Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
So,the 7th gen Nano is great..for some people.Compared to the 5th gen it seems to lack the most basic features.I know that the 5th gen has games and notes and calendar(which the 7th gen oddly doesnt have).

So,does anyone know what will the new iPod Nano bring us,and will it be comming in October alongside the iPhone 6 and iPod Touch 6?

Or maybe they kill it :eek:

Last edited:

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Why exactly does it suck? I've never had a nano or an iPod recently. What's the problem with the nano? I was thinking about purchasing one for $100. I think it looks sharp. The slate color that is. Should I not buy one?

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Why exactly does it suck? I've never had a nano or an iPod recently. What's the problem with the nano? I was thinking about purchasing one for $100. I think it looks sharp. The slate color that is. Should I not buy one?

I'd buy one. I don't see any problem with it.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
Is there rumors of a new nano being released this year?
Only in so much as there's a new one every year and it's almost that time again. It's not likely to be a big redesign though as that happened last year.
Big change, small change, big change, small change.....

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I think this year or next year is the last of any iPods.

I did buy last years iPod although I barely use it, I think its been almost a year since I used it. I charged the battery a few months ago and haven't touched it since. I have a 160GB Classic that I use every day in the car. I would love to see an update on that more than anything.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010

I did buy last years iPod although I barely use it, I think its been almost a year since I used it. I charged the battery a few months ago and haven't touched it since. I have a 160GB Classic that I use every day in the car. I would love to see an update on that more than anything.

The only reason I have an iPod is for running since I don't want to run with my phone which is just too big. The 6th gen was the best iPod for sport but now using it less and less - because I have moved to Spotify.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
I too hope they don't scrap the ipod completely. I don't want to fill my phone up with music. That means less space for apps etc or you have to compromise or you have to pay for more storage that you might not want to do.

It's wonderfully small, light, and simple and does exactly what it needs to do. I don't want to have to carry a relatively heavy phone to do the same job.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I like my 6G, great for listening to music on longer trips and I wear it as a watch a few times a month.

7G will be the iWatch, so don't expect anything new for this upcoming september.

H01D3N

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
So,the 7th gen Nano is great...it is if you are a idiot.Compared to the 5th gen it sucks.I know that the 5th gen has games and notes and calendar(which the 7th gen oddly doesnt have).

So,does anyone know what will the new iPod Nano bring us,and will it be comming in October alongside the iPhone 6 and iPod Touch 6?

Or maybe they kill it :eek:

Alright, first of all, the new iPod nano doesn't suck. You are completely forgetting the fact that the iPod nano is the thinnest and the lightest iPod ever. Second, did the 5th gen have a multi touch display? Did it have Bluetooth 4.0? Did it have the high speed all digital lightening port? I don't think that they will kill the iPod nano, because there is a huge market for it. I do not think that they will update it though, as it tends to only be updated every other year.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I bought one but returned it once I found out you can only use the radio with the headphones. I wanted to use it with my jambox via Bluetooth but radio won't work without the headphones.

speedyraf

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
The shape, size and touch screen of the current iPod nano appeal to me. However, I use my 5th gen iPod's features (contacts, calendar and notes) daily. It's a nice bridge between the iPod shuffle and iPod touch in my opinion. Perhaps Apple could combine the size of the nano with a few of the features of the iPod Touch for the same price? I'd think seriously about buying it in that case.

Tivrapasit

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
I love the last iPod nano! I think the features or the older versions aren't even necessary, but I guess they could be to some people. I only use for listening to music, so it's more or less the only thing I expect it to do. I really like the fact that it is so simple.

The changes I would very much like to see in the 8th generation are:
- a 32 GB version
- iOS 7 style UI
- more battery?
- maybe that the white part would actually match the iPod's colour, like for the black one. This is just a detail though.
- a better sound card!! I think this would be the best update ever. Since it's made to play music, it would be more than appreciated to play it even better. I would't want to buy one of those portable DACs. Plus you could actually take advantage of nice headphones, or even plug it to a HIFI system if you wanted to!

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I think people miss the point of what the nano is meant for but oh well I still love my 6th gen nano and hope that apple comes out with the iwatch soon

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I love the last iPod nano! I think the features or the older versions aren't even necessary, but I guess they could be to some people. I only use for listening to music, so it's more or less the only thing I expect it to do. I really like the fact that it is so simple.

The changes I would very much like to see in the 8th generation are:
- a 32 GB version
- iOS 7 style UI
- more battery?
- maybe that the white part would actually match the iPod's colour, like for the black one. This is just a detail though.
- a better sound card!! I think this would be the best update ever. Since it's made to play music, it would be more than appreciated to play it even better. I would't want to buy one of those portable DACs. Plus you could actually take advantage of nice headphones, or even plug it to a HIFI system if you wanted to!

Better sound would be great.. Sadly I feel we're in the minority

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I own two 5G nanos, and like many others here I prefer it over all the other nano versions. I use them as my main music playback devices, despite having an iPhone. Even so, the 7th gen (the latest as of this writing) was a "return to form" of sorts; the only features the 5G has over the 7G are the built-in speaker, the video camera, and the no-look operation of the click wheel.

