Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Then why does it say 'specifically' there is a problem interfacing with iOS7. How do software driver issues in iOS7 produce yield problems. This whole story looks very suspect.

Oh yeah, I missed that bit on the first read. Honestly, that sounds to me like they had difficulties interfacing with iOS 7 initially, meaning they couldn't finalize the hardware design until that was completed. Due to that delay the production ramp up will be slower (well delayed really) than previously expected.

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Well, it's not "for a whole quarter." Q3 ends at the end of September, so the 5S would've been selling for probably one weekend or little more.

Does Q3 in business sometimes refer to Q2 in the common world? I think I read something like that on this forum in the last month or so.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I agree. I don't see the value added over typing in my pass code.

Convienience drives people to use simple 4 digit codes which there is software to break in. Fingerprint sensor will lead to a much more secure device as the password can be more complex as a backup.

When it comes to using your phone for purchasing, it's in Apple's best interest to be certain the correct user has the phone for non-repudiation. It also may allow a roadmap to multiple users (think tablets in school) without much complexity.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Well the issue I see is with the speed/reliability. If you need to wait 1-2 seconds, or if you need to move your thumb around to get it to read accurately, then I see it being more of a hassle than it's worth.

Yep. This is how it is on consumer laptops, if that is any indication of reliability. I don't see my phone as a payment device, but it is obvious the smartphone will eventually be on par with a wallet in storing more personal info. Right now i like the seperation and I'm not rushed to merge everything into one.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Ok. I don't care it's 3-4 million or 8-10 million 5S, as long as they also release 5C.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Oh yeah, I missed that bit on the first read. Honestly, that sounds to me like they had difficulties interfacing with iOS 7 initially, meaning they couldn't finalize the hardware design until that was completed. Due to that delay the production ramp up will be slower (well delayed really) than previously expected.

If they are actually going to use this thing in the next phone there would have been pre-production samples available for ages and any software problems would have been long since resolved. If there are yield problems at this stage it will have nothing to do with iOS7 which is why I find this story suspicious. Seems to me they have over done the FUD on this one. It's a component that no one has seen yet that isn't due to ramp production for a couple of weeks and some how they blame a problem with iOS7. More likely they have some technical production issues hence the engineers from Apple and TSMC going over to help solve the problem.

PrimeMatrix

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Assuming it's only used as a replacement for your passcode.

Why not use it to authenticate personal info? Or to transfer money? I think there will be uses far beyond replacing the passcode.

My concern is how it will be able to determine my fingerprint. I tend to use different parts of my thumb - or occasionally different fingers - to activate my phone. Will it accommodate that?

That's a great question. I was just looking at my prints, and it seems like there is a general pattern connecting them all, but I would totally suspect that you will be able to store multiple print identities, for multi-users, or even multi fingers. Also, I would totally suspect that you will not have to use the sensor at all if you choose not to. Such would be the case for people who wish not "Apple" to "have access" to their prints. :)
I think you're dead on about the limitless possibilities too to having a fingerprint sensor; I would love to see it implicated in money transfers, so someday I can finally stop relying on my wallet lol.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011

It's not just for "typing in your pass code". It's going to replace your apple ID password, it's going to automatically integrate with iCloud keychain to allow you to log into any sites, accounts, or use whatever credit card you want on your device at any time.

It's basically the end to ever needing to remember a password on your device ever again.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If the fingerprint sensor is the biggest "wow" feature of the 5S, I'll pass. I'd rather let Apple work the bugs out of the fingerprint sensor technology with the 5S and I'll get the 6. Until then, using a non-simple passcode will do just fine. The fingerprint sensor could work really, really well; or it could be another debacle where Apple tells you at launch, "the more you use it, the better it will get". Riiiiight. . .

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I think the article is pretty clear that they are talking about production yield rates for the fingerprint sensors. It has nothing to do with iOS 7 or any other software issue. It's simply the difficulty in scaling up this hardware component.

The quote references an issue with iOS7.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
It's not just for "typing in your pass code". It's going to replace your apple ID password, it's going to automatically integrate with iCloud keychain to allow you to log into any sites, accounts, or use whatever credit card you want on your device at any time.

It's basically the end to ever needing to remember a password on your device ever again.

I agree here too though I'm not sure how I feel about my phone being my credit card.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
its been a while since we had a good shortage. Since iPad 2 maybe? a shortage could help feed the hype machine.

CodexMonkey

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
It's ok. I hear Microsoft are also having to constrain supplies of Windows phones due to customer shortages.

abs47589

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Illinois
It's possible that Apple isn't too worried because it wants a consistent/increasing amount of shipments instead for consecutive quarters because in the past it seems as if millions of people buy the new iphone in its first month or two of release and then sales slow down.

----------

I can see it already: fingerprintgate

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

yes, because i cant possibly see why holding a finger over a sensor for a moment would be hold more value over having to enter a password or pin every single time, for prying eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.