Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. International Trade Commission today ordered an import ban against some Samsung products after finding that the company did infringe on two key Apple patents. The patents include the "Steve Jobs patent" that pertains to touchscreen technology and a patent that detects when a headset is plugged into a device.

Like the import ban that was levied against Apple and later vetoed, Samsung's import ban will take place after a 60-day Presidential review period. It is unlikely that Samsung will get the same presidential intervention, however, as Samsung's patent violations do not involve standard-essential patents. According to AllThingsD, Apple praised the court's decision.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
"With today's decision, the ITC has joined courts around the world in Japan, Korea, Germany, Netherlands and California by standing up for innovation and rejecting Samsung's blatant copying of Apple's products," Apple said. "Protecting real innovation is what the patent system should be about."
This particular Apple vs. Samsung case began back in mid-2011, after Apple asked the ITC to investigate whether the South Korean company had infringed on a number of different patents. In addition to taking their case to the ITC, Samsung and Apple have fought in numerous courtrooms around the world since their dispute began.

The two have a number of other court battles coming in the months ahead, including an upcoming trial in November that will redetermine a portion of the damages that Samsung must pay Apple.

Article Link: ITC Rules in Favor of Apple, Older Samsung Products Facing Ban

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Oooooooh gurl, let me get the popcorn! :D

Edit: Never mind. Quite the bore-fest

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I wonder if this will this also get vetoed...

Not a chance....

.....Samsung's import ban will take place after a 60-day Presidential review period. It is unlikely that Samsung will get the same presidential intervention, however, as Samsung's patent violations do not involve standard-essential patents. According to AllThingsD, Apple praised the court's decision.

With today's decision, the ITC has joined courts around the world in Japan, Korea, Germany, Netherlands and California by standing up for innovation and rejecting Samsung's blatant copying of Apple's products," Apple said. "Protecting real innovation is what the patent system should be about."

Article Link: ITC Rules in Favor of Apple, Older Samsung Products Facing Ban

I must have been under a rock; didn't know about these courtroom 'victories', especially the one in Korea.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
So if this doesn't get vetoed will people say Obama is anti South Korea ? ;)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
No.

Apple doesn't use the shady tactic of using standard essential patents as a weapon.

And by "shady" you mean the fact that Samsung is defending its patents (FRAND or not) which they are entitled to do, right?

There is one and only one guilty party in whole this mess - it's Apple. They started it and they are losing it.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
There thought I'd fix that to match the article.

If they are winning how come Samsung is now making more profits than Apple? Both companies scored exactly one ITC ban on outdated models. That's what Samsung wants - so far all these lawsuits did not prevent them from releasing innovative products and making profits in the process. Apple on the other hand... are not doing as well with iPhone market share dropping to 13% (far behind Samsung)

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
If they are winning how come Samsung is now making more profits than Apple? Both companies scored exactly one ITC ban on outdated models. That's what Samsung wants - so far all these lawsuits did not prevent them from releasing innovative products and making profits in the process. Apple on the other hand... are not doing as well with iPhone market share dropping to 13% (far behind Samsung)

you still drunk with that absurd piece of garbage that people call article? :confused:
pls do a google search my friend...you will find how stupid that article was. im sure plenty of ppl will now post the links...

Zodiac.mj

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
Come on, what did you think, it's not Apple beeing banned, so good bye Samsung products. Noone will veto this one out ;)

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell

I'd love to "not do well" as well as Apple does...

----------

Ha ha well there's kind of a huge difference.

This guy. Samsung's work from home program must pay out pretty well.

Clearly. I had to look at his comment twice to believe my eyes.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Come on, what did you think, it's not Apple beeing banned, so good bye Samsung products. Noone will veto this one out ;)
The ones being banned are so old they aren't even sold anymore.
The issue here is not the products, but the ban itself and the precedence it sets.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Eh the only thing I think about about when I see Samsung is "Make a comeback Sony" Samsung stuff is good and all just so ****** vanilla. No swag

Besides a couple TV's they make, those silver framed ones have swag.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
If they are winning how come Samsung is now making more profits than Apple?

Is this the article -- Strategy Analytics: Strategy Analytics: Samsung Becomes World's Most Profitable Handset Vendor in Q2 2013 -- the one you're talking about?

Did you fail to read the Appleinsider article that thoroughly deconstructed that claim? As Dilger notes in that article:

Strategy Analytics's "division by two" profit "estimates" press release was picked up and uncritically published by a variety of sources, including Juliette Garside of the Guardian UK, David Murphy of PC Mag, Tim Worstall of Forbes, Christopher Harress of London's International Business Times, Don Reisinger of CNET, Ryan Knutson of the Wall Street Journal, Kevin C. Tofel of Gigaom, Zach Epstein of Boy Genius Report, Matt Clinch of CNBC, and a report by BBC News.

We'll add you to the list of individuals who were snookered by that fundamentally flawed analysis. :D

Or were you talking about some other claim? References, please.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Is this the article -- Strategy Analytics: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/strategy-analytics-samsung-becomes-worlds-most-profitable-handset-vendor-in-q2-2013-217059871.html -- the one you're talking about?

Did you fail to read the Appleinsider article that thoroughly deconstructed that claim? As Dilger notes in that article:

We'll add you to the list of individuals who were snookered by that fundamentally flawed analysis. :D

Or were you talking about some other claim? References, please.

Ah I see, so an article that was picked up and reported on by several dozen highly regarded and professional news outlets were ALL wrong simply because one Apple fan website told you so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.