Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth waiting for a refreshed iMac 27''?

• Yes

Votes: 49 67.1%
  • Not Really

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
I am in the market for a base-model iMac 27''. I am leaning more towards the 27'' vs. 21'' for screen real estate. I wont be doing any video / photo editing, but I will be lightly gaming (Starcraft, Borderlands, WoW, COD). Any input on whether waiting for a refreshed iMac will make a big difference, and what configurations would you recommend if not the base iMac 27''? Thanks in advance for your input.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think its in your best interest

We are at least 3 to 4 months away from the release, might as well wait it out unless you desparately need a computer to use right now and don't have one.

I personally am waiting, but I don't have any choice, since my vacation leave doesn't come in effect until late November which is when I plan to purchase my first iMac.

I will also be going with the base model 27 inch based on my needs, Internet, email, office productivity, social networking, watching movies, manage my photo collection, some light video editing, like what I record on a smart phone and so fourth. I want the 27 inch because of the screen real estate, the ability to upgrade the RAM at my leisure, so its future proofing in a sense.

I don't necessarily need the top end, but I do hope in the next revision Apple will at a minimum upgrade the video card with a minimum 1 GB of vRAM. It would be nice to also have a Fusion drive just for the boot performance, launching apps and general task. Using a Windows 7 based desktop right now with an SSD, its kinda hard going back to a spinning drive, even on a very fast computer (CPU, RAM).

Taking into account this a computer that doesn't have much upgradable components, its a significant investment, so if you plan to buy, make sure it comes with the components that you will be satisfied with. I use my systems till they die. I have an Acer laptop going 7 to 8 years so far with Windows 8, it boots sometimes when it feels like it, but its usable, and I have a 5 year old HP which is still going strong which I use as my iTunes machine. Hope to consolidate all the content on both into a single desktop.

I also forgot to mention, in addition to improved Graphics, the next Mac is likely to include features such as faster 802.11 AC wireless, improved PCIe Fusion drive for added performance. So these are some things you might want to add to your consideration.

Last edited:

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
We are at least 3 to 4 months away from the release, might as well wait it out unless you desparately need a computer to use right now and don't have one.

I personally am waiting, but I don't have any choice, since my vacation leave doesn't come in effect until late November which is when I plan to purchase my first iMac.

I will also be going with the base model 27 inch based on my needs, Internet, email, office productivity, social networking, watching movies, manage my photo collection, some light video editing, like what I record on a smart phone and so fourth. I want the 27 inch because of the screen real estate, the ability to upgrade the RAM at my leisure, so its future proofing in a sense.

I don't necessarily need the top end, but I do hope in the next revision Apple will at a minimum upgrade the video card with a minimum 1 GB of vRAM. It would be nice to also have a Fusion drive just for the boot performance, launching apps and general task. Using a Windows 7 based desktop right now with an SSD, its kinda hard going back to a spinning drive, even on a very fast computer (CPU, RAM).

Taking into account this a computer that doesn't have much upgradable components, its a significant investment, so if you plan to buy, make sure it comes with the components that you will be satisfied with. I use my systems till they die. I have an Acer laptop going 7 to 8 years so far with Windows 8, it boots sometimes when it feels like it, but its usable, and I have a 5 year old HP which is still going strong which I use as my iTunes machine. Hope to consolidate all the content on both into a single desktop.

I also forgot to mention, in addition to improved Graphics, the next Mac is likely to include features such as faster 802.11 AC wireless, improved PCIe Fusion drive for added performance. So these are some things you might want to add to your consideration.

Thank you Mr. Dee. I'll take your advice and wait it out. You pretty much hit all the points I was hesitant about.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I second the waiting recommendation and add the cost factor. If you can wait, you'll have two options at release; either buy the new model (which most likely will at the very least be improved on a few fronts) or buy the current model at that time with a decent discount. Win-win IMO (as long as you can wait).

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Do you NEED faster SSD speeds? If yes, wait.

Do you see your Mac using WIFI instead of an ethernet cable a lot? If yes, wait.

Will you notice a 5% CPU performance increase? No.

Do you want to play the latest games on your iMac for years to come? Either way you will end up disappointed so you might as well not wait if this is the case.

Are you one of the roughly 50 people in the world who use thunderbolt and could benefit from faster speeds? If yes, wait.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I'm also waiting in hope that they upgrade the GFX card to at least 1Gig and start using fusion drives as standard.

