevo TV -- a linear music video channel -- appears better suited for the "lean back" experience of watching television, as opposed to mobile viewing. Vevo had nearly 62 million unique U.S. visitors in May but only 4.2 million watched on mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), according to comScore.
Vevo has an existing iOS app [iPhone, iPad], and, if it launches an Apple TV app, would join other recently launched apps including HBO Go and WatchESPN. Apple is also rumored to be coming close to launching a Time Warner Cable app for the Apple TV.

Apple worked with a number of third-party content providers recently to launch new channels for the Apple TV. HBO used an internal development team to make its app, presumably using an unpublished development kit from Apple.

Historically, the Apple TV has taken a backseat to the iPad and the iPhone with the company referring to the Apple TV as a "hobby project," though Apple is rumored to be exploring new product lines that could eventually include an Apple television set.

At the D11 conference in May, Apple CEO Tim Cook reiterated that television continues to be an "area of great interest" for Apple and that the company has a "grand vision" in place.

Update: According to AllThingsD, the Vevo Apple TV app is slated for release later this month.

Article Link: Vevo Working on Apple TV App for 24/7 Music Video Channel [Update: Coming This Month]

m2nal

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Awesome, love the way vevo setup their website streaming.....expect the App to have similar quality when it comes to user experience.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not very fond of AppleTV....

but seems nice a VEVO addition. I think the Apple TV will remain crippled until Apple signaled clearly their intentions in the TV arena. Ending the rumor mill in the process....:D

:):apple:

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm excited about all the new apps coming to the Apple TV, but hopefully the 99% of us who don't have Time Warner Cable will be able to easily hide the app. Or better yet, it won't show up unless the Apple TV sees that you're pulling a TWC IP address.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I made a YouTube channel called "VevoOfficialMusicVid" once and put a couple of random things on it, and YouTube silently killed it after a few days. Totally banned. I don't really blame them, but that's strange.

----------

lol this is going to be better than MTV.

So much better. Glad that someone went in and took their position.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ads are a killer

Only somewhat useful...if the videos are without ads. I think I can pretty much find everything on YouTube that is on Vevo. And there are only so many music videos I can watch before going brain dead.

Aero app for aTV is what I am looking for. Aero combined with iTunes (or Netflix if you prefer) would give some oomph to the system. Only thing I would need to figure out are certain sports. But I think there are solutions for that problem if you did deep enough.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No thanks, its bad enough that they slap adverts all over their youtube pages.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The supposed "grand vision" comment from Cook came from the leading question, "is there a grand vision?". So the term was put in his mouth. People referring to this as Cook says 'X' are misleading.

What was he supposed to say, 'no' ?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Well, I already know where it definitely will NOT launch this month. ;):rolleyes:

PS: If you need a tip: The country starts with a "G" and ends with "ermany".

Glassed Silver:mac

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Wow, a 24/7 music video channel

What a great idea! I wonder why nobody has tried this before.

Hmmm, but why call it "Vevo"? They should call it "Music TV", or perhaps "MTV" for short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.