Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apoph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Hi there.
Basically, the title says all.
I have question - how to change MAC address in Mac OS X permanently?
I've tried using "sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:03:04:05",
but changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. So, is there a way to change it once and for all ?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The original address is hard encoded in the hardware. Any changes will be temporary and there's no way to do it permanently short of munging around with the hardware.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I suppose you could put the desired MAC address in one of the launchd config files somehow, that way it would be changed at boot time.

Caveat, I haven't learned launchd, only have been familiar with rc.boot and rc.local type config files, so maybe this wouldn't work.

Apple sure doesn't seem to like supporting MAC address changes, you can't do this on Airport base stations either.

Apoph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Yeah, i need an ifconfig line to automatically change my MAC on boot. But how this can be done?

Drewbie

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
can you put that terminal command into an apple script?

if you can put it in apple script you should be able to add that script to login items, which would run it upon logging into the system...

tcassio

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I believe that you can't permantly chage any MAC address on any piece of hardware that has a nic interface. The system was designed this way to eliminate the possibility of 2 pieces of equipment from having the same MAC address.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I believe that you can't permantly chage any MAC address on any piece of hardware that has a nic interface. The system was designed this way to eliminate the possibility of 2 pieces of equipment from having the same MAC address.

Lots of interfaces allow changing the MAC.

Apple is a bit more strict here though. Why, not entirely sure.

I understand what you're saying, MACs are supposed to be fixed but somehow over time they've become editable.

Last edited:

Apoph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I found these instructions. Will they work and is it safe to use them?

Follow these steps to create a script that sets the MAC Address each time the computer restarts:

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
2. Type: cd /Library
3. Press Return.
4. Type: mkdir StartupItems
5. Press Return. (If you encounter an error, continue to step 6.)
6. Type: cd StartupItems
7. Press Return.
8. Type: mkdir MACADD
9. Press Return.
10. Type: cd MACADD
11. Press Return.
12. Type: pico MACADD
13. Press Return.
14. In the pico editor, paste in the following text.

Begin copying below this line.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# Configure a network interface MAC Address setting
##
#
# This script will set the MAC Address setting for the specified interface(s)
#
# The name of the interface (ex. en0) must be edited to match the interface
# to which the MACADD setting should be applied
#
##

StartService ()
{
ConsoleMessage "Configuring MACADD"

### uncomment lines and change the value following 'MACADD' as appropriate mac address

if [ "${MACADD:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

# /sbin/ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
# /sbin/ifconfig en1 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

fi

}

StopService ()
{
return 0
}

RestartService ()
{
return 0
}

RunService "$1"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End copying above this line.

15. Uncomment the /sbin/ifconfig line(s) to set the MACADD for a particular interface.

Note: Removing the number sign (#) from the beginning of a line uncomments it. Typically, en0 is the interface name for the Built-in Ethernet port and en1 is interface name for the AirPort Card. This is not always the case, though. To confirm that a network port is associated with a particular interface name, open the Network Utility (/Applications/Utilities/), and click the Info tab.

16. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (press Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (press Control-X).

17. Type: chmod 755 MACADD

18. Press Return.

19. Type: pico StartupParameters.plist

20. Press Return.

21. In the pico editor paste in the following text.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Description</key>
<string>Can set MACADD</string>
<key>OrderPreference</key>
<string>None</string>
<key>Provides</key>
<array>
<string>MACADD</string>
</array>
<key>Requires</key>
<array>
<string>Network Configuration</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

22. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).
23. Type: chmod 755 StartupParameters.plist
24. Press Return.
25. Type: sudo pico /etc/hostconfig
26. When prompted, enter your password.
27. Press Return.
28. In the pico editor, add this line at the bottom:

MACADD=-YES-

29. Save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

When you restart the computer, MACADD is set for the interface that you specified.

Notes

1. The MACADD will be reset after changing a Location, waking the computer from sleep, or changing the state of the network interface. To use the script again without having to restart, enter the following command:

sudo SystemStarter start MACADD

2. If you experience any issues or wish to not set MACADD during startup, you can turn off the new script by changing the MACADD line in /etc/hostconfig to:

MACADD=-NO-

Sorry, for a long post.

