Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has purchased content discovery startup Matcha.tv for $1 to $1.5 million, reports VentureBeat. Matcha.tv is a company that formerly operated a website and mobile apps dedicated to providing recommendations for movies and TV shows based on user preference.

Before being quietly shutdown in May, the service aggregated content from popular streaming services like Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, and Amazon Prime to provide users with a list of TV shows and movies available across all of the sites. At the time the company's app went offline, Matcha.tv CEO Guy Piekarz told TechCrunch that the company was working on a "new direction" for the service.

matcha.jpg
A screenshot from Matcha.tv's iPad app​
Matcha.tv is basically an iOS app that provides a comprehensive overview of everything that's available for you to watch via cable TV providers (Comcast), streaming video services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime), and digital video stores (iTunes, Amazon). Additionally, you can manage what you watched from a universal queue, get video recommendations, and connect with social networks to see what your friends were watching/liking.
Matcha.tv's functionality seems like a solid fit for Apple, as the company offers a range of content from a variety of sources on its Apple TV. For example, customers can watch TV shows and movies via Netflix, iTunes, and Hulu using the device, and Apple has been working hard to extend its content offerings over the last several months.

The company added several new channels, including HBO GO and WatchESPN back in June and is said to have deals in the works for both a Time Warner Cable app and a VEVO app.

Apple confirmed the purchase of Matcha.tv to VentureBeat with a standard acquisition statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans." Under the terms of the acquisition, Matcha.tv's founders will continue to work at Apple for at least two years.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Video Discovery and Recommendation Startup Matcha.tv

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Fantastic. I can't wait for NetFlix-esque "People who enjoyed (title name) also enjoyed (other title name)" prompts in iTunes. :rolleyes:

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I hate my Roku 3.

I would rather use my Apple TV.

Unfortunately there is no TWC app.

Apple, why can't you open an App Store for the Apple TV?

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Good. The iTunes movie browsing interface is really lame. You'd be better off bouncing around illegally posted movies on YouTube until you find one that looks interesting and buy it.

eddystrasser

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
god I wish iTunes would just die already it's become bloatware.

one time it opened so lethargically and IE-esque without me prompting it that I groaned too hard and had to have esophageal surgery

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
More to fuel up.....

the rumor mill about the "upcoming" Apple TV set. And will be a nice addition to the Apple "hobby".....

:):apple:

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Any news on the tv front is good news... Well at least for me. I'd like something to come sooner than later but I am patiently waiting.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia

one time it opened so lethargically and IE-esque without me prompting it that I groaned too hard and had to have esophageal surgery

That's really funny, and I plan to steal it.

I would point out though that this isn't about iTunes, but the Apple TV interface I suspect.

MagnumOP

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
What this tells me is that Apple want to have a unified search feature across all media sources on the AppleTV.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
"Guys! Great news! We have a buyout offer!"
"From who??"
"Apple! All our hard work paid off!"
"Wow! We're rich! How much??"
"You guys all sitting down? One… MILLION… dollars!"
"……"

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
I hate my Roku 3.

I would rather use my Apple TV.

Unfortunately there is no TWC app.

Looks like we're in the same boat. The Apple TV has a WAY better user interface and experience than the Roku 3, but currently with TWC TV, Amazon Instant Video, and Plex the Roku 3 is king, content-wise. I actually bought the Roku 3 just because of the TWC TV app - I have no cable boxes or cablecards, so it saves me some money cause I just pay for the Digital TV + HBO. Oh, yeah - I forgot DTS pass-thru and the power to play BluRay mkvs (h264) without breaking a sweat (even the high data rates)!

As soon as Apple TV has an A7 and an app store, the Roku 3 is dead to me.

Last edited:

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Figuring out what to watch is the biggest pain with streaming devices. They should make discovery paramount. That was a big part of Netflix's success imho.

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
What this tells me is that Apple want to have a unified search feature across all media sources on the AppleTV.

Or across iTunes + a TV service partner... *cough* TWC *cough*

I really want Apple to come out with a service where live TV is provided by a cable partner and your "DVR" service gives you subscription access to iTunes content. Maybe that's why they are looking into commercial skipping - for on demand, not live TV.

hwrdrrk

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010

Yes, please help me understand this. Unlike each release of hardware where everything is so much better and cooler (i.e. ipod touch 2 vs. 4 vs. 5) why does it seem like each revision of iTunes is worse and worse and worse.

Back in the day... iTunes was a breath of fresh air compared to windows-based mp3 software, now I feel like I'm using something clunky designed by Microsoft.

This is not intended as rant or complaining -- just curious to hear an educated explanation as to why iTunes has become so "bloated"

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I think what would make the Apple TV a total winner is if they've managed to get the rights for things like Hulu and Netflix in countries other than the US. I'd buy one just for that reason.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Apple has terrible search in pretty much everything, app store, mail, apple.com, spotlight, finder....for some reason they just cant get it right at all

I would explain my reasoning but i don't think anyone cares

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004

I feel your pain. I've been saying this since long before the streaming AppleTV was released. The App Store is the killer "app" for this.

But once they open that door... they can't shut it again. And if it turns out the cable partners are not all too happy with what ends up on the App Store (likely the apps that *WE* want would piss them off)... that might kill the negotiations that have likely been going on for years.

Note to cable companies... if *YOU* continue to provide me more targeted channels over IP (even if not fully ala carte)... and let me do it on an App in the AppleTV, I might consider never cutting the cord. If you continue to be *******s?

Shake the whole thing up... Cable companies basically become a sort of network themselves that provide access to certain content they buy in bulk. Hey Cable Companies... you could be Netflix *AND* my ISP. Continue to piss me off? You'll be lucky if I continue to pay you as an ISP.

^ This above story excites me. This is the sort of purchase that makes me think Apple wants these two guys to work on a single interface to tie all these things together. Of course, just a wild guess which is probably completely inaccurate, but... at least this is the first sign that something is cooking at Apple in this space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.