Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Just wait...

Soon, the subsidies will disappear all together, the telcos will still make money, cause you need them for any phone to work.

Remember when competition was supposed to help?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
these subsidies are what keep phone prices high, they haven't come down in price like any other technology does.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I see someone stole my spreadsheet comment. :p

Here's what I do:
-Verizon, but grandfathered plan including unlimited data
-Corporate discount of 22% (unlimited data is only $23)
-Buy phone at full price on zero interest plan to ease payments
-Jailbreak for many reasons
-Happiness!

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
these subsidies are what keep phone prices high, they haven't come down in price like any other technology does.
I would tend to agree with you, but outside the US they don't have subsidies and the phones are still $650 or even more expensive when you tack on import tariffs.

This is one reason cheap Android phones are doing so much better outside the US than in the US. Apple is still outselling Android phones on the Verizon and AT&T, but outside the US it's about 80% Android and 20% iPhone.

The rumored iPhone 5C is supposed to help address this issue with a "mid range" iPhone probably closer to $300-$400 (without subsidy) vs $650 for what the latest iPhone goes for.

So I guess by that logic you're right. Apple wouldn't be making an iPhone 5C if it weren't for the no-subisdy model outside the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.