Reactions: AnonMac50

JimMacFan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Hi there.
Basically, the title says all.
I have question - how to change MAC address in Mac OS X permanently?
I've tried using "sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:03:04:05",
but changing the MAC address in this way is not permanent: after a reboot, it will revert to the MAC address physically stored in the card. So, is there a way to change it once and for all ?

Why change MAC address? Up to no good?

Apoph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Well some ISP bind internet connection to a certain MAC address. And i have few computers i need to connect sometimes.
And the question was not "why do i need to change MAC address".

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Which ISP do you have that tells you to change the MAC address of a NIC?

I mean even the IPS's know that a MAC address is hard coded and unique to each NIC.

I've never heard of an ISP binding a connection to a SINGLE PC.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Which ISP do you have that tells you to change the MAC address of a NIC?

I mean even the IPS's know that a MAC address is hard coded and unique to each NIC.

I've never heard of an ISP binding a connection to a SINGLE PC.

Mine does. And it's one of the biggest ISPs out there.

Having said that, I think the OP might look into buying a router if this is indeed the issue.

Mastrix56

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Thanks for the Info and a question

Apoph,

What types of parameters need changing in the StartupParameters.plist?

I didnt change anything in that file and its not working for me.

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Having said that, I think the OP might look into buying a router if this is indeed the issue.
This is, by far, the best way to go about doing this.

Get a router with an alterable MAC address, hook it up, profit.

Edit: my apologies... I didn't realize how old this thread was prior to the reply above mine.

Last edited:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
At the Panera Bread closest to my home (where they call them St. Louis Bread Co), they have a 30 minute limit on their wifi, even during non-peak times. I've changed my MAC address to get around this limitation.

Mastrix56

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Mobility...

This is, by far, the best way to go about doing this.

Get a router with an alterable MAC address, hook it up, profit.

I totally agree with the router, its hard to find one that doesn't let you change the MAC. Comcast will many times install to a single PC and use the MAC of the PC NIC and limit you on the network to only that MAC address. Not always, its weird. Then you want to add devices and a wifi router and you have to spoof the address.

I think a lot of people want to do it at the laptop layer so the MAC is protected whereever they roam. Scandalous reasons? Better security, the right to anonymity, I dont know but the script is very useful and appreciated

CodeJynx

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
I tried this and it doesn't work. Do you have another solution?

I found these instructions. Will they work and is it safe to use them?

Follow these steps to create a script that sets the MAC Address each time the computer restarts:

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
2. Type: cd /Library
3. Press Return.
4. Type: mkdir StartupItems
5. Press Return. (If you encounter an error, continue to step 6.)
6. Type: cd StartupItems
7. Press Return.
8. Type: mkdir MACADD
9. Press Return.
10. Type: cd MACADD
11. Press Return.
12. Type: pico MACADD
13. Press Return.
14. In the pico editor, paste in the following text.

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# Configure a network interface MAC Address setting
##
#
# This script will set the MAC Address setting for the specified interface(s)
#
# The name of the interface (ex. en0) must be edited to match the interface
# to which the MACADD setting should be applied
#
##

StartService ()
{
ConsoleMessage "Configuring MACADD"

### uncomment lines and change the value following 'MACADD' as appropriate mac address

if [ "${MACADD:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

# /sbin/ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
# /sbin/ifconfig en1 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

fi

}

StopService ()
{
return 0
}

RestartService ()
{
return 0
}

RunService "$1"

15. Uncomment the /sbin/ifconfig line(s) to set the MACADD for a particular interface.

Note: Removing the number sign (#) from the beginning of a line uncomments it. Typically, en0 is the interface name for the Built-in Ethernet port and en1 is interface name for the AirPort Card. This is not always the case, though. To confirm that a network port is associated with a particular interface name, open the Network Utility (/Applications/Utilities/), and click the Info tab.

16. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (press Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (press Control-X).

17. Type: chmod 755 MACADD

18. Press Return.

19. Type: pico StartupParameters.plist

20. Press Return.

21. In the pico editor paste in the following text.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Description</key>
<string>Can set MACADD</string>
<key>OrderPreference</key>
<string>None</string>
<key>Provides</key>
<array>
<string>MACADD</string>
</array>
<key>Requires</key>
<array>
<string>Network Configuration</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

22. When you have finished customizing the file, save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).
23. Type: chmod 755 StartupParameters.plist
24. Press Return.
25. Type: sudo pico /etc/hostconfig
26. When prompted, enter your password.
27. Press Return.
28. In the pico editor, add this line at the bottom:

MACADD=-YES-

29. Save it (Control-O), press Return, and exit pico (Control-X).

When you restart the computer, MACADD is set for the interface that you specified.

