Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rogers

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Hong Kong
Buy refurbished model now

Like many others, I don't think we'll see a significant improvement in the next iPod Touch - much the same as with the revamped 2011 model, very minor improvement over the late 2010 model.

As such, and if you wish to hedge your bets, purchase a refurbished model now, and if the updated model does not comply with past experience, you can sell it on at a good 'used price' and purchase the newer model in the final quarter.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
I have wanted one for a year or so, and have just finally given in and its brilliant. I cant see how much they can do to improve, super fast wifi, very good camera, large screen, ear buds, Ios 7 ready.

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
If I were you, I would wait. September is just around the corner and it will be a big month for Apple likely launching a new iPhone, iPod, and quite possibly something else being thrown into the mix. If you're comfortable with your iPod being obsolete and an older generation about a month after it comes out, be my guest.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If I were you, I would wait. September is just around the corner and it will be a big month for Apple likely launching a new iPhone, iPod, and quite possibly something else being thrown into the mix. If you're comfortable with your iPod being obsolete and an older generation about a month after it comes out, be my guest.

Then when it doesn't come out this fall are you going to recommend waiting till spring. When it doesn't come out in the spring, are you going to recommend waiting till next fall ?

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
How come? What are you using instead?
iPhone 5 mostly

I'll take it off your hands for you ;)
Hey make me a sizable offer, I'd rather have a 8" Windows instead.

I doubt Apple will release another iPod touch this year. I bet they stick to a 24mo cycle on the iPods.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Considering all this hype about Apple not being able to innovate etc, you think they can afford not to update the iPod line?

The iPod range is pretty irrelevant. It's the iPhone and iPad that people are looking for them to revolutionise in. iPods/ mp3 players are on a downward spiral.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
Just get the 5th gen.
The 4th is great if you dont have the money and wanna forever be stuck on iOS 6,but the 5th will probably survive into iOS 8.

I dont expect anything new in the 6th gen,maybe some minor color changes and a new camera that looks the same :rolleyes:

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
honestly, my only question is whether apple will throw in an A6 processor. If they do, then I'd buy it since the A6 more than doubles in performance, increasing its future-proofness

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apple might want to improve the iPod 5G, but who are they competing with in that market? Samsung gave them some competition last year with the Galaxy Players, but they suddenly dropped the entire line! The only competition I see would be Apple's own iPhones. The iPod 5G is a fine PMP, with a decent camera. Maybe a bit more indoor capability without relying on flash would be nice, and I see that some people want 128GB. That would knock the iPod classic out of the game......

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a dumb phone, but don't you need to buy some sort of data plan to get an iPhone at the discounted price? My nephew just bought an iPhone 5 on my plan, and it was $94.31 just the first month and activation.
... Plus the cost of the phone.

daydream95

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
I would say go ahead and buy one, but after what happened to me today, Im not so sure. I was at Best Buy wanting to buy a blue 64gb ipod touch but they were all out. Not so weird, right? Well check this: All of the 64 gb ipod touches within the entire city's radius were all gone. None of the Best Buy stores had the 64 gb models in stock. I asked the clerk why would this happen and she said that her best guess was that they were probably coming out with something new.

Im really not the kind of person to put any stock into what people say, but I do consider the whole thing strange, especially since an announcement is due to be made on 9/10. I could've went to the apple store or another retailer but I just decided to wait. Even if we most likely wont be getting a completely brand new device, I think that we will atleast get a storage update like 128gb and an updated processor. Im really anxious to get a new ipod but I think I could manage to wait this out. If nothing happens on the 10th, then I'll most definitely purchase the 64gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.