I use SSD + data drive in my current laptop and desktop computers and will not go backwards.

SSD + data drive (fusion) should be standard, not a BTO option, in all Apple desktops, especially now that they have made it a nightmare to open and upgrade the drives yourself.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm also waiting in hope that they upgrade the GFX card to at least 1Gig and start using fusion drives as standard.

I use SSD + data drive in my current laptop and desktop computers and will not go backwards.

SSD + data drive (fusion) should be standard, not a BTO option, in all Apple desktops, especially now that they have made it a nightmare to open and upgrade the drives yourself.

I fully agree or at least make it cheaper. Paying $250 for 128 GBs for an SSD is ridiculous. Nothing but greediness. even if it was $100, it would be better.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Thank you Mr. Dee. I'll take your advice and wait it out. You pretty much hit all the points I was hesitant about.

There are two points to consider:

- An update is due "soon", probably September/October.
- The expected update won't make a difference for most real-world applications, such as yours.

Unless Apple completely surprises us, you won't actually gain anything besides being able to say you own the latest model for longer by waiting.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
The August/September guess has shifted again? I've lost track a bit.

Well, its my personal assumption, I am just giving a likely window. I personally believe Apple won't be launching anything until the Back to School discounts are over.

Apple is also likely to stagger the releases through out the fall so each product category will have their time in the spotlight.

I suspect new iPhone and iPad 5 (9.7 inch) in mid to late September. Then iPad Mini and MacBook Pro with iMacs launch in late October with likely possibility that they won't ship until late November.

If Apple wants to meet the demand of the Christmas shopping season, they will use certain windows and of course use pre-order to at least grab those who can't wait.

----------

There are two points to consider:

- An update is due "soon", probably September/October.
- The expected update won't make a difference for most real-world applications, such as yours.

Unless Apple completely surprises us, you won't actually gain anything besides being able to say you own the latest model for longer by waiting.

Well, trust me, if I bought todays iMac today and found out 3 months later I could get a better one with slight improvements, I would not be happy. Its not just about greatest and latest, its getting the best bang for your buck. Even if I don't go with the latest who knows, the current generation might become cheaper on the refurb site.

Its not easy siphoning off salary every month saving towards this first purchase. So, I want to get the best value for my money.

I notice a lot of users here like to push this idea, buy it now, buy it now!

This is what I say.

Its not your money, its not your money!

Sometimes you have to develop some self control. I am glad my situation has allowed me to do that. Taking into account this a first gen of a new design, I am sure Apple has made some internal refinements.

Also, I am keeping my fingers crossed Fusion Drive will become standard at current market prices.

aefla

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Well, its my personal assumption, I am just giving a likely window. I personally believe Apple won't be launching anything until the Back to School discounts are over.

Just so you know, it's not unusual for Apple to release new stuff during the Back to School (BTS) sale.

June 8, 2009: new MacBook Pro released (BTS started May 27, 2009)
July 27, 2010: new iMac released, new LED Display released (BTS started May 25, 2010).
July 20, 2011: new Mac mini released (BTS started June 16, 2011)

Apple is also likely to stagger the releases through out the fall so each product category will have their time in the spotlight.

Call me optimistic, but this wouldn't rule out a late-August release, as predicted by Ming-Chi Kuo. :)
Kuo may not always be right, but he seems to have pretty good insight into Apple's supply chain. For example, he correctly predicted in August 2012 that "Apple has demanded full-lamination between the panel and the cover glass."
If not August, then we'll likely have to wait until October for an announcement, along Mavericks, the new Mac Pro, and new iWork apps for Mac and iOS.

I suspect new iPhone and iPad 5 (9.7 inch) in mid to late September. Then iPad Mini and MacBook Pro with iMacs launch in late October with likely possibility that they won't ship until late November.

Why would there be a 1-month wait between announcement and shipment?
In the 2012 release, this was caused by production issues linked to the new screen lamination. Tim Cook said that this delay was a mistake, and that this won't happen again. So the iMac 2013 will likely be available on release, just like the 2010 and 2011 models.

