Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It's not available everywhere. Their website lists available countries, and while Guam is not considered a "country" per SE, I imagine it would have been listed separately...and it isn't.

----------

Navigation (Beta) Availability
Google Maps Navigation (Beta) requires at least Apple iOS 5.1+. Google Maps Navigation is available in the following countries:

Algeria
Andorra
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Gibraltar
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia**
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States
We're working on bringing the Navigation feature to as many locales as possible; please check back here to see if Navigation becomes available for your country.

**Only available for certain regions

-->

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
I noticed this last night when I created a walking route. Only the preview was available.

When I choose to drive the route, I can go turn-by-turn!

Cafesitter

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Slovakia
Same issuein Slovakia

Which is one of the countries where it shoud work - I dont see many posts though so I wonder if there is something wrong with my set up. anyone else having this issue?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I'm having an issue I hope you all may be able to help me with.

When I use Google Maps in Guam on IOS 6.0.1, I am not offered the option to "start" turn-by-turn navigation. The only option I am given is "preview", which shows the entire route, but does not actually update real-time. View attachment 383886 I figured it might be because I am I'm Guam and Google might not have good mapping data to use for the directions, but it is able to route every destination perfectly.

The only work-around I've found is to click the GPS position arrow twice so that it keeps the direction I'm heading as "up" and follows my car along the route. However, this method does not provide any information about distance to turn, ETA, voice guidance, etc. I just have to watch my icon get close to the next turn to know when it is. View attachment 383887

Am I missing something really obvious, or is there a chance that turn-by-turn is not available everywhere?

The button says "Preview" for me as well (in New York) but when I tap it, the turn-by-turn starts and works normally.

moldi

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Same here

I'm experiencing the same thing - only "Preview" button, no "Start" :(

I'm in one of the supported countries and still no go.

Anyone found a solution yet?

Thanks

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Does it have anything to do with the cell signal?

The app on my wifi only iPad only shows preview as well but my iPhone works perfectly.

Planins

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
So I'm from Bulgaria and I only have Preview option too. (Bulgaria is listed as supported). I have an iPhone 4 and my girlfriend has a 4S and it is the same on both, on Wifi and on Cellular. I'm really disappointed from Google's maps and while Apple Maps aren't nearly as good I'll have to stick with them for turn-by-turn (by the way not supported on the 4). I have to admit though that the NAVIGON Europe app works great and has much much more POI in my city than any other mapping solution. But I'd really like to make use of the Google maps app because when it comes to finding a POI fast and easily it has no competition. So please, someone tell me why does this Preview only thing keep happening.

Kamingusu

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I'm getting the same problem in South Africa. When we traveled to Upington the start function turned into preview and turn by turn navigation stopped. We have no access while driving in Namibia.

gmarshnyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Has anyone found a solution. I get preview and I have signal and I've tried it in wifi and still see preview. Unlike the fellow in NYC when I hit preview it doesn't navigate as it usually does. It'll give me directions but I have to manually move to each step. What's the deal with that. Does anyone knew?

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
I was messing around with this the other day. I can always get it to work turn by turn if the start location is "My Location".

slsanity

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Chengdu, China
To anyone who runs across this thread, I discovered the cause and solution to this issue in some cases.

When you search for a location using google.com or the google app, then tap the directions button, the start and end points are passed to the google maps app. When you select the route and only see the preview option, it's because google.com/app passed a starting set of coordinates to the maps app, so your asking google maps to provide directions between two points, not your current location to a point. Thus no turn-by-turn. Simply tap into the start field and select current location, bam.

fafrost

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
To anyone who runs across this thread, I discovered the cause and solution to this issue in some cases.

When you search for a location using google.com or the google app, then tap the directions button, the start and end points are passed to the google maps app. When you select the route and only see the preview option, it's because google.com/app passed a starting set of coordinates to the maps app, so your asking google maps to provide directions between two points, not your current location to a point. Thus no turn-by-turn. Simply tap into the start field and select current location, bam.

Thank you for this solution. It has solved everything.

rjgerard99

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
I tried the suggestion of using my location. Not only did that not work, I don't even have the preview tab that I can click on. It works fine on my iPhone. What's going on with my iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.