Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
"Dear Client"??? Has Apple ever sent any email that said that? Aside from the offer being too good to be true I'd like to think I wouldn't fall for that :eek:

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
and i though that iOS couldn't be hacked, that's it, i'm not going to these small, shady websites anymore.

hello antivirus!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
and i though that iOS couldn't be hacked, that's it, i'm not going to these small, shady websites anymore.

hello antivirus!

It's hard to hack iOS by sending scam emails to Windows users. Ok, these emails are sent blindly, so you could open them on an iPad or iPhone, but the Windows virus that the link tries to put on your Windows PC won't work on iOS, and it won't work on MacOS X either, only on Windows.

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
It's hard to hack iOS by sending scam emails to Windows users. Ok, these emails are sent blindly, so you could open them on an iPad or iPhone, but the Windows virus that the link tries to put on your Windows PC won't work on iOS, and it won't work on MacOS X either, only on Windows.

relieving....:)

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
The title leads me to believe they are emailing customers of the store "Target" but then there is no mention of that in the article.

I think the article has a misleading title ... If I were an executive of Target I think I would be concerned.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Do people really still fall for these?!

There are so many people who have been made to believe that using computers it's like using TVs and who don't even want to hear they have to learn at least the basic how-tos in order to have a relatively safe experience... We all know many.

It's a shame, but they are the weak gazelle and cyber-criminals are the lions. Thanks to their ignorance others live safer. This sad it is.

However I would not make fun a other people's misfortunes. Even when it may have been their fault. Obviously, this does not go for the comment quoted above, but for others who normally laugh at windows users and their neverending problems with trojans etc.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It's a shame, but they are the weak gazelle and cyber-criminals are the lions.

I wouldn't call them "lions". Most of them are just script kiddies (if that sounds insulting, it's meant to be) who buy pre-packaged exploits and have no talent whatsoever. And it's such a bad business, anyone who has any real talent wouldn't be in that scene but find themselves a proper job.

A while ago there was an attack against Macs and it was estimated that it might have gained the attackers a total of $14,000, and some people here were in awe of that enormous amount of money. I looked at the sum and thought they were total losers, because $14,000 for several people's hard work is just nothing. The programmers involved could have made a lot more money by doing some honest work instead.

And then there is the problem that all these people have, and that is that they are involved with criminals. And that isn't good for your health, for your wallet, for your peace of mind.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
I wouldn't call them "lions". Most of them are just script kiddies (if that sounds insulting, it's meant to be) who buy pre-packaged exploits and have no talent whatsoever. And it's such a bad business, anyone who has any real talent wouldn't be in that scene but find themselves a proper job.

You know, when I am watching the type of movies were a group guys are robbing a bank, stealing secrets from an ultra-safe agency.. that type of thing... I always think to myself: It's amazing what some people get to do not to work!

And then there is the problem that all these people have, and that is that they are involved with criminals. And that isn't good for your health, for your wallet, for your peace of mind.

Indeed! There is something in human condition that forces some people to look for trouble no matter what. Strange creatures we are.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
thank god i dont have a big, busy e-mail account and i hardly check my email once in months, but i'm surely gonna be alert about this type of mail.

Cfox

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2017
Alberta
It never ceases to to amaze me that us old, simple minded and gullible old coots ever got to be old, simple minded coots as gullible as we are. You would think, as simple minded as we are, that we would ave been tricked into some deathly trap long before we got to be old and gullible.

Luckily, we have you young, sharp, never-fooled-by-anyone folks to guide us and point out how easy it is to hoodwink us.

BTW: Tha Nigerian Prince thing should pay off any day now...
ROFLMO!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.