Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
for musicians, artists, designers, medical, architects, students, etc., etc., etc.
Imagine PDF, CAD. Nice!!!
Please Tim, please Sir Jony...

You make some good points here. There are niche markets where this would be useful- especial medical, music production etc.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
for musicians, artists, designers, medical, architects, students, etc., etc., etc.
Yes, for them (us) it would be great, just like the 17" MBP once was. But seeing as Apple nowadays only caters to consumer crybabies who take ultralight over screen real estate every time, I don't see a 13" iPad happening.

dan1000

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
iPad vs Apple Display

How about a replacement for the Apple 27" display, but with touch capabilities and iOS? Just a thought. At $995, Apple's 27" display is overpriced. But with touch and a brain, perhaps not so much.

Maybe the beginnings of an iOS-based Apple television.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Must be a slow rumor day....

I made this a while ago, but I think it's still apposite:

aKpqxDh.gif

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

You beat me to it.... You have pointed out many of the use cases that this would be great with. I'm not sure I agree with "students" unless they are students of "art" or "design" (students generally need portability). Definitely artists, designers, and architects. Let's not forget animators and folks doing scrapbooking or movie editing.

StellarZ

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
AZ

This is the particular use that I could see. If they made a nice solid stand or something. It would be great for these particular situations.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I would love this. For photographers who want to travel light, this would be a dream. The retina's 100% color gamut just can't be matched by the rather poor quality screens in Apple's Airs.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
funny how a lot of you dismiss the idea right away because it's not the way you use the product. what stupidity is that?

a lot of people could use this.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yes, give me that bigger one.

Always wanted a larger one.

think how massive an iPad screen looks like to a young child.

To a tall big guy the iPad is way too small.

I've always wanted a larger one.

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Am I the only who doesn't like that smaller bezel on the iPads?

I know that iOS tries to ignore your finger inputs right on the edge of the display, but it's not perfect. I also think the thicker bezel looks better on the 9.7" iPad.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Maybe all this is just here-say to the rumor that they're going to be making a macbook air with a built in touchscreen. It seemed like 4-5 years ago that was where all the discussion was heading about the future of computers. Maybe the larger iPad is to run the full version of mac os x.

StellarZ

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
AZ
How about a replacement for the Apple 27" display, but with touch capabilities and iOS? Just a thought. At $995, Apple's 27" display is overpriced. But with touch and a brain, perhaps not so much.

Maybe the beginnings of an iOS-based Apple television.

I believe I read that they deemed the angle and positioning of a monitor would be uncomfortable for elongated use. This is also the reason they aren't doing touchscreen laptops.

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
Most nay-sayers don't realize that if Apple manufactures a 12.9 inch ipad it would target small businesses who would want to replace their cash register machines and equipment with a larger ipad (cheaper, more efficient, and sleeker than what they have), and businesses who would benefit from a larger screen. Granted it will not be as portable as some consumers would like it to be. But Apple's decision to move forward with such a project would be to capture untapped markets not restricted to the consumer market. So, yes, it makes sense to produce a larger ipad. And, for those who are worried about the weight or the dimensions of a larger ipad, there is always the mini-ipad. :rolleyes:

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I'd buy it. I bought the iPad shortly after it came out, and one thing I've always wished for is a bigger screen. I use it mainly around the house, so the additional weight wouldn't be a drawback.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Since a lot of iPads are mounted a larger screen could be useful for some and still be as portable as any laptop.

That said I'm waiting on the next Mini :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.