Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Will the iPhone 5 cases still fit the iPhone 5S? I ask because my bf just bought a maxboost atomic air charger case (similar to the mophie cases) on Amazon, but I convinced him to wait for the 5S to come out. I'm hoping the case will fit/function just fine on the 5S, but if not then he should probably return it soon.

From what I've seen, the phone is going to be the exact same shape/thickness, right? I don't think the camera cut-out will interfere with the dual-led, either, but not quite sure. What do you think?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
As far as I remember, the dimensions of the 3G and the 3GS were the same as were the 4 and 4S. While that bodes well for the 5S being the same as the 5, it is no guarantee.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
If it's the same form factor then most cases will probably fit. To be on the safe side, I'd invest in one with a larger camera cut-out.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
As far as I remember, the dimensions of the 3G and the 3GS were the same as were the 4 and 4S. While that bodes well for the 5S being the same as the 5, it is no guarantee.

The volume buttons on the 4 and 4S have a different position, some case for 4 don't fit on the 4S because of this.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I would hold off because of the camera/flash change. I think at some point I saw a rumor about the flash being on the other side of the phone, so that would render any 5 cases useless on a 5S.

windstalker7

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
I think lots of iPhone 5 cases would fit the iPhone 5S.

As long as they have HUGE rear camera cut out to accommodate the dual flash that iPhone 5S is supposed to come out with :)

Otherwise, you may have that glare effect when the iPhone 4 first came out

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
No one HERE knows FOR SURE what the next iPhone (if it's even called the 5S) will be, so anything posted here is a GUESS.

You do know that don't you?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
No one HERE knows FOR SURE what the next iPhone (if it's even called the 5S) will be, so anything posted here is a GUESS.

You do know that don't you?

What's that have to do with cases?

Anyway, I would hold off until the phone is released. If the dual flash is true, then some cases may need revisions to accommodate that.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Will the iPhone 5 cases still fit the iPhone 5S? I ask because my bf just bought a maxboost atomic air charger case (similar to the mophie cases) on Amazon, but I convinced him to wait for the 5S to come out. I'm hoping the case will fit/function just fine on the 5S, but if not then he should probably return it soon.

From what I've seen, the phone is going to be the exact same shape/thickness, right? I don't think the camera cut-out will interfere with the dual-led, either, but not quite sure. What do you think?

Lets work with facts.

The new iPhone isn't here yet.

Therefore why would we waste time guessing?

If you have a burning desire to waste time surely there's other things you could do.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What's that have to do with cases?

Anyway, I would hold off until the phone is released. If the dual flash is true, then some cases may need revisions to accommodate that.

Oh I don't know, perhaps it would be best to wait for Apple to reveal the the next iPhone's shape before we decide if a case will fit? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I for one can wait a few short weeks to find out what is and what is not with the iphone 5S. Would never purchase a case for another version of the iPhone and hope it will fit. Some manufactures last year showed off some cases for the iphone 5 and had to retract them when they learned it would not fit correctly. Just because a manufacture says it will fit does not mean it actually will.

Or, go ahead, and buy one now. :confused: :D

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How would Spigen known what to design for the upcoming 5S? If the accessory makers had any sort of intel on upcoming product specs; the leaks would be a daily deluge.

Maybe they don't? They may just be betting that nothing will change or their cutouts are large enough to accommodate any small changes in camera/ flash/ button locations. They may get hosed if things turn out differently than they had predicted, but may strike a windfall if they are the one of the few in the market with accessories that fit, while the rest of the cautious companies are still ramping up.

Dannel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2013
I hope so. anyway, it is a kind of waste to buy a new case for iphone 5s if you already have a iphone 5 case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.