Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
All I wanna do is rip my own DVDs to a format for my iPad2. I've tried handbrake, and it's complicated and just not working for me (the last attempt using the preset ipad setting was an 8.7GB rip that didn't play). I am just looking for alternative software for this job. I don't mind paying either. Thanks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Mac the Ripper or MPEG Streamclip. For the latter you might need to get the MPEG2 plugin for QT.
And: If you don't have it yet, Perian is always worth to get. It's basically a library of codices other apps get access to.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Handbrake is really easy. Just pick the source, choose the ipad setting on the right and hit encode.
I did that. My result was an 8.7GB file, which is too big for my purposes. And it won't play either. I have another question about DVD rips: what do I select to play/open them? I chose iTunes because that's where I store them and play them from. But the one I ripped is distorted video and audio. I just find Handbrake confusing: I don't know whether to dl the 32bit or 64bit version, it gives me some message about not having something installed (but it rips anyway). I just want something easier that will rip a DVD to a file about .7-1 GB that looks good on my iPad. Handbrake does not seem to fit my need.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for the above reply. I didn't get that I need both Handbrake and the VLC player, but Handbrake does recommend it. I also presume that bacause I have a new iMac (i5) that I should use the 64bit version (I have the 32). I also presume that if I use RipIt and pay for it I can avoid the dual precessing dilemna that Handbrake/VLC player poses. I just wanna stick the DVD in there, hit GO, and have a approx 1gb version that plays on the iPad nicely.
My one other question: what do I use to open the ripped video file? Thanks, this is helping a lot.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Handbreak

My suggestion is leave handbreak settings alone, just click IPad for your format and the file should be about 1GB, almost all mine are that size or less. Don't turn everything up. Even using Handbreak on Apple TV setting my file comes out less then 1.5 GB., picture is great considering the size and a free app. Just don't mess with the settings, I did that when I first started and got huge files.

Nov 28, 2010
located
My one other question: what do I use to open the ripped video file? Thanks, this is helping a lot.
If it is an .mp4, then you could use the software that has already been mentioned, like VLC Player, Movist or QT Player.

My suggestion is leave handbreak settings alone, just click IPad for your format and the file should be about 1GB, almost all mine are that size or less. Don't turn everything up. Even using Handbreak on Apple TV setting my file comes out less then 1.5 GB., picture is great considering the size and a free app. Just don't mess with the settings, I did that when I first started and got huge files.

HandBrake as in brake, as it puts a handbrake on the CPU, it doesn't break anything.
Screen%20shot%202011-06-17%20at%2010.17.15%20PM.png

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Not sure what settings you are using or DVD's you are ripping. Been using Handbrake with Fairmount/VLC for my DVD's that I am moving to my ATV2 - with an average file size of 1.4GB.

Some have gotten to 3 or 4gb (very few). I would also recommend doing it at the ATV2 setting so that you don't have to redo the work later if you want to use the files on your HDTV set.

BTW, would be nice to have a one click sort of ripping - but I don't mind doing the rip first and doing a batch convert with Handbrake. YMMV

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Ok, now I understand why my rip using the iPad preset is 8-9GB. I next have to download the VLC program which then converts it to a smaller file. Is that about right?

Nov 28, 2010
located

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ok, now I understand why my rip using the iPad preset is 8-9GB. I next have to download the VLC program which then converts it to a smaller file. Is that about right?

Nup.

Handbrake does all the work, VLC just decodes the CSS copy protection.

Something wasn't done right if your rip comes out that big. Choose the AppleTV2 setting and go make some tea.

Full length feature films come out around 1.5 to 2.5GB at great quality.

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Nup.

Something wasn't done right if your rip comes out that big. Choose the AppleTV2 setting and go make some tea.

Thanks. So after I dl the VLC do I run it through that first, then Handbrake, or can it just do both in sequence? I have a feeling the rip was 8gb because I just used Handbrake alone (iPad preset) and told it to continue scanning anyway. The transcoded file wouldn't play correctly (audio nor video) when I put it into iTunes and used iTunes to open it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks. So after I dl the VLC do I run it through that first, then Handbrake, or can it just do both in sequence? I have a feeling the rip was 8gb because I just used Handbrake alone (iPad preset) and told it to continue scanning anyway. The transcoded file wouldn't play correctly (audio nor video) when I put it into iTunes and used iTunes to open it.

Uih,

HandBrake just does not VLC's library to decode the CSS, VLC Player does not need to run, just be on the same system as HandBrake.

Didn't the link I posted help in some way? Or do I just post it for myself?

thebignewt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Uih,

HandBrake just does not VLC's library to decode the CSS, VLC Player does not need to run, just be on the same system as HandBrake.

Didn't the link I posted help in some way? Or do I just post it for myself?
No, the link is helpful and thanks for it, honestly. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right after many foiled attempts. One last question: do I use the 32 or the 64bit Handbrake/VLC? I have a new iMac i5. Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No, the link is helpful and thanks for it, honestly. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right after many foiled attempts. One last question: do I use the 32 or the 64bit Handbrake/VLC? I have a new iMac i5. Thanks.

