Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE
Long story short, my fiancee does not have a computer, sans her iPad, so I was thinking of giving her my early 2011 MacBook Pro, and finally using my Apple gift cards I got for Christmas on a rMBP. My current MBP handles LR4 and CS6 perfectly fine as my post processing workflow. The main question I have is this: Will I notice a big difference from my MBP display I have now to the retina? And is it really worth the upgrade?

Again, the main use will be for photography, with occassionally surfing the internet or reading email (but I mainly do both of those on my iPhone).

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
You will definitely notice a difference, if you havent seen one yet, I guess thats a good thing. Once people tend to use it for a while, they struggle to go back to regular screens. Whether or not its actually "worth" the upgrade is all personal preference. I love my 15" rMBP, not only because of the screen but also the form factor and the dGPU. I dont know how something so powerful can be so thin!

As of now, I dont think an upgrade from a 2011 MBP is necessary. Does your fiancee need and/or has expressed an interest in a Macbook? Or is that going to be your excuse to justify buying a new one :p If anything I would wait at least until they release the new models later this year to make any decision.

ThePiratkapten

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
If you can wait with the purchase, do so. It is rumored that Apple will upgrade the rMBPs soon with new processors. If you absolutely need a new computer now, which you don't appear to do, buy now, but if not, I think it's worth waiting. Even if the upgrade is small and you don't think you will need it, it's always best to have the best machine possible (probably for the same price, you just have to wait a little longer).

As for the screen, I do not own a retina MacBook Pro, but I have looked at them in some stores, side-by-side with the regular screens, and the difference is significant! One side benefit is that you will be able to fit more on the screen. The side panels can show the same amount of detail but be smaller, which means that the pictures will be bigger.

I hope this helped you a bit.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I certainly don't need a new computer now because of the fact that my current MBP works perfectly fine for what I use it for. To save some cash, I was planning on purchasing refurbished from Apple. My fiancee definitely wants my MBP especially since she would really like to store all her photos, music, movies and TV shows that are on her iPhone and iPad to a computer. Plus, she has a point and shoot digital camera and doesn't have anywhere to dump the pictures she takes on vacations. I admittedly have been really wanting a rMBP since they were released, but I didn't know how much of a difference the screen would make when I work primarily in Lightroom and Photoshop.

I know Apple has limited quantities of refurbished stock, so that is why I wanted to pull the trigger on a new laptop relatively soon.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The rMBP certainly has a great screen in terms of sharpness etc, but it's really too small to use for serious Photo work. Would personally go for another option like Air (if you need portability) or Mini along with an Eizo or NEC screen. Or an iMac is a great option as well.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I certainly don't need a new computer now because of the fact that my current MBP works perfectly fine for what I use it for. To save some cash, I was planning on purchasing refurbished from Apple. My fiancee definitely wants my MBP especially since she would really like to store all her photos, music, movies and TV shows that are on her iPhone and iPad to a computer. Plus, she has a point and shoot digital camera and doesn't have anywhere to dump the pictures she takes on vacations. I admittedly have been really wanting a rMBP since they were released, but I didn't know how much of a difference the screen would make when I work primarily in Lightroom and Photoshop.

I know Apple has limited quantities of refurbished stock, so that is why I wanted to pull the trigger on a new laptop relatively soon.

Speaking as one who's had an rMBP for a year and uses CS6 and LR4 constantly... don't get one, period, OP.

I can't go into how much of a disappointment this thing has been, especially for the price I paid to get some reasonable upgrades to it. Text looks nice obviously, and retina-supporting photo apps look pretty and all. But as for the issues (and these are not uncommon).

- Pixel doubling looks terrrrrrible, and the vast majority of the app world -- browsers in particular -- do not support or use retina-resolution images.

- The computer runs insanely hot when doing simple LR functions, which both slows down the editing process and risks burns. For real.

- GHOSTING. HOLY CRAP THE GHOSTING ON THIS THING IS RIDICULOUS.

- Did I mention it's ridiculously expensive? Which is fine. But you should be getting your ridiculous money's worth. Has very much not been the case for me.

As for what you should do, if you intend to primarily use it for photography -- buy an iMac, and use the money you save to buy your fiancee a new computer. You get to keep your "old" one (2011? C'mon -- that's fine!), and she gets the added special feeling of knowing that you care about her enough to buy her a new computer (I say MBAir) instead of just passing her your leftovers.

But seriously -- whatever you do, an RMBP is NOT WORTH IT AT ALL. I hate this thing.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Sorry you have issues, but:

1) Pixel doubling is not an issue. All my applications support retina display, and it is a rarity to run into one that doesn't. On webpages you run into some logos that can be a less than perfect, but personally I don't look at logos when I am on a page.

2) I don't know what you call insanely hot, but mine never gets hot enough to burn. That said, it is notebook, not a laptop. Health services have been saying for years, literally, that if you appreciate your ability to reproduce, do not put a laptop in your lap, its not healthy. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

3) Ghosting? BS. Should have gotten it exchanged for a proper one. Mine's from the first series, and does not have any ghosting whatsoever (samsung display). Yes, some do, and Apple will exchange it for a new one if it does.

