Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OminousFlare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Hi. I just recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my Boot Camp, and the first thing I noticed was the poor resolution that was stuck to 1600x1200 pixels. The Display Adapter used is listed as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." Fortunately, I got this sorted out by choosing "Advanced Settings => List All Modes", and then selecting "2560 by 1440, High Color (16 bit), Default Refresh". Here's where the problem comes in - it's in 16 bit, obviously, and there's no other higher color schemes for me to choose from in the "List All Modes" menu that's 2560x1440 pixels. The only other mode of this resolution is "2560 by 1440, 256 Colors, Default Refresh".

What should I do? Could someone please guide me through the process step-by-step, as the Apple support team was of no help, since they aren't 'familiar' with Windows procedures, despite "Boot Camp" being a Mac-related hardware. And I'm no technical expert, either, so tossing me terms like "update to the X&Y" driver is probably going to confuse me, so please try and explain that to me, thank you.

And by the way, before you ask, I did download the Apple Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033 (all the drivers and stuff) and installed it within Windows.

Thanks for your patience and please get back to me soon.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.