Okay.
Just use the 64-bit versions of VLC and HandBrake, but you could also use the 32-bit versions of both. But as the newer versions are 64-bit, use them, as they are probably more efficient.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
64bit or 32bit

If your system can handle 64bit obviously go with that, if not the. Go with 32bit. 64 is way faster at ripping, the difference between my 08 iMac and 10 Mac Pro is huge. Get 3-4 rips done on my Mac pro to just 1 iMac......no reason to get a Mac Pro, or i7 just for handbreak of course. Just telling you my experience.
I used handbreak on 3 plus hour movies and no more then 2.5

Also a lot depends on viewing. If you do an iPad rip it will be less the 1GB, most of the time, Apple TV is my largest files. So rip for your product, phone, pad, computer, TV, etc. I love hoe handbreak fixed that, since choosing iPad obviously looks better on iPad. AppleTV looks good on my iPad but takes up more space. So just keep that in mind for other uses.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
One more try....

When I first used handbreak I changed all the setting thinking I was getting a better result by doing so, but all I did was make huge files like your saying.

Just download VLC and simply have it in your apps. No need to open it.

Open handbreak, make sure you have the newest version, and fastest for your Mac.

When open click "source" choose a your DVD (sometimes I use a video TS file). Then choose Apple TV. Click go. If your movie is under 2 hrs you should be around 1.5 GB, most likely less.

I hated handbreak at first, cause I made it to hard on myself, not knowing it simple and straight forward. Again in my case I played with settings to much, so leave settings alone and you will soon have a nice library of your DVDs to stream, or put on your iPad, etc.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Nup.

I use the AppleTV2 option also. Works great and will transfer to an iphone. It is too big for an ipod classic though. If it looks good on a 42" TV and an iphone then I can't imagine it wouldn't be good for an ipad as well.

I would also suggest downloading MetaX. It is on Apple's downloads site. I don't think it is in the App store yet. It allows you to edit the tags of your ripped movies. If you are going to take the time to rip your DVDs for itunes, you might as well get the files in good shape. Meta X has a data base you can use to find tags or you can edit yourself. You can tag it as movie or TV, add the artwork, add chapter titles, and enter the rating. Some things like rating you cannot edit in itunes. When you import into itunes all these items will be in place. Quick note though: if you use the data base to get tags, you have to click the checkmark next to tags you want written. Just because a field has text doesn't mean it will be written. There may be other apps for this but Metax is the one I know.

The only problem I have with handbrake is with PAL disks. I hooked up an old DVD ROM drive I took out of a Powermac and changed it to region 2 (by inserting a region 2 disk and being asked if I wanted to change the drive). I was able to watch a region 2 PAL disk using the drive but when I rip it with handbrake or Mac the Ripper it doesn't work. One gave me video that was scrambled and the other froze up if I recall. It has been a while since I tried.

If I could get this to work, I'd be all set.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The only problem I have with handbrake is with PAL disks. I hooked up an old DVD ROM drive I took out of a Powermac and changed it to region 2 (by inserting a region 2 disk and being asked if I wanted to change the drive). I was able to watch a region 2 PAL disk using the drive but when I rip it with handbrake or Mac the Ripper it doesn't work. One gave me video that was scrambled and the other froze up if I recall. It has been a while since I tried.

I've bought quite a few region 2 PAL disks and have had no trouble with Handbrake. As long as the DVD Player doesn't launch when the DVD is inserted (which will cause the prompt to change regions) it rips them just fine while being set at Region 1. I expect that VLC takes care of this as VLC will also play the DVDs with no problem.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Handbrake is really easy. Just pick the source, choose the ipad setting on the right and hit encode.

He's looking for an alternative. Besides, so am I. Handbrake keeps ripping my DVD's in a weird "Unix Executable Format", despite me having it set to rip them in MP4 format in the drop-down. In fact I didn't need to set it that way, it was already set this way.

I zapped Handbrake and I'm trying a redownload to see if it's better. Will report back:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON. WHEN NAMING THE EXPORT FILE IN HANDBRAKE, DON'T DELETE THE .M4V FROM ITS NAME. THE APP SHOULD BE CLEVER ENOUGH TO ALLOW FOR THIS, BUT IT'S NOT. IF YOU DO YOU'LL END UP WITH A "Unix Executable Format" FILE.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Actually, there is nothing wrong with the file. It's Finder that doesn't know what it is. Handbrake generates it just fine. Just rename the transcoded output file and it will work fine.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
It's easy to accidentally change the settings in Handbrake and save them as defaults. I think that's what happened to the OP. There should be an option somewhere to reset the built-in presets.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
itunes Video Ripper

I downloaded a video from itunes on m4v format, from a post on this forum it was stated that "HandBreak" could rip it and convert it to mp4 format. This I did, however I cannot get idvd to make a DVD.
Is the mp4 formatted really ripped ? or is it just a reformatted video that idvd cannot recognize ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.