Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Competition
The Nexus 7 is getting good reviews and has forced a Retina iPad mini update. Android itself is getting "good enough" and Google is starting to take a more active role which will make the platform stronger.

They still haven't cracked online in any meaningful way. And forget about social.

Incremental innovation
The move to subscription music pricing is something Apple is missing the boat on - I went Spotify and just can't even imagine going back to buying music.

They spent too long treating AppleTV as a hobby and are about to have their legs cut out from under them by Google, and even if it doesn't, they basically have stiff competition in a low-margin area.

Transformational innovation
Google Glass is at least an attempt at changing the computing paradigm. Leap is also doing interesting things. Amazon has Liquavista displays in the wings which will change tablet computing again potentially.

So there is a mix of competitors catching up, incremental innovation going on, and transformational stuff waiting in the wings and Apple doesn't seem to be positioned against any of it. If I was the Board, I'd be worried too. They have enormous goodwill built up that could get them through for a bit, but they have been sitting on massive capital while having obvious areas of weakness that suggests willful blindness.

Prototypes and "testing the waters" with a few new products here and there isn't really innovation. I'm viewing innovation as game changing products, we haven't seen one of those in a very, very long time. Yeah it's arguable, because ONE person might think something is game changing for THEM, I'm talking about for the entire industry and for consumers. We've been stagnant for a long time, what has changed the way we live lately??

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
concerned??? their products are the best selling products of the year, i mean, best selling products mean their products have the best things to offer, they dont need to be worried. but i would like to see a new CEO, tim cook is really boring

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Innovation my ass...

Innovation is something you can't learn at Harvard, MIT, Caltech, or Stanford.
Innovation isn't something that comes with a GPA of 4.0, 3.9 or 3.8.
Innovation is held by those who have the "talent" to predict what people really want before it exists.
Innovation is likely held by someone working as a cashier at Walmart or someone unemployed waiting for a chance to voice his opinion.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
The company that mass produces and markets a battery that recharges from 0%-100% in under 10 minutes wins.

Better, the company the produces a new method of greater power storage at current physical wins. Especially if it there is the future prospect of greater capacity along that tech. And they really win if it doesn't involved expensive rare elements.

0 to 100 charge in 10 minutes would be cool and all, but that means you'd still have to be plugging in at least once a day. I can sell you a batter/charger system now that goes from 0 to 100 in 10 minutes... it just won't last you 24+ hours of heavy processor/radio intensive usage.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
For god sake

For a large part of the 2000's all we talked about was the iPod and what new features the new model had, we waited years for a phone and tablet from Apple. During this time we had a few different looking iMac's and some slightly modified MacBooks. Looking back these updates were just as uninteresting as the updates to the iPhone and iPad, but man did we go on about them.

I think the truth is that Apple dropped two massive products on the market within just a few years, or to put it another way Apple shot it's load in one go. Apple raised our expectations, but it's unrealistic to expect Apple to keep dropping amazing products every couple of years. Maybe we should go back to being excited about the incremental updates, and speculating about products that Apple should release.

People say Apple isn't innovating, but we've stopped dreaming up new products, all we have to look forward to is a TV and a watch. I guess once Apple create those they may as well stop innovating because apparently according to the rumour mill that's all we want.

Sigh! :confused:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's not unheard of for a Board director to leak information to the media that they are unhappy with the CEO performance simply because they can't exactly come out and say it directly themselves without either forcing a vote or resigning.

The Fox Business News guy said that his sources were absolutely solid on this story.

Haha as if he'd say anything else. Means nothing, especially when this guy doesn't have a history of being in the know or breaking stories about Apple. Sorry but I don't trust any Wall Street types when it comes to Apple. I'm sure Doug Kass says he has solid sources when he tweets that he's heard Apple is going to do a stock split or Tim Cook is on his way out. :rolleyes:

----------

I see some general comments made about collaboration and a reshuffling of many of the top executives at Apple, but I don't see a video where Cook specifically says that Forstall was let go because of collaboration problems. I see a lot of speculation online, and I believe Forstall could have been difficult to work with, but I didn't find any videos with Cook speaking directly about Forstall. I am not saying there aren't any, but I just can't find them.

It's called reading between then lines. The press release from Apple referenced increased collaboration. In the Business Week interview Cook did he again referenced greater collaboration and said he won't tolerate politics at Apple. I think it's pretty clear from Cook's comments that Forstall didn't work well with other SVPs and was very political.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Firstly, I call ******** on the whole story. But let's pretend for a moment that it's true.

