Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tokyo1138

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Is it worth upgrading from the Third gen to the 5? seening as of right now the changes i think are largly cosmetic? And i do so as of right now but imo what can they change that isnt already perfect going since the retina ipad other thrn the brezel maybe.... Love to hear you guys opinions

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Well the 5 does have the lightning connector which the 3 does not. It should also get an under the hood performance bump as well i.e. ram and CPU. It will probably come with iOS 7 so it's hardware is optimized to run the new OS with no issues.

I own a 3 and plan on getting a 5 if it gets a speed bump. I'm still happy with my iPad 2 and 3. I'm more interested in the iPad mini with retina. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is it worth upgrading from the Third gen to the 5? seening as of right now the changes i think are largly cosmetic? And i do so as of right now but imo what can they change that isnt already perfect going since the retina ipad other thrn the brezel maybe.... Love to hear you guys opinions

You'll know when it is released.

iPad 5 will be better than iPad 4 which is better than iPad 3. It's up to you whether the cost of upgrading (buying iPad 5, selling iPad 3 on eBay or giving it to some deserving friend or relative) is worth the difference to you.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Unless you think the performance of the 3 is slow there is no reason to upgrade. I have the 3 and everything is still snappy and there are no current apps it cannot handle well. Personally I only upgrade if I feel my current device cant keep up with the newest apps or essential os features.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Of course, you should upgrade. iPad 3 is kinda underpowered for iOS 7.

sim0n

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
I'm sure the 3 would be capable for another 1-2 years yet, the ipad 2 is still for sale through apple after all!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
At some point in the next couple of years, I will no longer be able to download new Apps or update existing Apps to their latest versions on my iPad 3. That's going to be my sign that I need to upgrade.

Tokyo1138

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
You'll know when it is released.

iPad 5 will be better than iPad 4 which is better than iPad 3. It's up to you whether the cost of upgrading (buying iPad 5, selling iPad 3 on eBay or giving it to some deserving friend or relative) is worth the difference to you.

But wasnt the 4th jsut an upgrade to lighting with no real other boost? I havent looked up the differences but the only thing that come to mind between 3 and 4 was that. Plus de 4 got a memory boost later ipn its cycle... I hope so much imo that thry skip the 16 gb all together in the next gen. Its jsut isnt enough imo...

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
But wasnt the 4th jsut an upgrade to lighting with no real other boost? I havent looked up the differences but the only thing that come to mind between 3 and 4 was that. Plus de 4 got a memory boost later ipn its cycle... I hope so much imo that thry skip the 16 gb all together in the next gen. Its jsut isnt enough imo...

A6X vs A5X, not sure about the RAM but ipad 4 def. has 1 GB which is prob more than 3, plus camera bumps. That's about it.

----------

And you know that how? (Apart from it being nonsense)

Yes agreed. Heck the 4 can handle ios 7 and that's running at an A4 (my friend ran it on his 4 it was a little laggy but it was also beta 1, GM will prob be alot smoother on it). The 4s is more than capable as is the ipad 3.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
No. The 3 for me was for 2-3 years worth of use. It is in a case, so is kept in good shape.

The only downside for me is having to have 2 sets of cables.

C5Longhorn

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
I'm going to have to wait and see what the 5 offers. Right now I'm leaning towards holding off buying the 5.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wait to see what happens with the 5. If it's released and it seems like it's not a big enough update for you, the iPad you currently have should be more than fine.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

The 4 does literally have double the processing power and a better GPU than the 3. Of course, we don't know what to expect from the A7 chip; however if you are satisfied with the 3's performance you're probably good for another year or two. According to what iOS 7 beta testers are saying, the 3 is not doing so well currently. This will probably be fixed in the near future.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I love my 3, but the 5 will be a day one purchase for me. Much faster CPU/GPU combo, likely more ram, 1.5gb-2gb hopefully, igzo screen in a thinner lighter, smaller (bezel) package. Hells yeah.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I love my 3, but the 5 will be a day one purchase for me. Much faster CPU/GPU combo, likely more ram, 1.5gb-2gb hopefully, igzo screen in a thinner lighter, smaller (bezel) package. Hells yeah.

That's what I'm thinking.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Yes for me. I need an lte model. But I might as well wait to get a little extra for my money.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Much as I like my iPad 3, I definitely will be interested in getting the iPad 5 at some point (maybe not Launch Day, though).....for one thing, it will be nice to have all devices in this household using the same cable again -- right now I've got two using the Lightning cable and the iPad 3 still on the old 30-pin connector cable. The iPad 3 also tends to get very hot rather quickly, also recharges rather slowly, and I am hoping that both of these are something which would be remedied with the iPad 5. Lighter weight sure wouldn't hurt, either!

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I sold my iPad 3 for a mini, too heavy too HOT. Will sell the mini for a 5 if they are thinner and not HOT.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'd much rather use either my 11" MBA or 13" MBA, for any work I do.

Yet I also own an iPad mini and iPad 4. In addition I keep a Nexus 7, 7.2 and 10, all for fun and variety. I've tried several of the highest rated iPad keyboards yet don't like any.

If seems one has to be very determined to make an iPad into a laptop replacement.
Especially given the wonderful keyboard, larger display, and overall excellence of either size of MBA.

----------

There is always the option of not upgrading to iOS 7 and keeping it as is. :)

Only until that nasty message appears: you must have iOS (whatever the then current version is) to use this app. Now you're screwed. I've been there and its not long before the frustration of being locked out gets horribly maddening. Apples the master of taking huge piles of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.