Like Tivrapasit, I too would like to see 32 Gb and a better DAC in Apple's next nano. The DAC part I could see happening; the 32 Gb, probably not, but we all can dream.

And like JackieInCo, I could be more intrigued by an updated iPod classic, preferably with 128 or 256 Gb SSD instead of a disc-based hard drive. Make that available in colors, and I'd probably get that over the nano-- I'd love to have my entire music library with me, but the whole spinning-disc thing has me hesitant about getting it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why? As long as Apple is making a profit on them they will continue to sell them. Also, parents might buy their younger kids an iPod touch but they won't buy them iPhones. There is a market for iPods that is seperate and distinct from iPhones and iPads.

Also, in some work environments, you could have an iPod classic with you, but not any iOS device with a camera or any sort of radio signal. In this sense, Apple missed the boat with the 16GB 5th gen iPod touch - there should have been no Facetime camera either which would have allowed it in places that don't allow cameras, but don't care about radio signals.

And like JackieInCo, I could be more intrigued by an updated iPod classic, preferably with 128 or 256 Gb SSD instead of a disc-based hard drive. Make that available in colors, and I'd probably get that over the nano-- I'd love to have my entire music library with me, but the whole spinning-disc thing has me hesitant about getting it.
What about an iPod touch with 128GB? Would that work for you, because I think we will see that if not this year, then next year.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Why? As long as Apple is making a profit on them they will continue to sell them. Also, parents might buy their younger kids an iPod touch but they won't buy them iPhones. There is a market for iPods that is seperate and distinct from iPhones and iPads.

Also, in some work environments, you could have an iPod classic with you, but not any iOS device with a camera or any sort of radio signal. In this sense, Apple missed the boat with the 16GB 5th gen iPod touch - there should have been no Facetime camera either which would have allowed it in places that don't allow cameras, but don't care about radio signals.

What about an iPod touch with 128GB? Would that work for you, because I think we will see that if not this year, then next year.

(emphasis mine, as this part was a reply to my earlier comment)

Bear, the answer to your question toward me lies partially in your response to JackieInCo in the first part of your post. There is indeed a market for iPods that are distinct from iPhones and iPads; iPods serve people who cannot bring camera- or radio-enabled devices to places where they would like to listen to music, be it at work or at many gyms.

The other part lies in the no-look operation of the click wheel. Call me old-fashioned, but I find the Click Wheel more responsive and intuitive than a rather fragile in-line control button module. I do well over 80% of my iPod-related actions in a typical day without looking, which is important while driving a car or being in certain crowded public places where an Apple product is more likely to be stolen.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
Alright, first of all, the new iPod nano doesn't suck. You are completely forgetting the fact that the iPod nano is the thinnest and the lightest iPod ever. Second, did the 5th gen have a multi touch display? Did it have Bluetooth 4.0? Did it have the high speed all digital lightening port? I don't think that they will kill the iPod nano, because there is a huge market for it. I do not think that they will update it though, as it tends to only be updated every other year.

Back in 2009 there was no Lightning connector,devices were bigger,and iPods were updated with big things every year.

Apple has abandoned its iconic device in favor for more money from the iOS devices.

The 7th get may have all this things you say,but think about this:What kind of a modern device doesnt have a calendar :p

----------

If the 8g Nano comes,i would like to see this;

-32GB

-GAMES

-All the apps that were on the Click Wheel Nanos:Alarm,Notes,Clock,Calendar...

-Better battery

-HD Display

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
I got a 7th gen for my birthday last year and I love it. I was never into the little square style, myself. I use mine for working out and I found an awesome armband/case combo which protects it nicely (it even came with a screen protector). It's small, light, and great for what I need it to do.

Why would I want games, notes, or a calendar on a music player? The Nano is meant to play music/radio/podcasts, and it does that simply and well. If you need a lot of functionality, why not get a Touch or iPhone? (Although I will agree that an alarm should be included as part of the clock function.)

The only thing I would change about it is the ability to load custom wallpapers, and that's a minor nit at best.

KingShoot007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Starfleet Academy
I got a 7th gen for my birthday last year and I love it. I was never into the little square style, myself. I use mine for working out and I found an awesome armband/case combo which protects it nicely (it even came with a screen protector). It's small, light, and great for what I need it to do.

Why would I want games, notes, or a calendar on a music player? The Nano is meant to play music/radio/podcasts, and it does that simply and well. If you need a lot of functionality, why not get a Touch or iPhone? (Although I will agree that an alarm should be included as part of the clock function.)

The only thing I would change about it is the ability to load custom wallpapers, and that's a minor nit at best.

You didnt have any of the previous iPods,such as the video iPod or iPod Mini didnt you?

I have an iPhone and iTouch but i want that on the Nano.If it was on 5 generation of nanos,why cant it be here now?

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
You didnt have any of the previous iPods,such as the video iPod or iPod Mini didnt you?

I have an iPhone and iTouch but i want that on the Nano.If it was on 5 generation of nanos,why cant it be here now?

I had a Mini for quite some time. I really only used it to play music. I'm not trying to say what other people should or shouldn't want on an iPod, just that for my own usage, I don't need that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.