Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaminunit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
People are already aware of the mass spying done by the NSA and other governments. I know that I don't want apple to hold my biometric data. But I don't want Samsung to hold it ether.

I feel that many people are in the same boat and will jump ship if they are to be fingerprinted If they want to unlock their phone.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
IMO it is pretty hard to make a judgement based on a yet to be released product and implementation
We really have no idea how this will work, what it will do, or anything else at this point

I don't see much value in it based on what others have speculated
But I have yet to see Apple's interpretation and implementation

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Haven't laptops had finger print scanners for YEARS. Has HP, Toshiba, Acer or Sony acquired this information? Did people say this was a bad idea back when laptops started adding this functionality?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont think it will be a mistake, but thats just me. The whole NSA stuff is blown out of proportion, the media has you paranoid for no reason.

Though out of curiosity, if all phones in 2014 force you to use fingerprint scanners, what will you do?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
This is ridiculous.

Ever been to visit a doctor or hospital? If yes, then massive healthcare institutions and insurers have a lot more "biometric data" than just your fingerprint -- they will have a paper "readout" of your body and organs, probably starting with when you were born. Bloodtype, mental history if any, major diseases, list of past and current medications and prescriptions, EKG exemplars, surgeries, past accidents or injuries, size and weight history, parent and sibling information, whether you smoke or drink excessively, and on and on and on.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
People are already aware of the mass spying done by the NSA and other governments. I know that I don't want apple to hold my biometric data. But I don't want Samsung to hold it ether.

I feel that many people are in the same boat and will jump ship if they are to be fingerprinted If they want to unlock their phone.

Wow, don't forget to put on your tin foil hat on the way to the real world. Valid observation, but overwhelmingly far-fetched.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

How MANY?

I would had not thought a billion people willingly post their particulars on Facebook for total strangers to see.

Voyeurism + promise of free service/product + convenience + the need to belong, TRUMPS privacy concerns.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
This is one of my main concerns.... Will see the difference between 5 5c and 5s before choosing, if it not so far worse, I will go with 5c if it does not have this sensor

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is one of my main concerns.... Will see the difference between 5 5c and 5s before choosing, if it not so far worse, I will go with 5c if it does not have this sensor

If that was the only difference I'd go for the 5C too.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Haven't laptops had finger print scanners for YEARS. Has HP, Toshiba, Acer or Sony acquired this information? Did people say this was a bad idea back when laptops started adding this functionality?

AND no ones uses them.

What current laptop has a finger print scanner?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
As long as the fingerprint scanner is optional then I'm fine with it being on my phone. Depending on how well it works, that might not always be the case however.

O O O

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Socal
Motorola Atrix 4G released two years ago had a fingerprint scanner. This isn't new to cell phones. It's a gimmick.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
AND no ones uses them.

What current laptop has a finger print scanner?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+EN...lver/9349042.p?id=1219013209337&skuId=9349042

And it's pretty handy for quick logins. No offense, but Americans seem pretty paranoid about "Big Brother" invading their privacy. The truth is that very few people are even important enough for the NSA or any other government group or corporation to have any reason to take any notice of your information out of that of millions of others.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+EN...lver/9349042.p?id=1219013209337&skuId=9349042

And it's pretty handy for quick logins. No offense, but Americans seem pretty paranoid about "Big Brother" invading their privacy. The truth is that very few people are even important enough for the NSA or any other government group or corporation to have any reason to take any notice of your information out of that of millions of others.

Hmm any other new laptops with that feature?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Completely agree. Analysis of everyone = Analysis of no one. Real intelligence is being able to find and stop real threats, not chase down every soccer mom's afternoon appointments..

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Hmm any other new laptops with that feature?

That's the only one I know off hand because I happened to buy one recently. It wouldn't surprise me if there are more in the near future.

Completely agree. Analysis of everyone = Analysis of no one. Real intelligence is being able to find and stop real threats, not chase down every soccer mom's afternoon appointments..

That's just what I mean. If Big Brother is spying on everyone then each person is just a grain of sand on the beach. Yeah, you can be seen, but you're part of such a big crowd that you're still effectively anonymous unless BB has some reason to look at you in particular, and as I said, the vast majority of people aren't that important.

Last edited:

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I used to own a sony vaio SZ which had one. It was okay but it was very finicky as far as accuracy and reliability went. Sometimes i just typed my password out of frustration.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
It comes down to this: if any other smartphone manufacture implemented a fingerprint reader into their phone, they would be blasted and it would be doomed. But if Apple does it, it will be a huge success and everyone will love it and "find it useful".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.