The original iPod was launched in October 2001; assuming that the fabricators of this story only accept completely new product categories as "innovation", then the next "innovation" from Apple didn't arrive until the original Apple TV and the original iPhone in 2007. Yes, a 6-year gap between "innovations". Then it was 3 years until the next "innovation" with the iPad. But now that Steve Jobs has passed, Apple is expected to enter new product markets every 2 years or else they aren't "innovating" quickly enough? What would satisfy the board and shareholders? A watch in 2013, a television in 2014, a car in 2015, and hoverboards by 2016?

If Steve Jobs were still alive, what innovative products does anyone believe he'd have brought to market by this time?

You're looking at this wrong. Instead of comparing today's Apple to its past, you should be comparing today's Apple to its current competition in the technology marketplace.

There is no doubt in any reasonable person's mind that Apple's recent strategy for profit has been to rely on the fact that customers are invested in its iTunes ecosystem. Its a good strategy for the short term, but the lack of innovation (dual flash and a fingerprint sensor? LOL) could be a reasonable long term concern for the board.

As fascinating as it is to read the rundown of previous "innovative" products in this thread, it misses the point.

Dogger

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
Vancouver BC
No matter how you look at it Apple has been shitkicked in the market place by Android and that should be cause for concern, heck I'm a 20 year Apple guy with 20 plus Apple devices and even I have jumped ship this year.
Cook is another Gil Ammelio, too busy counting the cash and not pushing the troops to keep pace. They need a change quickly or the gap will widen even more.

Fairthrope

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I see, not very important in your view. Live long and prosper!

True. Be mindful with your lifestyle, what what you eat, and your body can take care of the rest. Eastern medicine works that way. Medicine itself is an afterthought.

And I think ancient Chinese cities will never break a million-per-city threshold without water pipes and sewage canals.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Better, the company the produces a new method of greater power storage at current physical wins. Especially if it there is the future prospect of greater capacity along that tech. And they really win if it doesn't involved expensive rare elements.

0 to 100 charge in 10 minutes would be cool and all, but that means you'd still have to be plugging in at least once a day. I can sell you a batter/charger system now that goes from 0 to 100 in 10 minutes... it just won't last you 24+ hours of heavy processor/radio intensive usage.

I think the 2 techs would need to work hand in hand. Higher capacity batteries may last longer but they also take longer to charge.

iPad for example, takes almost as long to charge the battery as the battery lasts IE from 0%-100% in around 6-7 hours on AC which returns roughly 10-11 hours usage time!!

I often get caught out. Now if the same battery took 30 minutes to charge from 0%-100%...??!!!!

Better yet, twice the capacity of the current iPad battery which charges in 1 hour....???!!

But if they were to produce a battery with twice the capacity of the current battery but one that took 14-16hrs to charge...?? That's a lot of downtime between charges no and not really a feasible solution.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Prototypes and "testing the waters" with a few new products here and there isn't really innovation. I'm viewing innovation as game changing products, we haven't seen one of those in a very, very long time. Yeah it's arguable, because ONE person might think something is game changing for THEM, I'm talking about for the entire industry and for consumers. We've been stagnant for a long time, what has changed the way we live lately??

That is a ridiculous standard. Glass could be entirely game-changing. And Apple isn't that sort of transformer either - they take known markets and address consumer unmet need for simplicity and integrated solutions. The Rio was a transformative innovation - the iPod was just a better solution. Palm pioneered the smartphone space...

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
True. Be mindful with your lifestyle, what what you eat, and your body can take care of the rest. Eastern medicine works that way. Medicine itself is an afterthought.

And I think ancient Chinese cities will never break a million-per-city threshold without water pipes and sewage canals.

Thank you for your answer. But because of very sad personal circumstances I know what you say doesn't hold all the truth.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
edit:
Making a 27" tablet and calling it innovative is like making a 40" PC monitor and calling it innovative. Its merely a form factor change.
But it changes the functionality of the device! :D
Apple came out with the iPhone and everybody was all like, "ZOMG this changes EVERYTHING!" Then they came out with the iPad (which was essentially the same thing, just a different form-factor) and everybody was all like, "teh tablet revolushunlolololol!!!!!1!!!!"