Notes

1. The MACADD will be reset after changing a Location, waking the computer from sleep, or changing the state of the network interface. To use the script again without having to restart, enter the following command:

sudo SystemStarter start MACADD

2. If you experience any issues or wish to not set MACADD during startup, you can turn off the new script by changing the MACADD line in /etc/hostconfig to:

MACADD=-NO-

Sorry, for a long post.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
BINGO !!!!

What possible legitimate purpose could there be for changing a MAC address?

MAC addresses are unique to each card, like the fingerprint on your fingers.

You can change your MAC address for nefarious reasons you can also change it to protect yourself from nefarious people.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
the MAC address of intel NICs can be changed permanently with "ethtool" under linux. I used this command line utility to change the PCI IDs of intel NICs, so they'll be recognized in macOS without the need to patch KEXTs. I never used it to manipulate the MAC address though. this should work:

again: intel NICs only AFAIK

and to be clear: this changes the MAC address in the EEPROM of the card, so this is really permanent!

to set the MAC address to 00:07:e9:01:02:03

# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x0 value 0x00
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x1 value 0x07
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x2 value 0xe9
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x3 value 0x01
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x4 value 0x02
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x5 value 0x03

DEVID of course should be the PCI ID of your NIC

and why not use, let's say pfSense, as your gateway? there's an option to spoof the MAC address on the wan interface...

Last edited:
Reactions: yurc

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
the MAC address of intel NICs can be changed permanently with "ethtool" under linux. I used this command line utility to change the PCI IDs of intel NICs, so they'll be recognized in macOS without the need to patch KEXTs. I never used it to manipulate the MAC address though. this should work:

again: intel NICs only AFAIK

and to be clear: this changes the MAC address in the EEPROM of the card, so this is really permanent!

to set the MAC address to 00:07:e9:01:02:03

# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x1 value 0x07
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x2 value 0xe9
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x3 value 0x01
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x4 value 0x02
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x5 value 0x03

DEVID of course should be the PCI ID of your NIC

and why not use, let's say pfSense, as your gateway? there's an option to spoof the MAC address on the wan interface...

Recently i had done experiment from this thread, using 10GbE cards with dual ports. I had broken backplane board from my mid 2010 mac pro.

My game plan is repurpose my previous MAC address from those broken backplane board, they have different MAC address each port. My NIC is intel X520-DA2 with dual ports with Intel MAC address, since mac pro have dual ethernet ports with different MAC address, i want assign it to my new intel NIC.

Question : Is possible to apply Intel NIC with dual ports to assign different MAC address individually? Can you assist how looks command to assign MAC address separately each port?

Thanks in advance.

edit : just my guess, is this command possible? i'm using generated random MAC address with apple prefix for example.

Example Port1 → 00:25:00:f0:1f:cd
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x1 value 0x25
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x2 value 0x00
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x3 value 0xf0
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x4 value 0x1f
# ethtool -E eth0 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x5 value 0xcd

Example Port2→ 00:61:71:a5:8d:9e
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x0 value 0x00
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x1 value 0x61
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x2 value 0x71
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x3 value 0xa5
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x4 value 0x8d
# ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xDEVID8086 offset 0x5 value 0x9e

Last edited:

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
ethtool is linux-specific. It doesn't exist on a Mac.

Off course I'm mean on linux, since I'm recently rewrite EEPROM value using ethtool. This time i want rewrite MAC address value, but still not sure how to do that on multiple ports NIC.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I reprogrammed a quad-port card once. it's been some time ago but I'm pretty sure I used "eth1/2/3" for the three other ports...

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
I reprogrammed a quad-port card once. it's been some time ago but I'm pretty sure I used "eth1/2/3" for the three other ports...

All right, i'll visit neighborhood linux machine and pop my card there again. This time i've also bring some fake quad port intel gigabit NIC as guinea pig before trying on my actual 10GbE NIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.