Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I don't have the app because it's worthless to me. There are reviews all over the internet over the past two days talking about this very thing. I posted a link above that has comments from people who have experienced this.

Set an alarm for two hours from now. Close the app and exit from it by removing it from the task bar. Open another app and let it sit for those two hours and turn on do not disturb as well. See what happens.

Why would you remove it from the task bar. That's just stupid. How do you expect any app other than core apps to do anything if you shut them down completely. You are going out of your way to **** it up by closing it? It's iOS not android, you don't need to micromanage every app to keep your battery from running out.

Set the alarm, press home, carry on using apps. Press the power button to turn the screen off, at specified alarm time the alarm sounds and the notification displays on screen, swipe to snooze. Not difficult at all to use now is it????

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
if the phone is asleep, when the alarm app goes off it doesn't automatically launch the app and take you to the screen you need to be on. You just get a notification.

Same with things like skype. It should have the option to pause what you are doing it jumps straight into skype if someone calls.

I understand that. But read my two posts again. I get absolutely no sound. Not at all. You tell me, do you wake up to an alarm that only pops up a text notification on your lock screen? I don't. I'm usually asleep. With my eyes shut. I'm very sure this app doesn't function at all like an alarm on an iPhone 4S running iOS 7. An alarm makes sounds when the phone is locked. This doesn't.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
After setting the alarm, open multitask then open the program/app you want to use. It started ringing while I was writing this...its not rocket sience is it? you have to tell the unit to multitask...just do not use the home button that turn the alarm off.

Obviously but that makes the apps worthless to many people.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I understand that. But read my two posts again. I get absolutely no sound. Not at all. You tell me, do you wake up to an alarm that only pops up a text notification on your lock screen? I don't. I'm usually asleep. With my eyes shut. I'm very sure this app doesn't function at all like an alarm on an iPhone 4S running iOS 7. An alarm makes sounds when the phone is locked. This doesn't.

Yes I am agreeing with you. iOS7 is fully multitasking. So it will allow apps to take over and open on alarm and ring etc.

Besides although this is a nice interface, I've no idea why anyone needs to buy anything more than the built in one.

When iOS7 comes out I am hoping one of the Radio apps like tune in will put in proper launch and play alarms.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes I am agreeing with you. iOS7 is fully multitasking. So it will allow apps to take over and open on alarm and ring etc.

Besides although this is a nice interface, I've no idea why anyone needs to buy anything more than the built in one.

When iOS7 comes out I am hoping one of the Radio apps like tune in will put in proper launch and play alarms.
Ah I must have totally missed that point.

I still wonder, if iOS 7 allows true multitasking, how come this alarm doesn't sound at all when the screen is locked?

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
instead of free app of the week there should have been the free app of the day, it'd have been much more awesome and would have attracted much more traffic to the store.

dpace32

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
instead of free app of the week there should have been the free app of the day, it'd have been much more awesome and would have attracted much more traffic to the store.

Ton of other GOOD apps recently went free this weekend too:

Fit It!
Flick Golf Extreme!
Camera Studio +

Lot more listed on this Slickdeals post: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100412/apple-itunes-iphone-and-ipad-apps-games-flick-golf-1-doodle-truck-2-free-ghost-ninja-zombie-beatdown-1-kingdom-rush-frontiers-1-rise-alarm-clock

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Like many people have already said, this app requires your phone to be unlocked, screen on and have the app open (not minimized). Also, it requires DND to be off. I thought I would like this app, but it requires too much for it to work. I'm using iOS7 if that makes any difference.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I'm going to download it since it's free, but the alarm app that I love ATM is Wake n' Shake! The best for the deep sleeper like me. :cool:

phowson

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2005
Bought Rise a while back and here's what you need to know

1. Pretty good alarm clock with the caveats about needing to be front and center in order to wake you up.
2. You cannot use the sleep feature (turning on music to go to sleep to that turns off after X minutes) unless you also set an alarm to wake you up. This sucks if you have a day off and want to sleep in but still want to have music while you fall asleep (yes, I know that I could use a different app for that but this is about Rise, not another app)
3. There is no way to set the maximum volume within the app. You can use the progressive alarm but if you don't get to it right away, it is very quickly at max volume. This sucks if you get up before the alarm actually goes off and forget to turn it off before you get in the shower.
4. The camera feature uses the back camera which is kind of odd since most people would have this on a night stand and would be looking at a wall. OTOH, using the front camera might scare people if they actually saw themselves first thing in the morning.

All in all, it's a nice idea, a nice interface, but it's not all that thrilling.

Last edited:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Like many people have already said, this app requires your phone to be unlocked, screen on and have the app open (not minimized). Also, it requires DND to be off. I thought I would like this app, but it requires too much for it to work. I'm using iOS7 if that makes any difference.

There is definitely something odd going on with this app, because this is not my experience at all.

Yes, DND has to be off. This is, perhaps, the biggest mistake with this app.

Otherwise, I've done everything I could think of to try to get it to NOT sound the alarm, including putting it in the back ground, running memory eating apps to push Rise out of background memory, killing directly from the system tray, etc., and yet it still keeps sounding the alarm.

So, I find it quite curious that others report such different behaviors. Clearly, there are bugs in the app that are adversely affecting some users.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I use an app called "Sleep Cycle" which monitors your movements while you sleep and wakes you up in a window of time, when you're at the lightest sleep, rather than a specific time.

It also keeps track of your sleep patterns and records stages of your sleep. I think it's a great alarm clock, but I still default to the iOS alarm for 'emergency' wake-ups.

DaEmOnN

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Why this app, and any other alarm app, doesn't work

There is a very simple reason why everyone is having different experiences with this app. I am developing an app that also has alarm functionality, and it has the same problems that this app has.

The built-in alarm app has some privileges that no app in AppStore can match. Therefore no apps in app store can:

- Play a sound while the phone is muted
- Change the current volume while in background
- Play any sound larger than 30s while in background
- Play any sound in infinite loop while in background
- Display a "Snooze" button in the alert box (like the default app does)
- many more..

You can do pretty much everything once the user opens the app, but the typical user expects that the alarm will go off without leaving the app open. Setting an alarm in those apps is the same as scheduling a local push notification that fires at a certain time, playing a 30s sound.

Unless Apple allows other apps to use the private functions of the built-in alarm, all custom alarm apps are doomed to be shiny, cool-looking replacements that don't work. iOS7 will bring background execution functionality, but I don't believe it will make those kinds of apps functional, as apps probably still won't be allowed to wake up on their own and take over your home screen.

Perhaps Apple can limit the functionality to alarm apps only (like an app can only continue streaming media if it's a radio or VoIP app, and gets rejected otherwise).

judedeshan

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Toronto
Well I've set the alarm, then opened up another application and locked my phone. The alarm still went off, with snooze option from lock screen.

What model of iPhone do you use?

This so happened to me too, I'm using iPhone 5s but resently it stoped happening

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.