Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today announced a significant update that allows users to import video from the camera roll. Previously, Instagram Video restricted uploads to videos captured within the app, but now users will be able to use the standard iPhone Camera app along with other third party apps to record video that can then be uploaded to the site. The feature will also allow users to upload video taken at any time rather than simply within the moment.

instagramvideoupdate.jpg
Starting today you can upload videos from your phone's media library and share those moments to Instagram regardless of when they were captured. Once you select the video clip you'd like to import, you can trim it down to the exact part you like best. We've also made it so that you can choose how you square-crop your clip so you can keep the action front and center.
Instagram's 4.1 update also includes a new automatic straightening tool, which uses an algorithm to automatically straighten photos taken within the app when the Straighten icon is tapped. The tool also includes a slider that allows users to rotate and adjust all photos, including those imported from the photo library.

Instagram for the iPhone is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Update: Instagram version 4.1 is now available for download.

Article Link: Instagram Updated with Video Imports, Automatic Straightening

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
YES. Absolutely HATED taking video with their app. If I wasn't on wifi with my 4S, then at least half the time it would hang up during the 'processing' stage, and if it did you would lose whatever video you had already taken. Now I can take it with another more reliable app and have it saved BEFORE going into Instagram.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
great updates...

The video upload is A GREAT additional feature for Instagram!

Combine this with being allowed to post 15 seconds worth of video per post, I'm not sure how much longer Vine will be able to stay relevant.

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Is it just me or is this update only for those who have an iPhone 5??? I can't see the update on my iPhone 4S

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Is it just me or is this update only for those who have an iPhone 5??? I can't see the update on my iPhone 4S

It's not live yet in the App Store. I have an iPhone 5 and it's not showing up for me either.

richtervet

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
Import setting

Love this update - does anyone have tips on settings to use for importing video?

So for example, I create a clip on my Mac, what export settings should I be using to load it into Instagram? I've tried MP4/MOV/h.264 all with low file sizes and the app crashes each time I select it. It plays fine in the Camera role but Instagram can't deal with it.

Thanks!

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Am I the only one who doesn't quite like this video feature at all? I'd love to have an option to disable videos from my news altogether.

podblack

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Finally, it's "for real".

Up until today, you could upload pre-recorded video to Instagram, but you had to do a special "hack" exploiting a loophole in the way Instagram handled video files.

Now, you can use any video on your camera roll. Of course, the trick is, getting it on your camera roll.

Richtervet, you'll find my blog post helpful on your dilemma.

http://www.dan-vidal.com/blog/2013/...ports-pre-recorded-video-uploads-dot-dot-dot/

The TL:DR version is -

- Produce your video however you normally do.

- Import it into After Effects and place it on a 640 x 640 composition.

- Do whatever you want to it in AE.

- Render with the following -

MOV file format
H.264 codec
3,500 kbps video bitrate
AAC audio codec at 44.1 kHz mono

Then get it to your camera roll, which I detail one method in my blog post.

Here's some samples:

http://instagram.com/p/cu-CncAgGW/

http://instagram.com/p/cu4qowggM9/

Hope this helps...

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Trying to do the same. No After Effects here. Any other ways to do this? I've tried using Handbrake to no avail.

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Figured out another workaround that doesn't require After Effects. It's not as elegant as podblack's - because you can't scale video so it shows in full widescreen like you can in After Effects - but it does work easily. You'll need iMovie for iOS to make this happen. (A lot cheaper than After Effects, thats for sure!)

1. Get your video on your iOS device's Camera Roll.
2. Open iMovie on your iOS device and start a new project.
3. Import the video from your Camera Roll.
4. Do whatever you want to the video - edit, trim, etc. Just make sure that it is less than 15 sec long.
5. Export the video back to your Camera Roll.
6. In Instagram, choose it from your Camera Roll. There you go!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.