Also, Apple is likely not going to wait for Thunderbolt 2, as Intel only plans to ramp up TB2 production in early 2014.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
Wow thank you guys, I never really though about if the Fusion Drive would become standard (being very optimistic), but that would make me regret buying one now if it was to come out in a few months. All in all I will wait. Thanks for all the replies.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Where's the poll choice for "Get it now if you need it, but be prepared for there not to be an update in a few months when you ask this question again"?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
@aefla

That was then, this is now. Notice everyone was hoping for new MBP Retinas in June and they didn't show up? Also, persons were expecting new iMacs by now. Persons were expecting a new iPads in April to May period.

Things have changed and its obvious. Tim Cooks want big numbers in the fall. Personally, I don't know for what reason and its kinda backfiring on him.

Going back to my point about waiting too, I notice some persons are choosing 2013 refreshed Retinas over the June 2012 release when in fact its just a minor 0.1 Ghz update. Yet, you could even get a cheaper 2012 model.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Received my new 27" a couple of weeks ago and have been using it for hours upon hours everyday. So glad I did not wait!!!! :D

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Hi,
an iMac is an investment for home users and small business. I agree with Mr. Dee and I will wait for Oct-Nov. 2013 timeframe to decide which BTO version fits to my needs ;). However, a fusion drive plus i7 processor might be my choice. VRAM upgrade is too much for me.
A better Wi-Fi speed is always welcome along with a faster fusion drive. Thunderbolt 2 will be a standard spec for 2014 as USB 3.1 is going to double the speed :cool:.
I suppose, APPLE intends to update mostly the processor series in 2013 and they will build a new iMac in early Mar. 2014 :rolleyes:.
Prices will remain at the same levels in 2013....":apple:

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Are you one of the roughly 50 people in the world who use thunderbolt and could benefit from faster speeds? If yes, wait.

The other weekend I was in an apple store. When I was asked what I needed help with I decided not to give the evil answer - asking where the selection of thunderbolt drives was. :)

Well, trust me, if I bought todays iMac today and found out 3 months later I could get a better one with slight improvements, I would not be happy. Its not just about greatest and latest, its getting the best bang for your buck. Even if I don't go with the latest who knows, the current generation might become cheaper on the refurb site.

Its not easy siphoning off salary every month saving towards this first purchase. So, I want to get the best value for my money.

This is what I say.

Sometimes you have to develop some self control. I am glad my situation has allowed me to do that. Taking into account this a first gen of a new design, I am sure Apple has made some internal refinements.

Also, I am keeping my fingers crossed Fusion Drive will become standard at current market prices.

Exactly. I have to rotate my large discretionary purchases between different things so it takes longer than I would like between computers. So when it is the turn of getting a new computer for myself I want the most up-to-date one (even if there is not much difference than last year's model) maxed out as much as reasonable so I do not wind up kicking myself over something 5 or 6 years later.

Do I need spec xyz now? Maybe, maybe not. Will I need it half a decade from now? Who knows.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
First Gen MacBook Pro users

When Apple released the first gen MacBook Pros in February 2006 with the Core Duo processors, a lot of persons bought them, but a lot of those persons didn't realize Apple would be out with Core 2 Duo by October 2006.

Core Duo - 32 bit instruction set
Core 2 Duo - 64 bit instruction set

Now, the early adopters rushed to buy it just to say they have the latest and greatest and had to go through the process of running their old PowerPC apps using Rosetta anyway.

Taking into consideration, if they had just waited, they could have gotten more bang for their buck by waiting for the Core 2 Duo and the increase RAM.

Yes, we might not see major performance with Haswell, but the fact that its 10 to 15% performance boost, the fact is, its an improvement. Besides, its a culmination of things, possibly improved graphics, storage and networking.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

This is what I say.

I'm not here to prematurely separate you from your money. As someone who actively played the waiting game for the better part of a year looking for the 2012s, I'm just here to tell you that the 2012 was worth the wait, and the 2013 won't be. To bring in an awful car analogy, it's like a mid-cycle Honda Civic or something, where the only difference you can see is the year printed on the registration. If you feel inclined to wait anyway, that's up to you. I just don't want you to have high expectations for your payoff for waiting.

The expectation is that the new higher-speed SSD tech they're using in the Air will come to the whole Mac line, including the iMacs. Assuming they do that, that will raise component costs and they'd be unlikely to make Fusion standard.

----------

the imac traffic light in the buyers guide has turned red:eek: :p

Just based on days-since-release, nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.