Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Hi,
I have a Powerbook G4 "15 PPC 1.67 GHZ. When I charge my battery, the light on the battery will blink as it would when it is charging. But after like 5 minutes it says it's full. Which is impossble. Then when I remove the charger, the computer says the battery is full. But after 3 min it shuts down because the battery is dead. I already resetted the PMU and the PRAM. But it didn't work. What can i do?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
How old is the battery? How many charge cycles? You can check them with Coconut Battery and probably from System info (can't remember). If the battery is old or and/or it has hundreds of load cycles it might just be it.

Faves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dunno how old but only 192 cycles...

----------

This is weird it says that the current battery capacity is 63546 mAh and that the original battery capacity is 4400 mAh...

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Batteries age differently and the age alone might be enough for the battery to not hold much charge, what does coconut battery or system info say about the full capacity? How many mah?

Edit: okay I read the capacity thing, yeah I've had similar case with iBook g4. In my case the machine had been unused for several years and the battery info was totally wrong. I also did all resets, let the battery to charge and eventually it fixed itself and held several hours of charge. In my case however, the battery had under 50 load cycles.

Faves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
I tried fully charging it but that didn't work. Cause after 5 min it said it was fully charged (it says that every timt) and it then stops charging because it thinks is full. So what can i do?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
If you have done both PRAM and SMC resets, tried to charge and discharge, then you might need to simply buy new battery. It would be good to test with another machine of course, if that is possible.

Edit: it was SMU not SMC in old Macs... Anyways.

Faves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Trying in another one is no option. Do you have a good and cheap site for a battery, that delivers in europe?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Look my G4 has this when it isn't charging, just charge for a week, and the gods of batteries will resolve the issue.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Trying in another one is no option. Do you have a good and cheap site for a battery, that delivers in europe?

Welll I think if you choose any site which supports PayPal you have some kind of warranty, atleast for receiving a working battery. eBay is of course the default place to search, but there are plenty of sites to look from who ship from China.

Your case might be different but I feel that my iBook is too old and too useless for me to buy new battery because of the price. If I would buy new one it would as cheap as possible and probably from eBay.

kalel77

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
I had several times the same problems with my old PB G4 1.67.ghz.
Each times it was depending from the battery that was already gone, after 250 cycles you should considering that battery model gone.
The first times I was buying the original ones, but two expensive, I finally reached the same quality/price with one of the not original battery available on amazon, I recently got the one from firstcom.
It works great. Go on your amazon and make the research, you'll solve all the issues.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.