Since then, every tech company and their mother have been clamoring in Apple's wake, coming out with devices that are really only differentiated by their screen size. That's where all these stupid "phablets" like the Galaxy Note S4281lol189QAMOLEDLED come from.

But then along comes Lenovo and they said, "Screw you guys dicking around between 4" and 10". We're going JUMBO!" And they make this hugeass tablet that... actually looks pretty cool! It's something NEW!

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
Is this the same board that was thinking about selling Apple just a few years ago?

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
You're looking at this wrong. Instead of comparing today's Apple to its past, you should be comparing today's Apple to its current competition in the technology marketplace.

There is no doubt in any reasonable person's mind that Apple's recent strategy for profit has been to rely on the fact that customers are invested in its iTunes ecosystem. Its a good strategy for the short term, but the lack of innovation (dual flash and a fingerprint sensor? LOL) could be a reasonable long term concern for the board.

As fascinating as it is to read the rundown of previous "innovative" products in this thread, it misses the point.
You'd be correct if any of Apple's competitors were innovating; they're not. The only company who has set the bar for innovation for Apple is Apple. What new product categories have Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc successfully disrupted in the past 3 years? None. They've all followed Apple into the tablet category, just as they followed Apple into the smartphone category, but none of them have done what investors and the board of directors are allegedly expecting Apple to do.

You laugh at dual-flash and fingerprint sensor; what Pray tell are the amazing innovative features Apple's smartphone competitors have introduced this year? What are the amazing new features of the 2013 Android and Surface tablets?

I own a lot of Apple products and enjoy having their "latest and greatest" but you are correct. Come fall I will have to pick and choose what I want with everything coming out at the same time. Then I will end up waiting for the NEXT FALL REFRESH to get what I skipped this time around. They need to stagger their products. It would create hype and interest in the brand all year long instead of just before the holidays.
Yeah it's a crap strategy. Nothing new all year and then come September they'll hold an event or three and say, "Here's the new iPhone, iPad, iMacs and Macbook Pros. Merry Christmas everybody, see y'all next year!". It's a poor strategy; their quarterly profits are already down because it, and their sales overall will be down as the new products compete for the same consumer dollars.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
You'd be correct if any of Apple's competitors were innovating; they're not. The only company who has set the bar for innovation for Apple is Apple. What new product categories have Google, Samsung, Microsoft, etc successfully disrupted in the past 3 years? None. They've all followed Apple into the tablet category, just as they followed Apple into the smartphone category, but none of them have done what investors and the board of directors are allegedly expecting Apple to do.

Samsung and Microsoft were players in the smartphone category long before Apple

You laugh at dual-flash and fingerprint sensor; what Pray tell are the amazing innovative features Apple's smartphone competitors have introduced this year? What are the amazing new features of the 2013 Android and Surface tablets?

Fingerprint sensor is intriguing

Dual-flash is a crappy solution, especially since we're moving into the era of Xenon flashes on phones

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Samsung and Microsoft were players in the smartphone category long before Apple

Fingerprint sensor is intriguing

Dual-flash is a crappy solution, especially since we're moving into the era of Xenon flashes on phones

Been done already. First in 1999.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/security-biometric-fingerprint,review-1062.html

There are a handful of phones and PDAs with fingerprint sensors, including the LG LP3800 and Toshiba’s Portégé Windows Mobile phones like the G920. Siemens brought out the first fingerprint-protected mobile phone in 1999.

I don't understand this big hoopla over fingerprint scanning. The Atrix 4G had it already in 2011 in a modern day device.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_atrix_4g-review-589p3.php
Why is everyone making this feature something that is revolutionary when it's been done many times before?

But of course this being APPLE, many will think they invented it.

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Been done already. First in 1999.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/security-biometric-fingerprint,review-1062.html

I don't understand this big hoopla over fingerprint scanning. The Atrix 4G had it already in 2011 in a modern day device.
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_atrix_4g-review-589p3.php
Why is everyone making this feature something that is revolutionary when it's been done many times before?

But of course this being APPLE, many will think they invented it.

It's not a big deal and it's not revolutionary but I'm curious about implementation. Biometrics > inputting a PIN or slide to unlock. Only thing is the AI and tech needs work

I had one of those scanners on a mid-2000's Fujitsu laptop and it sucked because you had to swipe and it didn't work half the time. Give me a phone with a near instantaneous classifier that doesn't screw up so I can ditch the PIN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.