Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Sorry about my last post about this game. How do i play this gta 4 on my mac WITHOUT USING PIRATED SOFTWARE SUCH AS TORRENTS?!:D

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
what does pirated software have to do with anything? You can install Windows in a dual boot (aka Bootcamp) and just use Windows... might work ok in Windows in a VM too. I think GTA4 works ok with Wine (like Wineskin or Crossover) as well too, so you wouldn't need Windows.

ugr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Listen. I don't want to use parallels or vm. I'm asking how to play gta 4 on a mac without using parallels or vm, alright?

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
No idea why you are being so rude, but Bootcamp or Parallels are your only option.
It might work in a wrapper, but the 2 options above are really it. End of story.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Wineskin.
It's free and legal.
or Crossover, which is not free, but also legal.

There is also Cider (which the GTA 3, Sims 3, Guild Wars2, Dragon Age games are using), which is a commercial branch of wine, which is not in sale, but depending on where in the world you live it is possible to use those games framework to run GTA 4 legal, if you own the games of course.

In all cases, you will need to buy the PC version of GTA 4.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
No idea why you are being so rude, but Bootcamp or Parallels are your only option.
It might work in a wrapper, but the 2 options above are really it. End of story.

It's probably her time of the month.
But I agree with your solutions. Although Windows 7 runs perfectly on my MacBook Pro and I don't like running virtualization software.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
GTA IV is really terribly optimized to begin with, and barely functional on even high-end PCs, so to further cripple it through virtualization or portion sounds like a very bad idea.

OSXAppleMan

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
what does pirated software have to do with anything? You can install Windows in a dual boot (aka Bootcamp) and just use Windows... might work ok in Windows in a VM too. I think GTA4 works ok with Wine (like Wineskin or Crossover) as well too, so you wouldn't need Windows.

Unfortunately guys, I think it wants you to install Direct X which Mac's cannot do. And only if you got a Windows CD you might be in luck.

Thank You,
OSXMacMan:apple:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
GTA 4 is what Crysis use to be. I think the new high-end iMac with the Nvidia 680MX will run it best. You can try that in a VM. Crysis eventually was playable in a VM as hardware got more powerful.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Unfortunately guys, I think it wants you to install Direct X which Mac's cannot do. And only if you got a Windows CD you might be in luck.

Thank You,
OSXMacMan:apple:

Yes, you can in wine and crossover.

GTA 4 is what Crysis use to be. I think the new high-end iMac with the Nvidia 680MX will run it best. You can try that in a VM. Crysis eventually was playable in a VM as hardware got more powerful.

Not really, Crysis was a technical pretty good game. GTA4 was released not long after and it is pretty much the worst PC port ever made. Even new high end rigs does have problems with, just because it's buggy.
Even with a may times faster machine than recommended specs lists, i do get frame drops from time to time in windows 7.

benlinus121

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Mac

My Mac is too old/underpowered so I'm not going to even try, but I'll point out that Boot Camp is another option that requires no additional software (besides Windows), as it simply partitions the hard drive allowing you to install Windows on the other partition and provides a way to select the boot partition at startup.

Programs like Parallels will have a performance penalty because Mac OS X is still running too, but Boot Camp lets you run just Windows, so GTA IV should be as good as on a PC with the same hardware specs as the Mac.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Not really, Crysis was a technical pretty good game. GTA4 was released not long after and it is pretty much the worst PC port ever made. Even new high end rigs does have problems with, just because it's buggy.
Even with a may times faster machine than recommended specs lists, i do get frame drops from time to time in windows 7.

Is the port from Windows to Mac just a bad port? I was able to get the GTA IV installed on my iMac and everything looks great until the gameplay actually starts. It's beyond choppy and I can't even play the game due to the lag. I'm not too concerned about it but it would be nice to play that game on my iMac when I'm bored. :p

I have an i7 Intel iMac, 16GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. I downloaded Wineskin but am still a bit confused on how to use it or know what it's actually doing.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
No, the port from console to Windows was bad. Trying to run a bad port via emulation is even worse.

So there is really no way it'll run well if it's installed via OSX? I wasn't using Parallels or Bootcamp. Just followed the steps on how to install it (simple) but the game play just doesn't work.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
What did you use?

I'm pretty sure it was a boot leg copy of it since I just opened the .dmg file and dragged it into my Apps once it mounted; I was using Mac OS to run it. Graphics looked outstanding until the actual gameplay started. The loading screens were crystal clear and the menus were very crisp.

The file came from a friend so that is why I'm not too concered if it works or not. It'd be nice to have on here but I still have San Andreas from the app store that I haven't played in ages. :D

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure it was a boot leg copy of it since I just opened the .dmg file and dragged it into my Apps once it mounted; I was using Mac OS to run it. Graphics looked outstanding until the actual gameplay started. The loading screens were crystal clear and the menus were very crisp.

The file came from a friend so that is why I'm not too concered if it works or not. It'd be nice to have on here but I still have San Andreas from the app store that I haven't played in ages. :D

Must have been a cider port.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry about my last post about this game. How do i play this gta 4 on my mac WITHOUT USING PIRATED SOFTWARE SUCH AS TORRENTS?!:D

Like others said, either cider-wrap it or Wineskin it. However doing these means that you lose a lot of performance, if you can even get it working at all.

I know you don't want to BootCamp but it's the best option if you want to run it.

Windows applications don't work on Mac, simple as that. Cider & Wineskin aren't really a solution either, as it takes a lot of patience and time to get it working.

BornAgainPPC

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
The reason people say to get the download from the pirate bay is because people have made their own version for Mac because GTA IV was never released on Mac and that's the way they chose to share it. Just because it is on the pirate bay does not mean is a illegal file.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
The reason people say to get the download from the pirate bay is because people have made their own version for Mac because GTA IV was never released on Mac and that's the way they chose to share it. Just because it is on the pirate bay does not mean is a illegal file.
They 'made their own version for Mac'? With Rockstar's permission?
I don't think so.
Of course it's illegal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.