Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
i got this game from the app store, as i was looking for a strategy/micro - management game.
the game is beautiful, has great background music (even though it's repetitive, it doesn't make you mad) and the characters has great voice-overs. when you go for campaign mode you get a challenge for each level, but as you play you get more tasks to do - starting from improving your citizens housing, through managing foreign relations with the US or USSR and compelling challenges (export X cigars to the US) for prizes.
i was really impressed with this game, and it's a great fun if you like these games.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
actually just picked this game up as well because i got tired of waiting for simcity. So far love it :) Havent played any of the older ones but can definitely say its worth the pick up if that is the style of game you enjoy.

Only gripe so far is lack of button customization. Really not a fan of some of the view controls.

c-only-man

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Tropico 3 & 4 are among my favourite games and I am about to buy either a new MBA 13' or a rMBP 13'. What hardware are you running the games on?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Much better than Tropico 3? Cuz T3 is cheaper now, I was tempted to get that instead. Con someone convince me to bypass T3 and go right to T4?

I hear tropico 4 is basically 3, but more. So I'd get 3 and when you're done with that and want more, get 4.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I hear tropico 4 is basically 3, but more. So I'd get 3 and when you're done with that and want more, get 4.

That's what I suspected. T3 looks like it has the Cold War Soviet-era Cuba look and feel (Tropico has to choose between the USA or Soviet allegiance), while T4 seems like a modernized 21st-century Banana Republic.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
actually just picked this game up as well because i got tired of waiting for simcity. So far love it :) Havent played any of the older ones but can definitely say its worth the pick up if that is the style of game you enjoy.

Only gripe so far is lack of button customization. Really not a fan of some of the view controls.

If you notice we did enable WASD for movement as a Mac extra in the pre game advanced tab as that was a gripe for us too :)

Edwin

----------

Thanks Rossatron. Anybody out there playing on intel HD4000 or HD5000 machines?

Fully tested and supported on both cards the game performs smoothly although you cannot turn up all the settings to maximum.

Edwin

-------

For people who have both games you can make Tropico 4 use the Tropico 3 music if you like using this handy mod :)

Go to: Tropico 4 and view package contents then move to the Data in resources. Enter /Packs/boot and back up the file music.hpk (in case something bad happens, or you want the old music back).

Now, go the Tropico 3 (same method) /Packs/boot and copy Music.hpk from there

Paste it back in the same directory, within the Tropico 4 folder and allow it to over-write.

Reload and you have the T3 music in T4. Not supported but kinda cool.

Edwin

c-only-man

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Thanks edddeduck. I kinda thought that was the case. Cant wait to get my new machine to play them on.

davecom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
It's really a superb game, and a great port by Feral. I've been playing it since the beta test on my MacBook Air 2013 i7 8 GB and have never really had performance issues with settings on High. Highly recommended.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Definitely a cool game, like a lot the attention to detail, you can pretty much track EVERYBODY on that island see where they live, where they work and where they get drunk lol. The port is solid too.

I did find it almost too easy to win money. After some tabacco farms and a gold mine, you can easily get tons of money and buy whatever you want... I even got to a point in which I could afford to "quick build" everthing :confused:

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
How bad will this run on a 2010 MBP 13" with 4GB RAM?

And is gameplay that restricted on the 13"? I bet it's awesome on a 24"+. I've been playing Tropico 3 demo and I'm sort of wishing I had a larger monitor.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
How bad will this run on a 2010 MBP 13" with 4GB RAM?

And is gameplay that restricted on the 13"? I bet it's awesome on a 24"+. I've been playing Tropico 3 demo and I'm sort of wishing I had a larger monitor.

Performance is similar to Tropico 3 perhaps a little slower on the more populated islands.

Edwin

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I ended up getting Tropico 3. Less expensive and I didn't have to upgrade my RAM, although that may be happening later on.

It's taking up way too much of my time though! But well worth it. I was reading some reviews and a lot of people were posting that they got it for like $10. Wish I could've got in on that deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.