4) Which apple is not? You know that when you buy into this brand. If you want a cheap computer, get a $400 dell with windows on it. It's not like the iMac you recommend is cheap. In fact, if I configure the iMac for my use, it comes in more expensive than the rMPB and that is without the required memory upgrade.

I am sorry you are disappointed with your purchase, but your comments not exactly balanced and objective. Obviously this is caused by your disappointment, but if you can't be objective, don't put out advice.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Sorry you have issues, but:

1) Pixel doubling is not an issue. All my applications support retina display, and it is a rarity to run into one that doesn't. On webpages you run into some logos that can be a less than perfect, but personally I don't look at logos when I am on a page.

2) I don't know what you call insanely hot, but mine never gets hot enough to burn. That said, it is notebook, not a laptop. Health services have been saying for years, literally, that if you appreciate your ability to reproduce, do not put a laptop in your lap, its not healthy. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

3) Ghosting? BS. Should have gotten it exchanged for a proper one. Mine's from the first series, and does not have any ghosting whatsoever (samsung display). Yes, some do, and Apple will exchange it for a new one if it does.

4) Which apple is not? You know that when you buy into this brand. If you want a cheap computer, get a $400 dell with windows on it. It's not like the iMac you recommend is cheap. In fact, if I configure the iMac for my use, it comes in more expensive than the rMPB and that is without the required memory upgrade.

I am sorry you are disappointed with your purchase, but your comments not exactly balanced and objective. Obviously this is caused by your disappointment, but if you can't be objective, don't put out advice.

LOL. I'll bet you a million dollars I've been with Apple longer than you have. Sorry you don't like what I have to say, but I _am_ being objective.

jbgh

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Speaking as one who's had an rMBP for a year and uses CS6 and LR4 constantly... don't get one, period, OP.

I can't go into how much of a disappointment this thing has been, especially for the price I paid to get some reasonable upgrades to it. Text looks nice obviously, and retina-supporting photo apps look pretty and all. But as for the issues (and these are not uncommon).

- Pixel doubling looks terrrrrrible, and the vast majority of the app world -- browsers in particular -- do not support or use retina-resolution images.

- The computer runs insanely hot when doing simple LR functions, which both slows down the editing process and risks burns. For real.

- Did I mention it's ridiculously expensive? Which is fine. But you should be getting your ridiculous money's worth. Has very much not been the case for me.

As for what you should do, if you intend to primarily use it for photography -- buy an iMac, and use the money you save to buy your fiancee a new computer. You get to keep your "old" one (2011? C'mon -- that's fine!), and she gets the added special feeling of knowing that you care about her enough to buy her a new computer (I say MBAir) instead of just passing her your leftovers.

But seriously -- whatever you do, an RMBP is NOT WORTH IT AT ALL. I hate this thing.

I'm sorry but I just HAD to respond to this..

1. Almost no mainstream apps are pixel doubled any more, except images in a lot of websites. Your little "I'll bet you a million dollars I've been with Apple longer than you have" makes me think you're using a lot of old Classic apps!

2. You should check out some of the latest laptops from Dell, they are made of plastic so they won't conduct heat as well as an aluminium laptop, might be more up your alley. Or try putting pants on when you use your laptop.

3. If your MacBook has screen ghosting you should have swapped it, your bad I guess.

4. Again, check out Dell's website. I bet you could find something for about 200 bucks..

Finally let me say I couldn't be happier with my rMBP, I don't have screen ghosting, it doesn't get too hot and I for one think it was worth the money (but wait for a Haswell upgrade in the next couple of months if you are going to buy a new one).

Beware though, if you use a rMBP for too long you won't be able to look at another computer screen again. I would say seeing this screen for the first time was a similar feeling to when I first got glasses!

Cheers!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

I've had my rMBP for about a month with constant CS6 / Aperture use. No issues whatsoever and absolutely love it. No overheating to speak of, certainly no ghosting (LG display even), pixel doubling not an issue. Almost everything looks absolutely fabulous. Too bad you've had problems, but the OP will be just fine picking one up.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I've had my rMBP for about a month with constant CS6 / Aperture use. No issues whatsoever and absolutely love it. No overheating to speak of, certainly no ghosting (LG display even), pixel doubling not an issue. Almost everything looks absolutely fabulous. Too bad you've had problems, but the OP will be just fine picking one up.
Maybe LG are getting better results now but I've got a first batch rMBP with LG display that I need to call Apple about as the image retention is getting really bad (by the time I've typed this I can minimise Safari and will still be able to read the URL in the address bar).

It does run hot, but I kinda expected that and pixel doubling is pretty rare unless you are using apps that haven't been updated in some time (website graphics excluded).

On the whole it's a great laptop but does have a few minor issues that can be easily sorted.

nburwell

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 6, 2008
DE

Unfortunately, I went against your post and purchased a rMBP. It really sucks about all the issues that you are encountering. I did extensive work this weekend in LR4 and CS6 and my rMBP took it like a champ. I have no ghosting anywhere on the monitor, and my rMBP didn't get too hot when I was working in both programs. It may have helped that I purchased refurbished, but if you just recently purchased your rMBP, I would definitely have it looked it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.